Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Poll: Which to pair with a Celestion Blue in an AC30?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 6BQ5, May 16, 2018.

Which would you pair with the Celestion Blue?

1. Celestion Vintage 30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've got an AC30CH with a 2x12 cab currently loaded with a Vintage 30 and a G12H30 Anniversary. I'd like to try a Celestion Blue, but its a pricey enough speaker that I really only intend to get one for now. Clearly I'm going to try both at some point, but between the V30 and the G12H30, which would you pair with a Celestion Blue?

2. Salsg

Salsg TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2018
    SoCal
    I have tried those combinations, and definitely the G12H30 with the Blue. Complements the Blue nicely, just as it complements a V30.
    Blue and V30 sounds good too but not as good as the Blue & G12H30

blakestree and 6BQ5 like this.

3. 6BQ5

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you! I was hoping I'd find someone who has tried both. I appreciate it!

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    In one week I had two of those amps in for new power tubes. One had Blues and one had the Fanes. I much preferred the Fanes. Fwiw, the owner of the amp with the Blues sold it soon after the retubing because he finally gave it a good listening and agreed that he did not like what the amp did. Ommv....

5. 6BQ5

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Do you remember which Fanes?

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    6BQ5, no, I didn’t care to take note. Fwiw, I have never played on one of those amps which made me think I would want one...and therefore I didn’t care about the model of speaker. I just noted that the Blues did nothing good for that amp, imho. Ommv....
    If I had one of those amps and it had Blue Alnico celestial in it, I would pul” the speaker’s for a quick sale and put some Eminence GB12’s in the amp....if the impedance was a match...I might have to since they only make the GB128. They stopped regular producti9n of the 16 ohm version..GB1216....some time back. But.....it would have to be some kind of strange deal that was very profitable for me in order for me to own one of theses amps. Again..and obviously...ommv. And that is good...we each have our own ears.

7. 6BQ5

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gotcha. Thanks!

8. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    both great speakers but that v30 is dominant, more in your face. def a great recording and live use speaker.it will cut.when we mic in studio the v30 has to be tweaked in and out , best cab i have is v30 & gt75..it's very balanced but not as good for lower vol home playing, its decent but the v30 is so efficient it always overrides. just got 2 new cab set ups with lower efficiency speakers, lots of of fun at lower level playing cause you can drive at a lower volume. srry for the rant just came off a 2 month speaker test...will say it really can customize your tone and don't be afraid to experiment to get what you are looking for !

6BQ5 likes this.

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I vote g 12. I've mixed and matched a few. Caviat to say never particularly saw what all the 90's buzz waz about the V.
    Creamback and alnico blue are my rig now.

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I was impressed by a blue + gold mix

that was some years ago, all i remember is that it was special; full, bright

that or i was drunk

but seriously, some boutique builders use that combo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.