Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Plotting the Iraqi-Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Aug 28, 2017.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    That white pearl with the curves is sweet !

Barncaster and Boomhauer like this.

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That contour on the lower bout of the white one looks great. That’s going to be a beauty.

3. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Great conditions this morning for spraying. I'm working nights this week so that is lucky. The first black color coat went on "Uno" this morning.
    IMG_6596.JPG
    The white pearl on "Dos" is good to go and I put the first clear coat on it, but one tiny speck blew onto the front so I need to give it a day or so until I can very gently scrape it off without hurting the pearl, then follow up with more clear.

Cheers,
    Rex

I_build_my_own, Barncaster and Mat UK like this.

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hi Rex,

Chasing Uno’s Steinway black could be a bear. Definitely pick calm spray days. That is probably the least forgiving “color” to imperfections out there. Time to stock up on the lemons!

Also, the mini pigs are slacking. Haven’t seen a photo bomb in a while.

Rob

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yup, I've done 2 in black and the base has to be flat as can be. I sprayed and sanded sanding sealer on both more than once to get it that way. Cooties and critters will make you say bad words..

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Seems like slow going folks. All the clear is on Dos (three cans of Duplicolor Acrylic clear) and all the color is on Uno (black tinted Watco). On Uno I need to level one very slight sag, and the inevitable little raised edges around the ferrule holes where it builds up, before I start shooting the clear. Otherwise - it's FLAT.
    IMG_6663.JPG
    The Trem and cavity cover on Dos are filled and ready to cure for final level/polish. The time taken getting the pores filled on these makes me think the necks are going to be a daunting task.
    IMG_6659.JPG
    Cheers,
    Rex

7. Barncaster

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta

9. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Goodness man those are turning out fine!

10. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

why does that look so chrome? its awesome!!!

MarkJT and Barncaster like this.

11. Barncaster

There is a future for you sir at Steinway!

Boomhauer likes this.

12. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Wow, looks great!!

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Thanks guys, we finally got some rain the last couple days so no more finishing progress, but I have no excuse not to start getting the necks ready for finish. Except that we are completely redoing our master bath (currently stripped down to the studs) and there are a mountain of Honey-dos. One cool thing is I will be making a live-edge mesquite countertop for our sink vanity. When I get going on that this weekend I'll post some pics over on the What's on your workbench thread.

Cheers,
    Rex

14. Barncaster

Hey Rex,
    What is a live edge?
    Rob

15. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    A live edge is where you leave the rough outer edge of the board / slab on. up to and including the bark sometimes.

16. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    Holy crap... this thread is chock full of awesome... very cool

Boomhauer likes this.

17. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    The wood in the vanity will come from a small mesquite tree we cut on our property to make room for another improvement, that I got a buddy to slice up on his mobile saw mill. It's been stickered over a year on the porch of my shop so it ought to be ready.
    IMG_6391.JPG

Thanks for the awesomeness comment John E.

Rex

18. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Sorry I'm quite tardy with an update - mainly due to being equally tardy with progress. Our master bath renovation has consumed most of my free time. I got the live edged mesquite counter top and vanity top made from the home cut log pictured in the post above. Here is the vanity top in progress:
    IMG_6743.JPG
    and it and the counter top getting their final coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane.
    IMG_6766.JPG
    There's a big 48" stone basin sink that goes in the great big hole in the vanity top.

On the Baladcasters, Dos is going to get aged amber colored Les Paul-style bell knobs for volume and tone and I am thinking about these tuners to match, keeping in mind the necks will be the same wood as the trem and cavity covers. What do you folks think of this choice to go with amber bell knobs and the color of the movingui neck?
    Tuners for Dos.jpg

Uno's black finish has been headache inducing. This morning there was a momentous event - I got the first coat of clear sprayed on that I did not have to come back and fix something on! The previous five or so clear coats have all had a tiny speck or clothing fiber or (#@*!) cat hair that I had to scrape off after it dried, so I had been getting about one coat per week. (I suppose every finish I ever sprayed was the same I just couldn't see it, but this black just shows everything!) So this morning I got two good ones in a row. I have Monday off so I am going to follow up that day and might just get the last of the clear on!

Cheers to all,
    Rex

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    kuvash, Zepfan, CFFF and 1 other person like this.

19. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Got the tuner holes drilled, truss rods installed today, and the fretboards are both glued back on (from where they were resawed off to rout the truss rods) and spending the night in the clamps.
    IMG_6828.JPG
    Tomorrow I hope to flush rout the fretboards, thin the headstocks, and start figuring out how I'm going to get these necks grain filled. I'm considering just doing the radiused fretboards first, then install the frets, carve the necks, and get the rest of the necks grainfilled after that. That's how I did the one hickory neck I made, but this one has even worse open pores. Still undecided. I guess I'll drive off that bridge when I get to it.

Cheers,
    Rex

imploration, Barncaster, CFFF and 2 others like this.

20. Barncaster

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.