Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Please recommend a tele for me

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PearlJamNoCode, Sep 28, 2017.

1. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I am currently selling my Epiphone SG, which will leave me without a guitar with humbuckers. For me, this is comparable to a cat without claws.

I was considering replacing the SG with a Gibson Faded SG, but then I remembered that some teles ('72) have humbuckers.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tele that mets these specs/preferences:

At least one humbucker
    Maple neck (preferably with a tinted finish for an aged look)
    Small style headstock

Budget is $800 maximum.

Thanks!

2. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    72RI and 72RI Thinline. Two humbuckers, although not the type you'd find in a Gibson. Maple neck, but not much tint.

Loco85 and Robert H. like this.

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Cabronita, if you can live without a full fat humbucker Tele.

Dismalhead likes this.

4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    G&L Tribute Bluesboy.

5. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    I could be wrong (and I know I'll hear about it) but the closest Tele in that price range that has "claws" would be an FMT that come with a nice pair of Duncans.

Most of the Teles with HBs aren't the most rip roarin.
    Unless its a Custom Shop or something modded I don't think you'll find anything on the wall.

The FMT doesnt quite come up to your specs but is actually more like an SG; RW fretboard, set neck with jumbo frets, body contours, thin profile body.
    Tele in shape only but will slice and dice.
    Check it out or read on and hear how full of it I am haha.
    But seriously, nice guitars.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    If you want a stomp around, hard rocking shred machine, it would be hard to find something better than the Faded SG.

If you're just looking for something with dual humbuckers that does clean and dirt equally well, I'll second the MIM Cabronita suggestion. I picked one up last year and it's easily one of my favorite all-time guitars. Super versatile. Plus, you can still pick them up used for under $500.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Baja Telecaster 4-way switch that puts both pickups in series for a big bad humbucker. It's close to your budget.

If you want to keep a smaller budget, find a used MIM Tele ($350-$450 seems going rate lately) and add a $12 4-way switch.

A tele bridge pickup is quite amazing for any humbucker tone tasks, more bite and less tendency to get fizzy.

Other options:
    -P90 (what a humbucker tries to be when cutting hum, a humbucker made compromises)
    -Humbucker in the neck and Tele single coil bridge
    -Nashville type with three single coils that has push/pull series pot

8. ThinLizzy73

ThinLizzy73 TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Cincinnati, OH

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    That's really sweet. Great looking guitar. Didn't know they did HH MIM Standards.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus.

Versatile, kicks-ass, and somewhat affordable.

;)

[​IMG]

11. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    At least take a look and try out a Squier Vintage Modified 72 Thinline. If you like it as much as I did you can save $450.00 over the Fender 72 Thinline RI

I've played both and actually liked the Squier better. This is why:
    • Squier has 9.5" radius as opposed to the Fender 7.25"
    • Squier has medium jumbo frets as opposed to Fender's skinny vintage frets
    • Squier has 4 bolt neck instead of Fender's 3 bolt
    • Squier is great quality at 1/2 the price
    The pickups on both are the same Fender pickups.

Maybe you just wouldn't consider a Squier. I wouldn't have either until I got my CV 50s Tele a few years back. Squier has really upped their game IMO.

PearlJamNoCode likes this.

12. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I'm a big Squier fan. My J Mascis Jazzmaster is currently my favorite guitar.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I've got to head out and play some!

Chicago Matt likes this.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Trying to recommend a guitar for somebody is like recommending Underwear. It's hard to do because everybody's butt is a bit different.

Chicago Matt likes this.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Humbucking can be achieved a couple different ways, with Teles. One great approach is the right two single coil pickups, wired in series. I feel like it brings more heat that almost any so called humbucker you might install on a Telecaster.

Classic Player Baja 50s Telecaster. At least try it, and see what you think.

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.