Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Polyester vs. Polypropylene Tone Caps?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Levi Gonzalez, Jul 1, 2011.

1. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2010
    Brampton, ON
    doesn't that just mean you should make the eq pedal the first thing in the chain?

2. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2010
    moon
    Put an eq first in your chain right after the guitar and lose the tone control and cap in your guitar completely!!!!! This thread will never end..........

3. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    But, what kind of caps should we put in the EQ?

4. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2010
    moon
    What ever ones you'd like as for me always the cheapest... Lots of big companies paid some engineers lots of big money to figure out this riddle and came to the same conclusion.. The cheapest is always best.

5. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those decisions at those big souless companies were made by bean counters, not by people who cared about great tone. Cheapest is always best for manufacturers, but not for worshipers at the alter of tone.

;)

See, there really is no end to this discussion. It's all about what you believe.

6. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Absolutely brilliant authentic techno-babble! :cool: I'm well impressed. :eek:

Thing is, the moon was further down than they allowed for and so they used more fuel when should have had enough fuel for several such approaches and been able to over-shoot by hundreds of miles, that was the plan - after all on the first go they didn't really know what to expect down there. They've been trying to brush this one under the carpet for years. :oops:

7. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Wheels? - this thing's got caterpillar tracks, it keeps crawling around.

Faraday, Prof Michael Faraday FRS, originally a bookbinder (being the son of a blacksmith and a bookbinder) - gave us the Farad. Whilst learning to make books, he read them to improve his education. Einstein kept a picture of Faraday in his study. Ben Franklin did kites.

Corona discharge only happens in a semi-vacuum or conducting-gas atmosphere. Bad news if you are a diode and unrequited in fizzy drinks (Corona was a carbonated drinks brand, the original Orangeade and later Lemonade).

8. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2010
    moon
    Great tone is in the fingers and ears of the beholder and at one time people believed the earth was flat.. Great insights you all bring to this perplexing thread!!!!!

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Well if you do actually reside on the moon. You got your wish. If you went there in a NASA craft, you arrived in a vehicle from a company that supplied the cheapest bid.

I went to Rat Shack the other day and bought 2 caps and I think I paid $1.79 for the both of them. They work just fine, I'm good with it.

Spud out!;)

10. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2010
    moon
    I'm glad Ratshack's caps worked well as I new they would. Actually I'm in Indiana but a lot of folk think I'm out there.

11. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    I would expect Radio Shed's capacitors to work just fine. But with the interweb and a postal service, there's really no need to pay quite that much.

Have we done flux capacitors yet?

12. hotdotdog

hotdotdog TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2011
    glendora ca
    As an audio engineer for over 30 years and a guitarist for over 40, I have to say there are differences sometimes. I have a Les Paul that definitely sounds different with the Orange Drop but I have had several guitars before that where I tried different caps and didn't notice a difference. It really depends on how well the circuit is designed, the quality of the pickups, pots and wire as well as what you're listening through and listening for.

13. Dan_in_Wy

Dan_in_Wy TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Ha! I was just looking at a push pull pot thats been kicking around the shop for the last 6 months. I said 'What the hell did I buy this for?'.

14. Dan_in_Wy

Dan_in_Wy TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    FWIW I buy into the NOS PIO mojo. I think they sound better.

15. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Oh crap, this thread ALMOST died.

16. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    To my ears there is sonic difference. I mean if u play an ibanez with very hot humbuckers thru the metal zone you wouldnt hear the difference in the used caps but hey this is telecaster forum so let me tell you this: Polyester more vintage with nicer mids and Polypropylene more hi fi 80s like but depends also on used pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.