Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pony Express build thread for OCD's 1st T-classic

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PonyExpress, Oct 6, 2017.

1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    Templates arrived today. Man it like I'm a little kid a christmas!!!

So I'm thinking that I should go ahead and get the bridge, neck plate, string ferrules, neck screws, tuners, control plate and pick guard to have at the ready for fitting / make sure everything right as I go.

What say yous guys with all the x-speriance?

Bu-daaaaaaaaaaaaaay

nojazzhere likes this.

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yes. Have your parts on hand first. No surprises.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Just be careful how you post your progress.....we don't want TDPRI to have a meltdown...:) ;) ;)

4. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    ordered lots of stuff yesterday from Darren Riley. Seemed to have best prices for real fender parts. got tuners, control plate, neck plate, pick guard, bridge,
    bone nut blank. jack ferrule.

looking at a electronics parts in kit form from Guitarelectronics.com.

Also looking at pickups at GFS. Like the idea of the Kwik plug system. Any cons?

Need to start ordering tools and frets etc.

Off today. Going to dads to cut out shape on band saw and route with template. Hope to complete all the router work today. Neck blank arrives tomorrow. Update tonight with pictures

5. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    So today went pretty good. could be better but most blems are under pick guard.

So next time I will stop short of full depth when drilling our wood with forstner bits so the points wont show. Drilled the string thru holes from the front about 3/4 of the way thru.
    front body after routing (1).jpg

Then drilled the ferrule recess with a 10mm brad point bit, then drilled out for the ferrule with a 5/16 brad point bit. Then drilled the string hole the rest of the way and they all met up perfectly.
    Used an 1/8" round over on the edges. That a really small round over. Is that all its supposed to be?

back body after routing (2).jpg

ponce, fenderchamp and John Nicholas like this.

6. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    If you're aiming for a vintage Tele look and feel, yes the 1/8 inch roundover is correct.

This is fantastic for a first time build!! Do you have some previous woodworking experience?

Welcome to the insane asylum. Building guitars is like eating potato chips, you can't build just one!!

7. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    I have built some cabinets in a remodel once , just piddling mainly. Its just comes naturally to me, working with tools and stuff

John Nicholas likes this.

8. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    UPDATE

so I've been busy. Had to clean out garage and build a workbench to work on. Wife kicked me off the dining room table.

20171011_185118.jpg

Then I made myself a fret cutting jig. Got the saw from harbor freight. It cut a perfect .030 slot. so I bought a cheap sharpening stone at HF and laid the blade on a flat surface and ran the stone over the blade, both sides and kept measuring the kerf till I got to to .024.
    Cuts a slot now that a .024 feeler gauge is a tight fit.

20171012_163759.jpg

Also got the white pick guard, truss rod, bone nut blank, and Darren Riley order should be here any minute.
    20171012_115258.jpg
    Tomorrow going to surface the maple neck blank to 1 1/8" and cut fret slots, and route and install truss rod.

Steveinthesticks likes this.

9. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta

10. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    And a deep freezer. It actually just 1 beer frig and the other is a brisket aging frig.

esetter likes this.

11. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee

12. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia

13. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    Update

yesterday installed the truss rod in the maple blank. Used a low profile double action rod from stew mac and put it in from the back of the neck. Put in a walnut skunk strip.
    Then cut the nut slot and all the fret slots.

20171015_133505.jpg

20171015_133515.jpg

20171015_133544.jpg

I even got the nut slot perefect

So far everything is going well. Waiting on the 9.5" radius profile router bit.

Got the lute from Darren riley yesterday also.

laid out the bridge and pick guard and control plate. Looks like everything is in the right place

20171014_142150.jpg

I bought the "squire" control plate. Whats the difference compared to the fender? thickness?

Mat UK likes this.

14. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

About the "squire" control plate . . . . I came across those when I was looking for a reasonably priced nickle-plated cover. I bought one from Steve at Angela Instruments; his description of the cover matched up with what I was wanting, so I bought it. All the holes are in the right place, the holes are the right size, and the nickle-plating is real nice. If you shop around a bit, the price is right too. I've bought a couple more since then :).

The only "problem" I've encountered with the Squire plate is that sometimes, when using the 4 position switches, the lever makes contact with the plate at the far end of the switch's travel - like in position 1 or 4. That is very easy to correct with a few strokes of the file to the lever; there is plenty of meat to the lever and you can file it in a way that will go unnoticed.

By the way, your build is coming along real nice!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Check the hole diameter on the Squier plate and make sure it is wide enough for American pot shafts (3/8"). If not, just drill it out. I find them to be high quality and thicker than the Fender. Don't hesitate to make some minor fitting so the pickguard mates perfectly with the control plate with no force required. And to get the best look, fit the pickguard and mark out the hole locations to mount it and then fit the control plate to the pickguard and mark the hole locations for the plate. You want to get the pickguard with an equal reveal all around its edges (and the bridge) for best looks. If it's off even a little it "shows."

Also, if you just mark but don't drill out all your hole locations, your wet sanding when the body is finished will be a lot safer and easier, and once it is all polished out and dry, then carefully drill the holes. There are some techniques that Google knows that will help keep it clean. Any open holes are a nightmare when wet sanding and can lead to finish cracking. I have used naphtha as the wet sanding agent, which does not harm the finish if it gets in holes, but notice the finish I get is quite inferior to that achieved with just water with a drop of dish soap. Thus, I now drill those pickguard holes last.

And I echo the compliments on what you're achieving with a limited shop. Heck, what you're achieving...period.

Rex

16. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    PS, those fret slots look kind of wide...do you have feeler gauges where you can measure the kerf that saw left? Those Horror Fight saws vary a lot. I have some that cut a very clean narrow kerf and some have a ton of set and cut much wider.

17. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    A .024 feeler fits tight. I have already used a triangle file to open the top of the slot. I honed the saw to get the correct slot width. I even cut on a test piece of wood and hammered in a fret and it went in tight. So I think I good but we'll see when I do all the frets in the maple.

18. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That's the way to do it. Should be fine. Stoning the edges of the teeth until the kerf is just right is the ticket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.