Poplar Body might be...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FrontPU, Mar 10, 2019.

1. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

... one of the most underrated tone-wood species for instruments, I had thought that way forever. I really like Danelectro guitars and think one of the secrets of their unique (to me "magical") tone might be the use of poplar. But had no chance to try a tele/strat built with a poplar body till now.

The chance suddenly came to me the day before yesterday thanks to the incredible bargain by our friend/ great pickup builder Rob Di Stefano, who crafted it, the poplar/rose tele (pics below), for the incredible bargain sale at classified page here.

I bought the guitar Friday and could open the box Saturday (1day priority free shipping! lol), and now Sunday morning, I'm still playing it. Yes that's right, I couldn't stop, didn't sleep, had to keep playing it even unplugged all night.

The guitar became my number 1, plugged (through fabulous Cavalier Fat Lion set) or unplugged, it's the number 1. If you also are interested in a poplar body, you shouldn't hesitate to try or own one! IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1916.jpg

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Actually I'm doing a dano influenced scratch build and from my research, only the '54-'55 years were poplar bodies. They were the narrower shaped bodies with pickups under the pickguard.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/silver...tro-influenced-low-budget-lo-fi-build.925611/

After that they were Masonite on poplar or pine frames. I agree with you on the poplar though. Poplar and basswood are the most inexpensive hardwoods around here. If Fender was located east of the Mississippi, poplar would have been the wood over alder, which botanically ( from what I've read, are cousins).

BorderRadio, FrontPU and nojazzhere like this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

If memory serves me right, I think that the MIM Fender Standard series in the 90's were made from Poplar, and I thought that they sounded great.

4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

there were a few mid 90s American Fenders made of poplar...I thought it was a negative. Important thing is that you found a guitar that you really like

FrontPU and nojazzhere like this.
  5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

It shouldn't get a bad rap. If you look at the numbers side by side (janka hardness, modulus of rupture, modulus of elasticity) with alder, they are very comparable. The only real advantage alder has is in appearance, it's more suited to trans finishes.

FrontPU likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Right. Most 90s MIM models were multi-piece poplar with a veneer front and back. The Standard Strat and Tele, Jimmie Vaughn Tex Mex Strat, and James Burton Standard Tele are examples. They changed to alder starting in 2000.

There's no measurable sonic difference between poplar and alder. The biggest factor is the individual chunk of wood you have: does it sound good or not?

FrontPU and guitarbuilder like this.
  7. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

I wish I had enough knowledge/experiences/ability to talk about the correlation between a certain wood species and its weight/density variations... And maybe better skills to write in english (which would be more important in my case). :p
    Sorry but I have to sleep a bit. Thank you all for leaving interesting comments, I'll read them all later more seriously. Have a great day!

8. dragonfire709

dragonfire709 TDPRI Member

Both my main 2 guitars are poplar and sound great. They are also both really light. I loves em.

Here’s no. 1.

19EB5B0B-DEA7-450C-A11A-C07EA6A9D440.jpeg

Crobbins, RYAN1987M and FrontPU like this.
  9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

My #1 has a basswood body (Ibanez JS1200) and I absolutely love it. I would use a poplar body in a second if I had one.

FrontPU likes this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've always wondered about using poplar as a guitar body since it is the closest thing to tonewood that I can buy locally.
    I did this glue-up a couple of weeks ago and it's going to become a Strat within the next few minutes, but at 9.7 pounds it may turn out alittle heavy. We'll see.
    20190310_091000.jpg

Attached Files:

Crobbins and FrontPU like this.
  11. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

My new little Epi SG Vintage has a poplar body and I love it ! My next build might just be poplar. I forget what the neck wood is but the whole thing is light . Snappy and responsive.

FrontPU likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My #1 has a poplar body with an ash veneer...I’ve always wondered how much the type of wood contributes to my love of this instrument.

FrontPU likes this.
  13. Sol1

Sol1 TDPRI Member

Yep, if it's good for this beauty

then it's good for every other guitar. I don't know why it's not more popular.

Crobbins and FrontPU like this.
  14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have two white poplar bodies that have good sustain properties.

Both have very tight neck pockets. One sports an Allparts TRO-V neck, the other a Classic Player Baja neck.

A luthier friend of mine claims. The tighter the neck pocket, the better sustain.

FrontPU likes this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Gerald Weber was a fan of poplar in speaker cabinets as well. As mentioned, the only drawback was the appearence wasn't as nice as alder.

FrontPU likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

I suspect my '98 MIM Strat may be poplar. It's killer for sure.

FrontPU likes this.
  17. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

o_O

FrontPU likes this.
  18. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Poplar is wonderful!

My TeLP is one piece poplar, but it's pretty heavy at 8 lbs 6 Oz.

Sounds great though :)

FrontPU likes this.
  19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a '94 that has a 5 piece poplar body.

It plays and sounds as good as most Strats I've ever played.

20. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I have a USA Clapton Alder Strat, and my 98 MIM upgraded to be a Clapton electronically. (both have Tex Mex pickups though). I prefer the MIM just slightly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.