Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Aug 28, 2017.
That white pearl with the curves is sweet !
That contour on the lower bout of the white one looks great. That’s going to be a beauty.
Great conditions this morning for spraying. I'm working nights this week so that is lucky. The first black color coat went on "Uno" this morning.
The white pearl on "Dos" is good to go and I put the first clear coat on it, but one tiny speck blew onto the front so I need to give it a day or so until I can very gently scrape it off without hurting the pearl, then follow up with more clear.
Chasing Uno’s Steinway black could be a bear. Definitely pick calm spray days. That is probably the least forgiving “color” to imperfections out there. Time to stock up on the lemons!
Also, the mini pigs are slacking. Haven’t seen a photo bomb in a while.
Yup, I've done 2 in black and the base has to be flat as can be. I sprayed and sanded sanding sealer on both more than once to get it that way. Cooties and critters will make you say bad words..
Seems like slow going folks. All the clear is on Dos (three cans of Duplicolor Acrylic clear) and all the color is on Uno (black tinted Watco). On Uno I need to level one very slight sag, and the inevitable little raised edges around the ferrule holes where it builds up, before I start shooting the clear. Otherwise - it's FLAT.
The Trem and cavity cover on Dos are filled and ready to cure for final level/polish. The time taken getting the pores filled on these makes me think the necks are going to be a daunting task.
Looks great Rex!
Goodness man those are turning out fine!
why does that look so chrome? its awesome!!!
There is a future for you sir at Steinway!
Wow, looks great!!
Thanks guys, we finally got some rain the last couple days so no more finishing progress, but I have no excuse not to start getting the necks ready for finish. Except that we are completely redoing our master bath (currently stripped down to the studs) and there are a mountain of Honey-dos. One cool thing is I will be making a live-edge mesquite countertop for our sink vanity. When I get going on that this weekend I'll post some pics over on the What's on your workbench thread.
What is a live edge?
A live edge is where you leave the rough outer edge of the board / slab on. up to and including the bark sometimes.
Holy crap... this thread is chock full of awesome... very cool
The wood in the vanity will come from a small mesquite tree we cut on our property to make room for another improvement, that I got a buddy to slice up on his mobile saw mill. It's been stickered over a year on the porch of my shop so it ought to be ready.
Thanks for the awesomeness comment John E.
Sorry I'm quite tardy with an update - mainly due to being equally tardy with progress. Our master bath renovation has consumed most of my free time. I got the live edged mesquite counter top and vanity top made from the home cut log pictured in the post above. Here is the vanity top in progress:
and it and the counter top getting their final coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane.
There's a big 48" stone basin sink that goes in the great big hole in the vanity top.
On the Baladcasters, Dos is going to get aged amber colored Les Paul-style bell knobs for volume and tone and I am thinking about these tuners to match, keeping in mind the necks will be the same wood as the trem and cavity covers. What do you folks think of this choice to go with amber bell knobs and the color of the movingui neck?
Uno's black finish has been headache inducing. This morning there was a momentous event - I got the first coat of clear sprayed on that I did not have to come back and fix something on! The previous five or so clear coats have all had a tiny speck or clothing fiber or (#@*!) cat hair that I had to scrape off after it dried, so I had been getting about one coat per week. (I suppose every finish I ever sprayed was the same I just couldn't see it, but this black just shows everything!) So this morning I got two good ones in a row. I have Monday off so I am going to follow up that day and might just get the last of the clear on!
Cheers to all,
Got the tuner holes drilled, truss rods installed today, and the fretboards are both glued back on (from where they were resawed off to rout the truss rods) and spending the night in the clamps.
Tomorrow I hope to flush rout the fretboards, thin the headstocks, and start figuring out how I'm going to get these necks grain filled. I'm considering just doing the radiused fretboards first, then install the frets, carve the necks, and get the rest of the necks grainfilled after that. That's how I did the one hickory neck I made, but this one has even worse open pores. Still undecided. I guess I'll drive off that bridge when I get to it.
Looking good Rex