Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Plotting the Iraqi-Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Let’s see; 3 days of sleep, 1 day picking up dog poop in the back yard, 1 day making a path to the bench in the shop and I’d say you’re almost ready to begin!

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Pretty good call as usual Rob. The sleep has been rough. Usually east-to-west is pretty easy but this one's been the roughest yet. Got some work done on the BaladCaster necks today. Sanded back the sanding sealer I shot before leaving, and then shot 3 more coats today. Filling their pores this way is going to be quite a chore but it'll turn out nice in the end, I hope.

P.S. I pick up dog poop every day.

3. Barncaster

Hey Rex,
    Good to see you back in the shop! Seems like you just left. Are you in town long enough for lacquer to harden?

On the Firebird winding front, I just wound A5 loaded full sized humbuckers for an all brass loaded hippie sandwich Strat. The recipe used was a translated version of my Firebird recipe. Can’t wait to hear them. I have a soft spot for those 70’s stripey guitars. Really looking forward to hearing Dos!
    Rob

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Rob, please let us know when you install those new pickups. I am anxious to hear how they sound.
    I expect to be home 6-9 months, and by then it'll be getting pretty close to time to retire, so...
    yeah, I expect I have time for lacquer to dry. That said, Uno and Dos' bodies ought to be good to go, having hung for upwards of 80 days or so. They look like most of the shrinking is done, and I think they will come out smooth. I hate wet sanding but think maybe I will try to get Uno done today.

fenderchamp likes this.
  5. Barncaster

Retire? Feh... you tried that once, didn’t work.

6. Barncaster

Will do on the pup demo. It will also sport the exact same buffer that Jerry used on his latter guitars. I should have the body this Wednesday.

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    We got a big storm in Tucson yesterday - it rained most all day long, so it was a good day to hole up in the shop. I spent the better part of the day carefully wet-sanding and polishing Uno.
    IMG_7016.JPG
    The sky was thick overcast all day, so despite having skylights in my shop, I had to turn on the lights to see good detail. But I like the way it turned out.
    IMG_7021.JPG
    Today dawned clear and bright though, and I couldn't resist another Uno self-portrait. This is my first black finish and I worked hard to make it right. I'm really happy with the result.

IMG_7031 (2).JPG
    Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. My daughter is visiting us now and I'm going to get back to family time.
    Cheers,
    Rex

P.S. The pores are filling nicely on the necks. I may sand them back and shoot more sanding sealer coats later today.

2blue2, MM73, Frankito and 9 others like this.
  8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    This afternoon I ran my cavity shielding. This is 3M copper tape and the adhesive is conductive. So I have continuity all the way from the front pickup rout to the back of the control cavity. Funny, I had been spotting solder on the joints on previous builds and never put a meter on it until today. No need for solder at all - good lesson learned.
    IMG_7047.JPG
    I had to do the mock-up nobody can resist doing when a build is getting towards the end...
    IMG_7040.JPG
    ...and I noticed the chrome height screws for the pickups kind of stand out like sore thumbs in all the black. So I drilled some holes in a piece of scrap and set them in there, gave them a good wipe with acetone and then shot some Rustoleum gloss black enamel.
    IMG_7044.JPG
    This of course is "before." The "after" was too blurry to post. I hope it hardens up good. The paint was old and I threw out the can afterward. But if it cures well that'll be an improvement in the look. If not, I'll strip them back and start over.

I've decided to run this wiring. This'll give me the Strat wiring I like and also allow neck-bridge and all-on.
    Nashville add neck.jpg
    So I ordered some CTS 250K solid shaft audio taper push-pulls today, along with a few other things I needed from StewMac (couldn't find them anywhere else).
    I plan to reverse the control plate so that if grabbing for the traditional neck-bridge setting it'll be easy to pull up the tone pot while flicking the switch to the bridge position. Plus I like the more forward volume knob anyway.

I also realize I have not checked the black control plate for conductivity. Not sure what the black finish might impede. I hope I don't have to sand its back side to get continuity with the control cavity shielding. Better check the Gotoh bridge too.
    [EDIT: Just checked - good conductivity on both.]
    Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  9. Barncaster

Looking sweet Rex. That shielding under the pickguard is key to not making static finger noises on the pickguard while playing. Well done sir.

