Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Poly over nitro?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by jjkurtz, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jjkurtz

jjkurtz Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2006
    Southaven, Mississippi, USA
    I have a Strat that I sealed with ReRanch nitro sealer, painted with ReRanch nitro surf green, and clear coated with Deft. The finish looks good but I'd like it to be a little more durable so I'm wanting to use poly. Since it's nicely filled and smooth already, can I scuff it, shoot some black Krylon over it, put on some clear poly, and sand/buff it out or do I need to strip the nitro off and start over?

2. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

I think that is backwards from the way it works best.

3. jjkurtz

jjkurtz Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2006
    But will it work? I want the durability of poly but I don't feel like stripping the guitar again.

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Hey Josh,

I'm not sure if the Krylon is compatible with the nitro. Do you have any left over you could test on a scrap?

I'd be afraid the solvents in the Krylon might make the nitro go south and peal.... get that cracked earth look.

You should test the Poly over the Krylon too.... Just to be on the safe side.

Although you could probably put some shellac on top of the nitro then shoot the krylon on top of that. Use the Shellac as a sealer maybe?

5. jjkurtz

jjkurtz Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks John. I'm off work on Friday so I'll do some experimenting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.