Please help with 72 thinline manufacturing dates

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Johnnypops, Mar 4, 2019.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I wonder if it could be a "90s Thinline" (a USA made series that included a white with tortoise binding option) that has been routed for WRHB instead of the single coils it would have had? The entire rout area is covered in shielding, so I can't tell if it has been re-done.

EDIT---no that would have a different bridge situation altogether. Scratch that idea.

2. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Hi BPM yes the checking does extend but it’s clean so less visible where the main body cracks are grubby 6AE74D56-D08C-40DB-BDE1-B149290BC716.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

yeah,thats weird about the finish...almost certainly a relic job....that bridge is reissue,bent steel saddles....is that copper foil in the neck pocket?.....overall,that is really light years from anything vintage,its a reliced partscaster...you can even source new stamped neckplates or could a few years back,even that might be reissue...
    ..it will be very interesting what the shop tells you though probably more as an illustration of what they know rather than anything else,its pretty clear from the photos that this has never seen the '70's!

4. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Also if from the 1990s, Warmoth parts are easily recognizable by the branded turtle logo. If they don't feature a clear brandname anyone could have made the body/neck. Be aware that you only have a couple of hundred $ in parts, at most.

5. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

78ADBB31-AA76-4CAF-8922-8EF73CFFA2A3.jpeg
    Hard to see shoot when it’s under a layer of foil but there is a depression under the shield
    Also the little divots under the pickups seem fairly unique to Warmoth AFAIK and they are there also
    There is also an anomaly with the placement of the screw under the pup selector with the Warmoth one under the selector and fender to the side and this one is under. There may be other manufacturers like Warmoth but I’m awfully sure if I rip up the shield what I’ll see
    At least Warmoth make great gear and this one has been well done and has some value but is mid 90s predominantly Warmoth guitar and not a Fender, I have been stitched up somewhat and unlikely to be able to get anywhere as I’ve sought to return it and the guy reckons the money is spent and he has $135 to his name...
    Caveat emptor as they say

6D73876F-B38E-4E8B-9ABA-3DE4D8D880BF.jpeg

6. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

So sorry to hear you might not be able to return it. Take comfort in it's happened to many of us over the years. Hope you can enjoy playing it and forget the deal. It is a very fine looking guitar.

7. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

....great looking Tele,just play it for a while and if its not working out for you, flip it,don't let it fester.....lots of worse things could have happened.....stick around here,bide your time and enjoy being in the Tele mafia....

Johnnypops likes this.
  8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That copper in the neck pocket isn’t doing any shielding, you know — there’s nothing electrical under there. So peel it off if you want to.

63telemaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.