Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pontiac fact check. (trivial)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I had all but forgotten them, but I had a straight 8 53 hardtop, and a v8 56 four door hardtop Pontiac. Great cars at the drive in picture show!

El Tele Lobo and BobbyZ like this.
  2. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Yessir! Ernie’s parents had an early one he crunched into a parked car when he dropped his cigarette and bent down to get it. And then he got into motorcycles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    My first car was a '67 LeMans convertible with a straight six. Great car.

BobbyZ and brookdalebill like this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    I don't have time for the trivia check but the post did give me some thought. Early and for a while in my life Pontiacs were seen as good and classy and at times innovative. Later on they were just really crappy cars with extra plastic and gimmicks hung or stuck on them.

To be fair all GMs suffered that same change - becoming craptactular automobiles - but it also seemed like Pontiac lost some truly better design. Also to be fair, I'm glad GM and others have become better cars and to see some nice design and innovation even though I have no desire to buy a car as long as possible.

:)

P.S. There was also that time of standardization when you wondered and debated which GM engine your car had.

Boomhauer and BobbyZ like this.
  5. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penns Wood
    I don't know about the 6 cylinders, but v-8s were around long before 55.

I think Cadillac had one in the early 20s.

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cadillac had a 12 cylinder engine, too!

El Tele Lobo, BobbyZ and Wallo Tweed like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Glad your results were better than my Dad's!
    Great looking car!

BobbyZ likes this.
  8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Ah, high school cars from the late 60s-early 70s.

The rich kid at our school had a Shelby GT 350, the classic white/blue stripes. My cousin, whose dad (my uncle) owned an auto parts store, had an extremely tweaked SS 396 Chevelle.

I drove a TR 4A, when it ran. Already more into sports cars... A good friend got a Healy 3000 - the big 6 opened my eyes.

Then just before I turned 17 I drove someone else's BMW 1600. Discovered balance, good brakes, and high rev engines. Nothing was the same after that. I had a whole new set of aspirations.

Sorry for the highjack...

Nightclub Dwight and BobbyZ like this.
  9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Oh yeah Ford had the flathead V8 in 1932 and it wasn't the first V8. First common one though I believe.
    Even "modern" things like twin overhead cams and four valves a cylinder have been around over a hundred years. Just not on standard American cars.
    For that matter electronic fuel injection was on some Chrysler cars in 1958 a Bendix unit, that didn't hold up and the cars were refitted with dual four barrels by the dealers. Think there's one DeSoto that still with the EFI today.
    Bendix sold the idea to Bosch if I remember correctly, took a few years but that got the bugs out.
    Anyway, nothing new under the sun with cars. :)

WetBandit and Wallo Tweed like this.
  10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Yes, exotic and special stuff has been around a long time. To me the game changers were firms bringing the reliable variable valve timing to common folks along with engines designed to have a turbo.

I remember having a SHO Taurus, and now the near 300 HP V6 in my wife's minivan goes from a low RPM with torque cruiser to a 292 HP high rev screamer in an instant. All made more entertaining by the SE version of the van lowered, quicker steering and 19 or 20 inch rims that would have been exotic not too long ago.

The address or name escapes me but there's a site that compares cars from around 1948 to current. It is rather entertaining to realize a modern mainstream auto is a super car compared to what many of us rode in as kids (60's, 70's).

My twins and I saw a 1972 GM like I rode in at same age. One born in 2004 said "Papa, it's so stupid. It's all engine, fat doors and heavy steel". In 1972 that car was not so stupid and in general cars changed a lot for the better in the next 2+ decades.

Nightclub Dwight and BobbyZ like this.
  11. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    Only in about the first 100-150ft.... then you are in BIG trouble.

Low rpm tourque accompanied by a pretty flat tourque curve is EXCELLENT for getting a quick jump out of the hole, but then Horspower takes over... and that's where the inline 6 suffers... high rpm horspower needed to keep pulling.

schmee likes this.
  12. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I'd buy that just for the back seat. :)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I had a 1988 Pontiac Bonneville. It rusted out more quickly and severely than any other car I've owned.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    [​IMG]
    That's why I said, "If you build them right".[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

But that's not really a fair shake.... do the same mods to the V8.... like the supercharger (that is awsome btw) above and you wind up back in the same (V8 wins) boat...

Imagine the tourque of that supercharged inline in that tiny rail job... that would be fun.

Zepfan likes this.
  16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”Pontiac fact check. (trivial)”

Remember, fact check’s all need lovin’ ;)

BobbyZ likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Most brands offered a V-8 and Pontiac was the slow poke in leaving their straight eight in place so long. Prior to 1955, Pontiac had evolved into the Paw-paw car insofar as Hot Rodders were concerned because their straight eight was for pulling stumps and would not tach up fast at all and kids who had them got clobbered in stoplight racing. That's sort of why my Grandfather (new driver at age 60) found himself owning a '53 or '54 Pontiac my uncle had gotten sick of real fast, as his first car. Even him, it didn't take long for Grandfather to buy a Buick with a V-8.

Yeah, Lincoln and Cadillac and others had had them for decades and Ford's small V-8 in 1932 absolutely won them the loyalty of Bonnie and Clyde and so many other, more lawful motorists.

The Kaiser brand got driven out of the USA car market (last cars, a few 1955s) for Argentina because they didn't have a V-8. And it is a terrible shame that Hudson and Packard did not merge (instead of what did happen) because IMO all Hudson needed was a V-8 and I'd probably be driving a Hudson today had they just gotten their hands on a nice V-8 like Packard had.

18. BobbyZ

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Chevy's small block V8 came out in 1955 too, before that even the Corvette had a 6 banger and Power Guide.

19. BobbyZ

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Typical American car thinking. Try a BMW, Jaguar or Mercedes inline 6 cylinder sometime, there's others too. No comparison at all the the low tech, workhorse, low RPM American types. :)

20. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    I bought a 67 Mercury Cougar instead of a 67 LeMans from a guy I worked with, because the Pontiac had a 6 cylinder, and the 6 had the usual lifter noise. The Cougar was a POS. Oh, well...

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.