Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Poast Your Gigging DIY Petal Boards!!1!!111!

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by noah330, Apr 17, 2018.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    OK, so this thread is to poast petal boards that people have made and also play actual gigs with. There are other board threads but many of them are focused on purchased boards and/or huge impractical for the gigging player's needs.

In addition to poasting a photo of the board also put the case and explain how you made it. This thread will hopefully be a good resource for other DIYers.

Here is one I made this morning. I got hired to do some shows with a fairly popular modern rock act (I think that's what you would call them) and so my setup needed to be simple, but reliable.

The board is a piece of 1/2" plywood that I had lying around. It was already stained and poly'd so I added the aluminum edging (Home Depot $10), a few rubber feet on the bottom (HD $3) and the handles (HD $6).

The cable is Mogami mini, which I really like and I tied down the cables using some cable tie locks available at Lowes or HD for a couple bucks.

The best thing that I encourage everyone to get is the rechargeable power supply. These are cheap (about $100) and eliminate another run of power cables to your board. Also, they're DC, so there's no ground loops. I have a white and a black and I alternate them every show. They last about 6 - 8 hours on a charge.

The case I actually bought at Harbor Freight for $30. I used spray adhesive to glue the (included) foam to the top. It's a really, really nice case and I was surprised to find it.

I use glow in the dark tape on my petals in case it's really dark on stage. A roll is maybe $5 at Wal-Mart, Target, HD, Lowes, etc....

Hopefully this gives some folks some ideas. Let's see yours!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster, Tone Eee and warrent like this.
  2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
  3. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    How did you make it?

4. Zzzen Dog

Zzzen Dog TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Glendale, CA
    Using the power brick is an interesting alternative for a smaller board with low amperage requirements. I like it.

noah330 likes this.
  5. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
  6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I just recently finished mine. The battery pack is mounted with zip ties in the internal cubby. I'm waiting on Amazon to deliver my velcro then I'll begin to populate it. I like the way you built the cover for yours, think I'll steal the idea.

This was built for playing in church where we have very little time to set up and soundcheck. I needed something that I could just plug into and go.

top_finished.gif
    back_finished.gif
    battery_build.gif

Chunkocaster and noah330 like this.
  7. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

Mar 22, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    P-O-S-T

for the love of all that's holy :D

8. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    LOL, there's always one in the crowd. (It bothered me too, but I just didn't want to be "that guy." ;))

stringslinger likes this.
  9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
  10. pickinpete

pickinpete Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I just threw this together from some scrap wood I had laying around...i think its oak! Walnut stain, 6 coats of poly on top and sides..3 on the bottom. I do urathane casting at work so I used some rubberized material for overmolded rubber feet. Its solid, It dont slide or move at all! image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

11. dweeb686

dweeb686 TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Chicago
    I think he was joking—He did also call it a petal board.

I just bought a Brute brand plastic storage tote hoping it would house my main pedalboard. Unfortunately the dimensions listed in the description were outside and not inside. Thought about returning it before realizing I could somehow convert it into a makeshift pedalboard, case, AND storage for cables/accessories.

It’s going to look pretty janky, but it will get the job done!

JuneauMike likes this.
  12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    This is my regular one for when I don't use teh HX. Mostly stuff I'vr used for 15-20+ years but still does the job ok.

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    advice - if u dont like a thread don't poast in it or put the person on ignore. problem solved.

14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    that's the small giggin bored for teh open jam!1!

dweeb686 and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Ha, I see what you did there.

Nice board.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. dweeb686

dweeb686 TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Chicago
    As mentioned earlier, here is my finished DIY pedalboard/case/storage creation

2C86CBE9-AAD2-4965-B0D0-870D12464B4C.jpeg AFB7B401-709B-48F5-A2C8-C29B36497E89.jpeg 61CF3E79-EFA5-4176-BEE2-A60028472119.jpeg 65315A89-4EC6-43E6-9425-2700C570E166.jpeg 0F446278-9D43-4AD7-AB93-3CF235C9BFA6.jpeg
    7802CDB8-062A-4601-9E36-0B9BF4B8FB3A.jpeg

The bin is 10 1/2” tall, which is shorter than a standard size, but it’s the perfect size to fit my pedal boxes, power supply, extra cables and whatever other accessories I might decide to throw in there (strap, capo, extra sets of strings, etc.)

The underside of the lid, the last photo, is lined with a durable nonslip rubber matting material that will keep the lid from getting worn out and also keep it firmly in place on wood and carpeted stages. I also used the leftover material to adhere some velcro patches to for my pedals in order to be able to lift it in and out of the box. It’s not super stiff but it’s not super flimsy so I just pull it taught when I lift it up.

Got all the products from McMaster-Carr:
    -Food grade plastic tote
    -Rubber matting, .3 cm thick (easy to cut with meat scissors)
    -Dual-sided adhesive (to line the lid with matting)
    -Velcro squares w/adhesive backings
    -super glue
    -fits under my guest bed

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.