Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Popping sounds in my amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by hfasteve, Nov 24, 2017.

1. hfasteve

hfasteve TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I just got a Goodsell super 17 on reverb about two days ago. I played for an hour the day I got. It with no issues. Today after a few minutes of playing I started getting a loud intermittent popping sound followed by a slight decrease or increase in volume. Could this be a tube issue? Maybe something got knocked in shipping. Thanks for any help you all might have.

2. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Did it ship with the tubes in it?

3. hfasteve

hfasteve TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Yes it did. It was double boxed with a ton of packing peanuts protecting the inner box.

4. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Call Richard! He will get it sorted out for you.

uriah1 and jondanger like this.

5. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I'd think about reseating the tubes and trying any known good tubes in the amp before doing anything else. Even boxed up like that it can be a rough ride for an amp with the tubes installed. Best practice is to wrap the tubes individually and ship in a separate box.

6. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Could be anything with the details we have, but shipping amps is always interesting. I've been pretty successful with no issues, but I overpack and pull the tubes from combos.

Could be a tube problem, and that's the easiest thing to check. If you have the right tubes on hand try and swap them out, one at a time, while checking each time to see if the issue is resolved.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Is it a new or used one?

There are quite a few things that cause popping sounds. As mentioned, it could be a loose tube or a tube itself. It could be an arcing tube socket, plate resistor, loose contact somewhere - try reseating the tubes first. If that doesn't do it try moving the tubes around while it's on - if that causes it the specific tube socket probably needs to be retensioned, something a tech would need to do - same with most things beyond that.

8. hfasteve

hfasteve TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for the replies! I tried reseating the tubes. No luck there. I ordered some new tubes so I can try swapping them out. I also contacted Richard Goodsell. He gave me s few things to look for like a power tube that’s glowing much more than normal. He was really helpful and said if I couldn’t figure it out then I could send it to him where he would fix it for free minus tubes and shipping. That kind of blows my mind. This year I’ve made my first foray into boutique amps and am shocked by the custom service.

Andy B, uriah1 and corliss1 like this.

9. hfasteve

hfasteve TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Just wanted to update this Incase anyone else has this issue. I replaced the el84 power tubes and it seems to have fixed the problem!

10. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Richard is a great guy to deal with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.