Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Please help me, trying to determine if I this is a real tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by tom111, Mar 22, 2017.

1. tom111

tom111 TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Florida
    hi,
    Can anyone be nice enough to help me out, Is this really a 1970 tele?
    Thanks in advance, I'm pretty concerned Im being taken advantage of.

2. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Yeah, could be 1970. What are the pot and pickup dates?

3. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Hard to say, more pics would help.

I’m concerned about this very thick shim under the neck heel. Does it mean the neck and the body come from different guitars? Maybe, maybe not. If you end up buying this Tele, you can get neck shims the size of the whole neck pocket at StewMac.

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yes. It's got the router template guide hole in the neck pocket and the holes under the pickguard where the painters hammered in brads to hold it up while they painted it. Been routed for a neck bucker, and new custard paint (would have been Oly White and very white under the guard). Heel stamps are correct. Body profile is accurate around top bout cutaway next to neck pocket for early CBS. Neck shim is no biggie. Often done to tilt the neck down, to lift bridge saddles to get more string break and bite, sustain on them, so the saddles don't shift especially with the slinky strings becoming popular. It's why they went to microtilt on Strats. Fender actually had slim hardwood shims like icy pole sticks do this. I've also seen paper nail files - whatever works!

2 Headed Goat and SoulstormTX like this.

5. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2014
    Virginia
    My point regarding this shim was that it is abnormally thick and it can, with time, deform this part of the neck (I would definitely check it out).
    Hence my suggesting these neck-pocket-sized shims that eliminate this problem.

AFAIK, shims used by Fender were very thin, nothing to do with this one. Just saying.

Nice guitar, by the way, at least for what we see. And you should get it for a good price with this ugly neck pickup routing.

Wally likes this.

6. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm no expert and I would normally never comment in a thread like this. But I like to test myself and check out the pictures before reading the expert comments.

I didn't see any red flags on this one. The routing, paint job, and shim are not a worry, and everything looks ok to me - and the experts seem to agree.

Hey, maybe I'm now a first-year trainee expert?

2 Headed Goat and jvin248 like this.

7. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    The neck pickup routing is not uncommon for this era, - during the 70s it was fashionable to do this sort of thing - so that fits. It's hard to say from here, but there are no alarm bells. Certainly looks right to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.