Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Please help me identify a G&L Asat

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Chip, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Macedonia, Ohio
    A local Mom & Pop store has a used Asat for sale but they have no clue anything about it. They’re guessing it’s from the early 90’s. From what I’ve gathered from the internet the tremolo bridge was a custom order. So, anyone have a guess what year, model & value?

45A06E47-D295-4667-88DE-3B1767563F53.jpeg
    2687A596-912C-4A9F-98E3-9F8CC8CC378F.jpeg
    57953131-6C1C-4972-B7BE-0E1D3FA90785.jpeg

shupe13 likes this.
  2. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    Have you sent some pics directly to G&L to see what they say?

Chip likes this.
  3. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Don't hold me to it, but my guess is an 03 model because of the first 3 numbers.

Chip and coloradojeff like this.
  4. Squiertony

Squiertony TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Maud Oklahoma
    Not sure but you better not twist.....

Chip, Picton and Piotr like this.
  5. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    Looks like a classic with the g&l strat trem.

Probably worth about the same as a classic, perhaps a touch less because people wanting an telecaster/ASAT don't usually want a trem (or then a bigsby for looks).

Bit then again ... for the right person, that trem might increase its value to them.

Looks great. How does it play, and what's it worth to you?

Chip likes this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Chip likes this.
  7. rpjones

rpjones TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2003
    morgantown, wv
    My Asat Classic is number 38890, and it was built in June/July of 1994. So you can at least know that it was built before that.

Chip likes this.
  8. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    The serial numbers are not necessarily sequential.

beyer160 and Chip like this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    I would say circa '94 based on surrounding serial numbers with dates in the G&L registry. As you can see, necks and bodies were made at different times, and then stored, sometimes for months, before assembly happened. And as you can see, the serial 1 before yours has the latest component date (the body) as Dec. 29, 1993, while the number only 8 after yours has the latest component date (the neck) as Dec. 21, 1994. They certainly didn't only make 8 guitars in that year, so there is definitely some screwiness as to the order in which the neck plates were installed. By the way, you are welcome to enter the for sale guitar's serial in to this database (though you won't have neck and body dates without having the shop pull the neck off).

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.27.20 PM.png

Chip likes this.
  10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    P.S. As for value, probably $600 to $800. $800 is probably quite generous, because the condition is not great, but someone might pay it.

Yes, obviously a non-standard bridge, but you have no way of knowing whether it was a customer-spec'd guitar (i.e. what I would call a "true custom order"), or a dealer-spec'd guitar with non-standard features. There are lots of G&Ls with non-standard options, because with G&L, a retailer didn't always just order "12 ASATs – 2 white, 2 black, 2 blue, 2 red, 2 burst, 2 clear," like with Fender. With G&L, there was a build/spec sheet prepared for each guitar ordered. Retailer didn't usually custom spec each and every instrument, but always having the options available does lend itself to dealers trying out non-standard features.

Point being, unless you have the provenance, you never know whether it was a customer spec'd or a dealer spec'd guitar. In any case, the only reason why you'd want to know would be out of curiosity; it doesn't really affect the value.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Chip and Hammerdog like this.
  11. maceo357

maceo357 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Earth
    I bet that sounds super cool. Tele twang with the metal pickup plate and strat quack with from term springs.

Chip likes this.
  12. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Macedonia, Ohio
    Thanks for all the help guys!

I actually don’t have any interest in buying this guitar, I’m just trying to help the store owner figure out what he was selling. I told him about the TDPRI and how you all could help pinpoint the guitar and of course you didn’t disappoint. I’ll definitely pass on all the information, thanks again.

He’s also selling an old natural body Tribute that I’m in LOVE with. I sure wish I could come up with the money because it’s absolutely killer!
    Looks like this.....
    F258C27A-5E3C-4D57-9D89-CB42BF86E26F.jpeg

Nubs likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    That Tribute is likely a fine guitar, but the market dictates it should sell for no more than $300. MAYBE $350 if it is truly as new, AND has the original G&L embroidered gig bag.

If it is a very early Japanese-made Tribute, that's another story. They bring just as much as U.S.A. models ($600 to $1,000).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.