Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Polyester vs. Polypropylene Tone Caps?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Levi Gonzalez, Jul 1, 2011.

1. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Silver mica.

Not until TDPRI gets around to enforcing the ban on discussion of religious topics.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Here's the bottom line: Go with what you like. If a PIO floats yer boat, set sail. These threads are pretty much useless, but they always come up. My advice is to try 'em instead of asking which is best. This goes for just about every "best" thread. There is no "best", just what you like. And the only conclusive way to find out what is "best" for you is to try 'em yourself. The rest is just an opinion poll. And we all know what opinions are like.:lol:

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Exactly:!:

By the way, that cap I recieved from you with the Maverick works perfect Fezz.

4. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    That looks like a cool solution :idea:

Unfortunately, now I have seen that I now have a mental picture of an imaginary gentleman (ladies are wise enough save their OCD habits for vital things - like shoes) gently raking a chord, with head cocked in utmost concentration ... flipping the switch, head still cocked, raking that chord .... flippin' that switch
    Thinking ..
    " .. Maybe , maybe .. just maybe I did hear the slightest of differences, but .. it was sooo slight .. hmmm .. did I strum quite the same .. ?

Dang it! this is about minutiae of tone ...... vital .. I must reach a conclusion by sunrise .. I have my AC/DC cover band gig tomorrow night .. must reach decision on caps .. "

;)

5. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ouch!

6. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Polyester? Paper in Oil? Amateurs. Anyone who's anyone uses a Leyden Jar in their guitar. Pure vintage tone. Talk about GLASSY!

7. Levi Gonzalez

Levi Gonzalez Tele-Meister

May 21, 2011
    US of A
    This thread has been hijacked by soo many wise-guys, that if a book was written on it's history, it would rival War And Peace in number of pages...

8. Guitar_Ninja

All I'm saying is, 1960s is vintage tone? Try 1860s. You won't go back.

9. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Werd.

10. SPUDCASTER

I wasn't sure what a "Leyden Jar" was. I looked it up, it's the original capacitor, Ben Franklin kinda stuff.

As I was reading the article, it mentions a term "corona discharge".

I myself have had a few "Corona discharges", but that's a whole different story. There I was in Cabo San Lucas...........

I'm not so sure the "Jar" is going to be very practicle. But may be an option, maybe Rob D. can give us an opinion.:rolleyes:

Sorry OP, when it gets to about a hundred posts on the subject of caps, the wheels just kind of fall off.:)

11. overlook1977

overlook1977 TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Raleigh NC
    The type of caps used in the tone circuit could possibly be the LEAST significant component in the overall sound or performance of a guitar, regardless if someone can or can't hear a difference. Your time is better spent scrutinizing the pickups, shielding, type of wood, the tuners, the nut, etc. etc.

12. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2010
    Brampton, ON
    i find these threads fascinating for all the info you get, but i never participate because i really don't have anything to add, but i do have a question this time

if you get one of those eq pedals with a whole bunch of sliders you can do pretty much anything to the "tone", more than 1 knob with 100 capacitors on a switch of any price attached. isn't that a more practical solution to these questions?

13. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

An EQ pedal takes what is there and removes or boosts some of it. No so bad when you are removing frequencies but not so cool and potentially noisy when you are boosting something that is not actually there.

It's generally better if what you want is there in the first place or earlier in the chain.

14. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2010
    Brampton, ON
    So then people think that by changing out the tone cap they are going to put in what wasn't "there" before? interesting, never thought of it like that - is that actually what happens by changing tone caps?

15. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Not necessarily putting anything in that isn't there but definitely dealing with things earlier in the signal chain.

16. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm thinking you could build a giant stompbox with a buiilt-in volume pedal as the tone control. With the right marketing (read that however you prefer), it could be HUGE! Well, maybe just large & obtrusive.

17. Guitar_Ninja

They're also really good for zapping people in the lab, so I could see a dual use as crowd control during unruly sets.

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    So, you take your Leyden Jar tone cap, and mount it on a mic stand. You paste on a label that says 'Tips'. As the paper money buiilds up, the capacitance goes down. As the coins add up, the capacitance goes up. In the right setting, you could make a bunch of money as the audience pays for the tone they like.

See now, these threads aren't useless!

19. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I read that a one pint bottle makes about 1nF. Seems obvious what kind of 1 pint bottle needs to be used, but to get to .022uF, we'd need 22 bottles. Make it a case & call it good enough. That shouldn't be too hard to haul around, right?

20. SPUDCASTER

All those guys in Tennesse and North Carolina would finally have an excuse for all the Mason jars on stage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.