Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pony Express build thread for OCD's 1st T-classic

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PonyExpress, Oct 6, 2017.

1. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    From what I've heard Rustoleum takes a very long time to dry enough to sand and buff. Up to a month.

2. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    CRAP! it sanded just fine. But polishing is a no go right now. Wish I had known that. Thanks RR

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

3. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Here's what I found..
    "Re: Rustoleum acrylic lacquer curing

30 days is more typical of most reactive finishes to reach near full hardness.
    Evaporatives like true lacquers and shellac can be much less, but, number and thickness of coats plays a big role in cure time since it is through evaporation of the solvent only.

Spray cans typically dry faster to touch since they are usually thinned more than what one would need in a spray gun.
    But ultimate time to full cure is dependent on the primary resin used plus any modifiers.

Rustoleum products.. it's hard to say what is actually in the can these days.
    Many of the so called "lacquers" they sell use an alkyd resin as the primary resin. Alkyd takes about 30 days to reach near full cure/hardness.
    It should dry hard enough to handle within a week.

If you need near immediate full hardness the only viable options are evaporatives like shellac and true lacquers and catalyzed finishes (2 part urethanes, polyesters, lacquers, etc.).

Some of the waterborne acrylics will achieve near full cure in 1-2 weeks, and can be accelerated a little with a catalyst. Target Coatings and General Finishes make good examples of these types of products. They are designed for spray application and are not available in spray cans."

4. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    well I read the can and it said "fully dry in 24 hours"
    but I guess dry and hard are two different things.

5. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Is this what they call watching paint dry? Patience is a virtue.... :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.