Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Poly over Acrylic Laquer?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by JDRNoPro, Jan 3, 2009.

1. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    I've laid a color coat of automotive acrylic laquer. Are there any problems in topcoating with clear poly(minwax) vs. clear acrylic laquer(krylon)? Reason I'm asking is I think I may be able to do a more level clear coat with poly and end up doing less wet sanding. If this is OK how long should I wait before spraying the poly........or is it better to use acrylic topcoat? This is on a experimental cheapo project.

Thanks!

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Test it on a scrap. Only way to really know for sure.

I wouldn't think there'd be any problem, but don't take my word for it!!!!

3. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    Thanks for the response, Axis29 - I didn't think so either and did a scrap test which seems OK.

The metallic color coat came out really nice and uniform.......I decided to topcoat with acrylic laquer to avoid any chance of a longer term reaction.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Good decision, I would think. IIRC, lacquer over poly is acceptable, but due to the shrinkage factors, poly over lacquer can be problematic.

5. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I would say it was not a good idea. The solvents in the poly are stronger than the lacquer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.