Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Plotting the Iraqi-Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Aug 28, 2017.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yes, that is a German carve. Brought to Fender by Roger Rossmeisl. Check the last paragraph in the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Rossmeisl.

Rex's is more of the traditional German carve, I did a smaller-scale on on a build I did a few years ago, using a similar router bit.
    IMG_6984.JPG

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

So what do Sparrow and Greta think of the mini pigs strolling through the yard? My dog loves bacon.

3. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Have your dogs been to rattlesnake training? My dad tells me that is a must there.

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    No, but my wife is very careful to keep an eye on the area around where they hang out. I have a friend who put his bird dogs through it and he said it was pretty amazing. Serious negative reinforcement via shock collar and once it's done they will NEVER approach a rattler again.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    They pretty much come unglued, especially Sparrow. The first time she saw them she started barking and we finally just put her in the bedroom. She kept barking for about a half hour, apparently just for practice, though she was pretty good at it by then. Here is a pic I found from when she first started hanging out at the squadron in Iraq. Very smart puppy - go where the people are and act cute.
    Baby Sparrow 2.JPG

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That's a gorgeous carve. Here's how the BALADCASTER II turned out today:
    IMG_6493.JPG IMG_6494.JPG
    I just have to finalize the control layout tomorrow and drill for those and then I will be ready to start the finish. Does anyone expect any issues with shooting the Duplicolor rattlecan acrylic lacquer (Toyota White Pearl) over this Zinsser B.I.N. shellac-based primer? Figured it'd be great over the yellow pine, I mean, Gopher. I have shot nitro over dewaxed flake shellac with zero issues. I hear the standard, "shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to shellac", but just thought I'd ask about B.I.N.
    IMG_6474.JPG

Cheers,
    Rex

7. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Nice, I really like how the round-over softens the carve.

8. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Looks great Rex , round over looks perfect with that carve

9. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Another plus one on how that carve turned out with the soft roundover. Really nice and great work on tying it together in the cutaway where there isn’t a lot of material. Really expert work.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Thanks very much guys. It feels good too when in the playing position. I hope it's still that way when finished. I need to get to work on the necks. Getting them grain filled is going to take some time.

11. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Rex,
    The B-II is looking sweet. The top carve looks very organic. Might be a good candidate for no pick guard or perhaps an abbreviated one. That carve termination into the lower horn is beautiful.
    Rob

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Oh yeah, there is no pickguard in this machine's future.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Today I got all the final layout and drilling done. I like reverse control plates on Teles, and it turned out the combo of the control cavity and the carve lined up really nicely to set up V, T, and toggles switch just a touch higher up the body (in playing position) as a standard reversed control plate. I had to do a rear counterbore for the toggle switch but the 500K pots are long shafts and fit perfectly.
    IMG_6506.JPG
    Also drilled for the jack and there is enough room for a football jack plate (ordered a chrome Gotoh last night) so I can use a Switchcraft jack versus the barrel jack I thought I might have to use. I checked for both trem arm clearance on the knobs (no problem) and that I had plenty of lead to reach the switch (also no problem - perfect execution Rob!).
    IMG_6503.JPG
    IMG_6502.JPG
    In between HoneyDos I hope to get some primer on the body tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    dickjonesify, Mat UK, Zepfan and 2 others like this.

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Really looking good Rex!!

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    IMG_6515.JPG
    Second coat of Zinsser BIN. First coat highlighted some flaws in the wood, and telegraphed a lot of grain unevenness (standard for pine). I was really wondering to myself why I didn't just do a few coats of lacquer sanding sealer, where I can easily drop-fill any little hickies that show up, then just do a coat of this stuff for color base before the pearl. But I don't want to do that enough to cut all this off! So I sanded back to fix the issues and level the grain and the second coat looks a lot better. Going to let this one sit overnight and sand some more tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Rex

CFFF, LowThudd, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.

16. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great!!

17. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    It really does-makes me want to build another one. :p

Barncaster likes this.

18. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Wow, hadn’t thought of that. I think I’d be inclined to go looking for rattlesnakes to administer shotgun training on, if they were a threat to my dogs. Might not be popular with the neighbors or the environmentalists, tho. I guess the snakes just slither into the area, not much you can do about it except watch the dogs closely, or give them training. Or gather them up so the environmentalists can enjoy them in THEIR yards.:lol::lol:

Barncaster likes this.

19. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Well today I did something dumber than a bag of hammers. After sanding down the coat I sprayed yesterday, and it sanded beautifully - perfectly dry and nothing but powder - no loading of the sandpaper at all, I had about a dozen tiny little dings that needed to be filled and flattened before the final primer coat. I completely forgot about the glazing putty I had, which, though it is red, would have filled the nicks perfectly but left a different colored mark. Rather, I decided to try drop filling with the white shellac primer. I sprayed some onto some melamine, then used a tiny brush t dab it onto the areas that needed filling. Ten hours later it still isn't dry, but mushy to the touch. I have been kicking myself in the butt all day about that. I really just totally brain dumped on the right and proven method of glazing putty, which I have used many times before but just "zoned" on today. I am hoping it will be dry by tomorrow. If not, I don't know what I'll do. I have all the surfaces dead level at this point so I don't want to scrape the spots. Perhaps it's just time to wait as long as it takes and never forget this lesson.

Bummed but Happy New Year! (yeah, surely it'll be dry by "next year")

Rex

Mat UK likes this.

20. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    There is a spot about two miles down the road where I have taken rattlers to and released them for many years. I catch 'em on my property, put them in a bucket with a lid, and drive 'em down there. They are pretty mad by the time I let them go. Now they are building new homes there. Gonna be a lot of snakes, that's all I can say. Mad snakes.

P.S. If I'm not home and a rattler is an issue, the wife is not so merciful in her approach. It involves a hoe. I bought her some snakeshot for her .38 but she prefers not to alarm the neighbors.

LowThudd likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.