PS - Still kind of miss the mini pig photo bombs.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You might consider a no-load tone pot just in case you need a touch of bright volume only tone.

Mr Yeknom complained about the pig and stirred up a hornets nest about Union Representation.

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    RE: Pigs (Javelinas).
    They have not been idle. Had a whole posse of 'em here yesterday evening right after I checked the conductivity on those parts. Six adults and four babies, from two different mamas. Lots of predators around here so it's rare for a pair of babies to make it to adulthood, but with that many adults to help defend their odds get better.
    >>Break, break<<
    Now that was weird. Just as I was typing that, my Iraqi dog (Sparrow) started going ballistic at the back door. I went over to check it out and they were back. Got a picture of them before they took off. One pair of babies are newborn and the others are a couple weeks old.
    IMG_7055.JPG
    Note they are on the other side of the fence! Also they're between me and my shop but no biggie 'cause I'm taking the dogs to the park now anyway. I have today off and will be back in the shop later :).

Cheers,
    Rex

12. Barncaster

I knew it, I knew it. Rex, you’ve been infiltrated. If you look hard at that picture, their tails seem a little longer than usual. I think Yeknom has been makin bacon with the micro pigs! Best to keep Sparrow warmed up and the beer locked down.

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Launch a couple a sparrows at em. Instant jerked pork, mon. :D

Barncaster and LeftFinger like this.
  14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Far more likely instant jerked dog. Those guys have some fierce tusks and can tear a dog up pretty bad. Sparrow has already had one highly embarrassing encounter the first time she met them. She managed to break through the fence in her rage, took off after them, and immediately came barreling back with the herd hot on her tail. Barley made the gate in time!

2blue2 and coonhollow greg like this.
  15. Barncaster

Sparrow, in retreat? Never. She was just leading dinner back to dear old dad for a randevu with his warmed up BBQ and the Sears Deluxe Lawn Vulcan.

16. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Oh, you mean those sparrows. Now I get it. I doubt the javelinas present sufficient radar cross section for an effective shot, but it's a thought. But as I explain to my hunting buddies, "these ain't shootin' pigs, they're just lookin' pigs."

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  17. Barncaster

The Lookin’ Pigs. And yet another quality band name brought to you by the creative minions here at TDPRI.

R. Stratenstein and Zepfan like this.
  18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yessir, the AIM7 flavored ones. :cool: Can you get ‘em in heat-seeking mode? Maybe a gaggle of javelinas will provide enough heat to get a lock on ‘em. Just a thought. :D:D

“Lookin Pigs”, I like that. We call em varmint pigs around here, and it’s assumed they are, or soon will be, breeding more of their own, so—fair game.
    They do a number on some of the farms here.

19. Barncaster

20. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I did something in drilling the pickguard holes that was new to me, but may be a well known hack. I'll share it here anyway in case it may help someone. I have pretty well devoured all the techniques I could harvest from TDPRI and don't recall having seen it.
    So I attached my bridge, which I had drilled for early in the build, with everything dead on centerline. Then I set my pickguard on the body to fit just right around the bridge, borders, and control cavity. Then, with the pickguard clamped down to the body on my bench with holdfasts, I chucked up a shortened sewing needle in an Exacto handle, and ran the needle several times around each of the holes in the pickguard. The idea was to pre-score the lacquer so that any chipping wrought by drilling for the holes would be contained by the scored lines. So after the scoring the spots for the holes looked like this:
    IMG_7056.JPG
    Then I took a little birdcage awl and twirled it around in the center of each of the scores to make a divot for the 5/64" drill bit (the minor diameter of my screws) in an old Millers Falls eggbeater drill. I turned the drill backwards for several turns, then forward, and all chipping was contained as planned. Then I chucked up a little Dremel burr in the same eggbeater and widened out the holes so the outside diameter of the screws (1/8") would also not touch the lacquer. I went right up to the edge of the scored lines. Bob's your Uncle!
    IMG_7059.JPG
    Then I just rolled a little CA glue in to harden the raw wood and cover the newly exposed cut lacquer edge, let it dry, and screwed down the pickguard.
    IMG_7060.JPG
    This body is now sitting in a hard-shell case waiting for my push-pull pots to arrive later this week.

Cheers,
    Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.