Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Plotting the Iraqi-Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Freedomcaster?
    Rings true to me. . .
    Come home safe when you're done.
    Peace - Deeve

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Ah, yes. I still have several items that I "liberated" from an Iraqi Republican Guard unit 26 years ago. We used a different "L" word at that particular time, though. ;)

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Wow, 26 years. Seems like just yesterday. I'll never forget the first night of the war. I was sitting as an officer member on a stupid court martial board at Nellis AFB, NV cursing my luck for being in the wrong place at the right time. I worked my butt off for 7 years to be the best I could be, get selected for and graduate from the Fighter Weapons Scholl at Nellis as a Distinguished Graduate (in '88), then get brought back a year later as a Tactics Development pilot there. Then Desert storm cooked off. Missed the Big One.

Anyway, back to the story...

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    My unit's ALO was an F-16 and A-10 pilot. He HATED being on the ground with us instead of in the air with his bros, but he did an excellent job.

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    First off, thank you for your service.

Second off, I'm stoked to see how this guitar plays out! It's always a good time to see foreign woods (to me) being used in guitar bodies. I'll be watching this as it comes to fruition.

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    So with Barncaster's outrageously generous offer of a set of his Firebirds, I have been rethinking this build.
    1) That awesome gift opens up the budget so maybe I might go large with this Hipshot 2 /16" spacing tremolo:
    s-l1607.jpg
    It's about a C-Note on eBay but ought to be a fine piece of gear. I could get the same effect with a MIM factory trem but I love the push-in arm as they are so much tighter and smoother playing than the screw-in arms Like the MIM. I can't say enough about those Wilkinsons but they are 2 1/8" and Rob has been pretty adamant about needing the 2 1/16" for the Firebirds.
    Why the trem at all? Well, the first demo I heard of Rob's Firebirds was a guy playing SRV's "Lenny" in middle position, which uses a fair bit of trem, both for tremolo and some slight dips in pitch on some of the chords, and that really put the hooks in me.
    2) Now for color - I had the all-black look in mind for that three pickup Nashville arrangement but got to thinking today about another option that would link back to this job in Iraq.
    This is the standard vehicle our PSDs (Personal Security Detail) use to drive us around here. Looks like a regular Toyota Land Cruiser at first glance but they are fully armored - plates all around and the glass is all an inch thick and bulletproof. Needless to say the windows don't roll down so they have tricked out extra strong A/C.
    IMG_0106.JPG
    They are a pretty nice white pearl finish with some nice sparkles to it in the light. I've long thought about a guitar with this type finish. Here's the color tab off the door jam, 070:
    IMG_0110.JPG
    Duplicolor makes it in a rattle can, and I used Duplicolor Toyota Red Pearl on my first build with really nice results with Watco on top.
    s-l1608.jpg
    So what do you think? Pine body, taken super smooth, pearl white with the natural reddish looking neck, no tint, the hipshot trem, and maybe some kind of pickguard linking to here as well? I'm scanning around for something like a small metal or plastic sign in both English and Arabic, or also just a straight black La Cab style pickguard instead.

I'm also hearing there may be some sort of a wood shop on base I can get into to do a little preliminary work on this thing.
    Getting stoked.
    Rex

CraigB, R. Stratenstein and Daniel94 like this.

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Oh yeah, just though of this - Tele profile body but Strat belly cut and forearm contour.

fjlauer, R. Stratenstein and SamIV like this.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Dupli-Color Perfect Match is great paint, I've used it on several builds. Use the Clear Acrylic for wheels though for your clear coat.

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Can you scrounge in the aviation maintenance hanger for scrap aluminum sheet? Something with a few ak-ak penetrations would be cool.

11. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    "Lightfingered?":)

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson

13. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    When you go to play it you can change the title to
    Piloting the Iraqi-Caster
    :rolleyes:

14. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    and as inevitable as sunset, there it is...it sounds like this will be another epic guitar in the making in the Home Depot.

I used a tapped q's tele pickup in an Esquire build, and it really is a great pickup, I keep liking it more and more all the time and I'm even considering throwing down for a set of q's PAFS for my new LP, but I'd use barncaster pickups first without hesitation in a project build even though I don't think I've actually...hmmm?

@Barncaster d'ya have some sound samples somewhere btw? I've never heard one that I can recall, but I'd sure like to.

As far as I'm concerned TDPRI is THE cutting edge of telecaster tonefulness and coolness so I don't think you could go wrong with a barncaster pickup, in a Home Depot documented tele build, with wood scrounged in Iraq on a 118 degree day with a picture to prove it. Honestly the guitars made here have made me uninterested in vintage fender guitars and custom shop guitars, the builds here by in large are so much more than anything you can purchase at any price.

dang....

I really like arabic/english/Made In Japan label inside of the PSD as inspiration for the telootcaster too. It's too bad you couldn't razor blade off the "do not remove" label and bury the reassembled pieces in lacquer on the headstock. It would be kind of like a stolen stop sign hanging in some kids clubhouse.

fjlauer likes this.

15. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'm going to guess that the longer plank looks to be Beech, given the grain patterns on the cut area. A little research indicates that European Beech trees are also native to Asia. It doesn't look like Cedar of Lebanon or anything else exotic, especially given the absence of aroma.

The pine could also be Turkish pine, which is harvested for lumber in that region as well.

16. rainbowbear998

rainbowbear998 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    This looks like it'll turn out nicely, and a brilliant story to go along with it!

17. grooveht

grooveht TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Oak Grove, KY
    Hey Trex, I'll be up north of you a little bit at the beginning of Sept; hope I don't run into you, because then it's probably been a bad day for at least one of us ;) What sort of tool setup did you bring? What are your bare-minimum tools to get a project like that done? I used to bring a soldering iron and all of my electronics supplies for the longer tours and knacker around with the pickups, but putting together a guitar on deployment is truly awesome. Stay safe, and greasy side down!

18. grooveht

grooveht TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Oak Grove, KY
    Also, do they still have a monster chow hall at Balad?

19. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    The Chow hall or DFAC (Dining Facility) at Balad seats 1200, so I reckon that's pretty big.
    The only tools I brought were a Leatherman and a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, and the two allen keys I need to adjust the truss rod and saddles on the Squire Bullet Strat I brought over disassembled in my bag.
    I don't plan to try to work the build over here but did just find out there is a wood shop here on base so I will be able to do some of the milling and break the pieces down to take home on R&R in October, and probably get the body and neck started then.

Cheers,
    Rex

Barncaster likes this.

20. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Lots of good news, one piece of bad news.
    I did a little more wood liberating this morning before work. The Mother Lode site was abandoned for the Eid Al Adha holiday. The bad news is I was disappointed to see the dozen or so other pieces of the mystery hardwood neck material had been removed and I could not nick another. But the good news was I picked up some more pine, and a really long (10 feet +) piece of another lightweight 4x4 mystery wood that in its current dust caked state looks kind of like poplar. This may become the wood of choice for the Iraqi-Caster body. And for more good news, I found a place with some power tools: Chop Saw.JPG Table Saw.JPG
    And one very kind PSD located and fetched me a brand new and very sharp hand saw I can use to break down my pieces enough to take them over to the wood shop.
    PSD with Saw.jpg
    I only got a high speed pass through that carpentry shop area today and I am hoping against hope there is a bandsaw and planer to be found somewhere thereabouts. I have tomorrow off and will be doing some hand sawing at the hootch and visiting at the shop.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.