Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Plotting the Iraqi-Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ah yes, Andy’s touch can still be felt.

Mat UK likes this.

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well Happy New Year.

I did something less than brilliant today too. I’m building a fairly elaborate effect unit that required a vero board (proto circuit board with traces that run in one direction and full of holes for components). I ordered in a new board and I needed to cut it 22 holes left/right (it has numbers) and 18 holes top to bottom.

Well I measured it up and I cut it 18 holes by 18 holes. I did a really nice cut and finish with my Drexel cut off bit. I admired my work and did some cleanup, had a shower. Came back to it an hour later and realized what I had done. Usually I have lots of this stuff around but I’m completely out of vero board and only ordered this one piece in, just for this project :mad:

Oh well. I hope your drop fill is dry by the morning. It’s going to be a great guitar anyway.

3. peterleroux

peterleroux TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2009
    South Africa
    Well at least you’ve got enough board for a few overdrive pedals :/

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes, that I do. I’m going to see if there’s anything interesting I can build that’s around 18 x 18. The off cuts I figure will be good for Fuzz, Distortion and overdrive.

5. Barncaster

How is the primer going Rex?

awasson likes this.

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    The good news is I have been pretty busy with home renovations since "the incident" so it has not been too terribly vexing to just let it hang. So I just let it hang. I am pretty sure I could go down to the shop and sand it now. But my boss brought in a big tub of beautiful lemons off his tree to work and I have made the command decision to have a whiskey sour (or two) with the best fresh squeezed lemon juice I ever tasted instead.

Thanks for asking and I hope to have good news to report soon.

Blessings to all and my heart goes out to those in other parts of the country getting frozen solid these days. It is just beautiful in Tucson, and I feel very lucky.

Rex

Barncaster and awasson like this.

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    The primer on the white one is good to go, and I am testing the white pearl that will go on it on some scrap with two topcoats to see which I like better.
    I started working on the necks. I resawed the Movingui slabs to get a neck and fretboard so I can use the Bitterroot truss rods. During the profiling on the first neck, I got one pretty significant chip out, but miraculously managed to find the chip on the impossibly cluttered floor of my shop.
    IMG_6548.JPG
    IMG_6549.JPG
    I glued and clamped it:

IMG_6550.JPG
    Took it out of the clamps the next day
    IMG_6553.JPG
    Then smoothed it down and, just like that outfit in the TV commercials, "Like it never even happened."
    IMG_6561.JPG
    If I hadn't found that chip this would have been ugly. So I sanded a lot more close to the line for the rout of the second neck and it came out slick as could be.

The Black One (BaladCaster I, or as I am now calling it, Uno) is ready to sand the black sanding sealer flat and shoot the black color coats, and "Dos" is ready for the same with her white primer. I just need time. Which it looks like I may have just barely enough of. It appears I must head back to Iraq in less than three months. It's good to have a deadline to force me to stay focused on completing these two. Yeah, that's the bright side...you betcha.

Cheers,
    Rex

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Nice save Rex! Looking good...

crazydave911 likes this.

9. Barncaster

What was that phrase Rex, better lucky than good? LOL. Well done.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I did a test with the Toyota White Pearl Duplicolor to check both compatibility and tendency to yellow with either Duplicolor rattlecan clear topcoat, and my old standby Watco Lacquer sprayed through my own rig. The Duplicolor is , per their instructions, OK to spray a half hour after the final color coat. I tested this and it went fine. I gave the Duplicolor White pearl 24 hours to dry before spraying a couple light coats of Watco, also with no compatibility issues. After about 10 days I can't see any difference between the two topcoats, the acrylic nor the nitro: IMG_6572.JPG
    IMG_6573.JPG
    The narrow end of the test piece is the Duplicolor topcoat and the wide end is the Watco nitro. At this point I'd be totally into just using the Watco except I have the color coats down looking REAL good on the guitar now, and I am terrified of getting a little black speck of something or other through my compressor and spray gun if I spray the Watco. Plus, I found two cans of the Duplicolor topcoat in my shop I had forgotten I had, so there's nothing else I'd be using those on anyway so I'll probably use them.

Doing things around the house for my wife has put a bit of a crimp in the speed of the builds, but I hope to make progress this week. Just wanted to drop y'all an update.
    Cheers,
    Rex

Barncaster and Mat UK like this.

11. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    Rex, I need to finish a project by February 12th. Does the duplicolor clear cure fast enough to wet sand and polish within a week or so.

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    They say so on the can. Not sure how the weather in Oregon would change that one way or the other these days.
    As long as your undercoat is not one that's going to show "badness" as things slowly come to full cure, I bet you might get away with a week or so with that Duplicolor acrylic. But I am just going on what it says on the can and what I have previously read about acrylic lacquer - I have only used nitro up until now. If I top-coat with the Dulipcolor clear (which I think I will) it'll be my first time too.

Good luck,
    Rex

coonhollow greg likes this.

13. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    Thanks Rex, I guess we will find out. If it is close to ready when I leave I can sand and buff there, but it will take away time with Dad.(He is in a center recovering from a stroke) My brother took him his tele and practice amp a few weeks ago and he was ecstatic. Proof that a tele can do almost anything.

Barncaster, LowThudd and Ira7 like this.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Defending our country and building a beautiful Tele.

Does it get any better than that?

coonhollow greg likes this.

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Ira7, though I spent 30 years in Uncle Sam's service, my work now (though it looks just like my work then) is as a contractor. I don't want to take more credit that I deserve.
    I'll just try to get these guitars to turn out right and maybe take some credit for that - how's that sound??
    Cheers,
    Rex

LowThudd, coonhollow greg and awasson like this.

16. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thank you for your service just the same!

And thanks for the great build thread! Really liking this one.

17. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    ..so thats how resources of conquered countries are thread like

18. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Better for it to be a guitar than a bonfire. You think?

19. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Well sir, if that's how you choose to look at it, fine.
    I note you wrote your post in English, not German, and freely expressed your own opinion.
    You're welcome.

20. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    We now return this thread to guitar building...

It looks like the idea that the added curviness of the carve does, as I'd hoped, help to "pop" the white pearl paint.
    IMG_6585.JPG
    I have a few areas to touch up with a fresh coat and it'll be ready for clear.
    I sanded down the black-tinted sanding sealer on "Uno" lightly dry sanding with 320 then wet sanding with 600. It's ready for the black color coats as soon as the wind dies down. I have to spray outside and it's windy as heck today!
    IMG_6591.JPG
    IMG_6592.JPG
    I figure the only way to avoid the tendency of a black finish to show every little flaw is to not make any little flaws, so I'm being real careful and I think I have it nice and flat.

Cheers,
    Rex

LowThudd and n__B like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.