Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Pop" sound when engaging tone pot.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by LutherBurger, Mar 20, 2017.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    When I installed my Fender 250k no-load tone pot I also installed the .022uf capacitor that came with it. Lug 1 of the no-load pot is connected to lug 3 (input) of the 500k volume pot, and the capacitor runs from lug 2 (wiper) of the tone pot through lug 1 (ground) of the volume pot and onto the case of the volume pot, which is connected to the sleeve of the output jack (also ground). Lug 3 of the tone pot is not connected to anything.

The tone pot works exactly as it should, but there is occasionally a slight electrical "pop" sound when I turn the knob from 10 to 9, bringing the capacitor into the circuit. It doesn't happen every time, so my uneducated guess is that the capacitor is somehow building up a small charge when the tone control is disengaged, and then discharging it into the circuit via the volume pot's input when the tone control is engaged.

Here are my questions:

1. Could I be correct about the source of the "pop"?
    2. Is my capacitor faulty, or is this normal... or is there another explanation/potential remedy?

Thank you very much for your help.

2. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    The pop is prob the contact as it crosses over the open patch of the sweep.

3. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Try this! It 'smooths out' the tone as it cleans. And it gives off a pleasing tonal TONE.jpg fragrance, too..

4. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Tried that already. My hands are soft and caressable, but the guitar still pops.

Mekhem likes this.

5. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    The pop is indeed the result of a small buildup of charge as the cap sits open to space on one end while the control is on "10". There is a way you can fix it: put a 1M to 1.5M resistor across the cap (in parallel with). This will allow the cap to stay discharged while your control is on 10.

Some may suggest that this will change your sound somewhat. In theory, it might make a slight change that can be calculated by those who know how to do the math, but when I say slight I mean that at 1.5M I think you won't hear a difference. I use this trick on my guitars with similar tone circuits, and it works well. The smaller the resistor (1M vs 1.5M) the better it is at controlling the pop, but the more you will likely hear a change in the tone control. For larger caps (like your 22nF), I use the 1M.

Wally and LutherBurger like this.

6. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Thank you, Tele-phone man.

I think I only have a handful of 470k resistors at home, and I know for certain that I don't possess the skill to string two or three of them together. Next time I'm near a Radio Shack (my local ones, four and ten blocks away, have closed), I'll pick up some higher value resistors.

7. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    OK, I learned today that my nearest Radio Shack (about 30 blocks away) is preparing to close for good, so I went down there. They were blowing out all of their electrical components at 90% off, so I picked up a 5-pack of 1M resistors for 19 cents. I also grabbed two packages of capacitors and a tube of solder. My grand total including tax was $2.38.

Thanks again for the advice, @Tele-phone man.

8. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I finally got around to installing a 1M resistor in parallel with the .022uF tone capacitor this morning, and I am pleased to report that it solved the problem just as @Tele-phone man said it would.

9. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.