Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Plywood baby !

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by fender4life, Apr 11, 2017.

1. assessor

assessor TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Sweden
    Excuse my ignorance. What's the pros (and maybe cons) with plywood?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    It's lighter than MDF, and a heck of a lot more durable.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup. You don't want MDF to get soaked.

4. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I wouldn't want any part of any amp to get soaked. Is there any relevant tonal improvements of plywood vs MDF ? This might be one of those " ask 10 people and get 10 different answers" type of question. Is there a definitive answer ?

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Well, it's been said MDF makes for a neutral sound, IE; doesn't add or subtract. Plywood has the ability to be more resonant but may create peaks and valleys in the freq spectrum that when well designed can be enhancing. If i had to guess i would say that fender changed at this point not only to make for a more durable gigging amp, but because they have revamped the processing and in doing so probably voiced it differently to work with the plywood. In other words, if they were ever going to change to ply the time to do it was when they were re-voicing the amp so they could take into account any peaks/valleys in the freq spectrum tha the plywood brought to the table and voice the amp accordingly. Just a guess. But i have tested the same speaker in a MDF cab then a ply cab with the same amp in the past (tube amp) and there was a significant improvement in tone. On the other hand i suppose it could go the other way if the amp used was voiced with MDF. In any case, ply is a better material as far as durability by far and tonally it can improve tone quite a bit when things are all in line.

privatesalt and assessor like this.

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    That's a well thought out answer:) When I ran the Mustang III through an external cabinet, there was an improvement in tone , especially with resonance, but it was also going through different speakers. If the Mustang and external cab had the same speakers, that would have been far more telling for me.

7. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    Any time you add more glue to the mix, you are bound to get less resonance. That could be a good thing in some rigs. A lot of the resonant mids we have all come to appreciate in a tweed amp comes from the solid wood cab.

8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    For me, the big, uncontested win is knocking a bunch of weight off the amp.

donb720 likes this.

9. aj gilliam

aj gilliam TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Simpsonville sc
    Plywood? Really? Glued together layers? I say Sanded Birch. Solid, very resonant.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.