Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Plugging in a Hot Rod extension cab into a Prosonic or CVR?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by rebelwoclue, Aug 27, 2017.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    I have a gig coming up and want to use an extension cabinet so I can place it on the other side of the stage. (The other guitar players couldn't hear me the last time we played outdoors)
    Any problems in plugging into the ext speaker outlet on the Prosonic or CVR- or is it better to match it with a HRD or Twin Reverb?

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    What are the speakers in amp and cabinet? If they're both 8 Ohms you can use a 4ohm output and parallel them. Be warned I think the Prosonic has a more efficient speaker than the HRD extension. You will overall put out more volume due to bigger speaker area.

Turning your amp to the side helps the others hear it. Depends - is it in a stand or tilted back?

3. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'd be more partial to turning your amp a bit, and/or micing your amp and dumping a bit in your band mates monitor, than bringing more gear to the show.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Heed the impedance warnings on the amp and you will be fine. Use a good quality speaker cable to reach the other side of the stage.

That said - I'm not a fan of this method. It is natural to want to hear yourself louder than the other people and by putting a speaker on the other side of the stage, you are making them hear it that way as well. They will likely make you turn down to a state you become uncomfortable.

Rather than go that route, I would try the following...

1: If there is a good monitor system, feed the guitar to whoever wants it.
    2: If the monitor system is inadequate, but the amps are in the PA out front - Wash your amp across the stage instead of straight out.
    3: If the amps do not have a mic on them... angle it to the other side of the stage... try not to hit the lead singer in the eardrum!

Just my 2 cents...

5. rebelwoclue

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    All speakers are 8 ohms. I don't usually use the stand but maybe that's an idea. Everything gets mic'd but the monitor system isn't very good.

6. rebelwoclue

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Thanks, I might try that #2.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Make absolutely sure you use a speaker cable - not a guitar cable!

rebelwoclue likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.