Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Poor Poor Pitiful Me Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by galen, Dec 6, 2018.

1. galen

galen TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Union Hall, Va
    Have a listen to Linda Ronstadt’s Poor Poor Pitiful Me and zero-in on the lead guitar. I don’t know the guitar, amp, and pedal(s) that were used on the recording, but I’m trying to replicate the sound with my Tele (single coil PUPs) and my Fender Twin Reverb.

I’m interested in your thoughts about possible pedals that could give me the grit and growl lead similar to what is on the recording.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Waddy Wachtel.
    He used a red early 60s Strat and a 60 burst Les Paul with a Bigsby a lot at the time.
    Live, he used Music Man Amps.
    When I saw him, circa 1980, with LR there were no pedals of any kind on the stage.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2005
    bloomington, in
    Great player. Unless you want to dime your Twin, I think you could use any decent OD and approximate the sound, galen.

4. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Waddy is known for his "Les Paul into a cranked Marshall" sound, no pedals.
    Al

Treynor likes this.
  5. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Can't find the link, but in a recent interview Mr. Wachtel revealed he used two Blackstar amps, 40 watts maybe, clean channels, cranked, both pre-amp and master. No pedals as I recall. Veddy, veddy old school.

Treynor likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Premier guitar did a rig rundown. No pedals. Not even a compressor or boost or delay or reverb.

So yep. A tubescreamer or a blues driver would get you there.

Treynor likes this.
  7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Seems like I read that he used a Fender Champ cranked on that album. I’m thinking a mild od pedal with your twin would get in the ballpark

8. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I am playing in a Linda Ronstadt tribute show. On that tune I use the same combo of pedals that I use for most of my rock lead work. I have two separate boards with completely different pedals, but both get me in the ballpark. Start with a fairly flat frequency mild crunch pedal. On my big board I use a Tech21 Plexi-Drive. On my mini-board I use a Boss Power Stack. Both of those pedals are capable of huge gain, but they can be set to a lower crunch. This is my rock rhythm base tone. I try to sculpt it to sound like my clean sound but with some crunch. IOW, flat mids and bass.
    For the lead, I pre-drive that pedal with something else that is also set to a light crunch and a little more than unity gain; boosted, but not massively. I like something in this position that has a touch of midrange hump, no extra bass, but nowhere near a TS in mid-boost. On the big board I use a Boss OD3 or a Dani CoolCat TOD vs 1 for this function. On the mini board I use Rowan Rumbler, which is a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Zendrive. It works like a champ. The stack combination gives me a snarling lead sound that cleans up well and just works for a tune like this one.
    Bear in mind, I did not select these pedals in an attempt to cop the particular tone of that recording or any other. I just needed a good rock sound that would fit that tune and many others in that vein.

Treynor likes this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

les paul mm amp...

I'd probably use a zen drive to get that sound at lower volumes.

snottyboy and Treynor like this.
  10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    On this clip I hear what is probably some post production slap on the guitar. Yup, an AIAB would do it.

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Quite possible, being live you're going to deal with some leakage too.

Damn, could Linda sing. Glad we were blessed with hearing those pipes.

And what a band. Total package.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I would think that Watchel had the mids all of the way up on that MM amp to get to that sound. Great player in any situation in which I have heard him.
    To get that sound with a Tele, one would want have a good EQ pedal in addition to boost because a Tele just doesn’t have the meat that the Les Paul does. Sidenote: whatever guitar Billy Gibbons is playing is run through a high dollar, dedicated EQ unit and set up to sound like Pearl Gates.

13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Maybe the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster?

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I have no experience with that, but every single coil player who wants Hot sounds has a high Gain and/or a boost pedal. In the old days of low gain amps, they ALL used a boost of some sort.

15. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    WW gets that tone out of any guitar and rig he plays, across his whole career -- not because of his hands (only) but because it's not . hard tone to duplicate with the right settings on everything (and an environment where you can play loud). It's also easy to duplicate with pedals because a vast number have been designed to this specific purpose. Of course, with WW it's the combination of tome and notes -- melody, phrasing -- that make all the difference in the world. My favorite WW solo is "Johnny Strikes Up the Band" w/ Warren Zevon. Not at all fancy or tricky, but totally monumental, and impossible to duplicate not because of the tone or the notes, but because of the command of touch and expression.

16. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK

Without watching it again it’s cranked amps but there’s a boost ( Fulltone 2b) for his strat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.