Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Please help! 1970 Rosewood Tele CONCERNS

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by TVmodel, Aug 31, 2017.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Neck plate is correct to be an "F" plate with the big F and not an "L" plate.
    This must be your newest era vintage fender?

Most of the questionable stuff seems related to almost 50 years of being worked on, including typical parts swapping.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Of course it's not 100% sure, but I would imagine if one pot is old, it's not a fake.

I don't think someone would put in just one old pot to make it seem "vintage". But who knows?

There were some reissues, the Custom Shop and 1980s Japanese, although I don't know much about rosewood teles to say anything about small details.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    There you go. This has the same pickups and appears to be same scratch plate.

I think your is legit.

5. TVmodel

TVmodel TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hoboken, New jersey
    Here's what I feel is going for me-
    The neck looks 100% correct
    The body looks correct (the maple dowels, the neck cavity)
    It is not surprising to me that the neck plate screw holes are stripped. I believe this is common on rosewood telecasters ( I read a post on this forum with a post from someone who had the same problem on their rosewood tele.)
    Post 13 -http://www.tdpri.com/threads/lowdown-on-the-rosewood-telecaster.136229/

The guard is definitely changed, but I've read that these black 1970 guards had a "marbled back" and these had a tendency to "gas out" and destroy itself, not unlike similar "nitro" 1950's Gibson guards. (this guy's overpriced rosewood tele explains the "tortoise" guard phonomenon and shows two pics of his self destructued gassed pick guard-
    https://reverb.com/item/106686-fender-rosewood-telecaster-vintage-original-rare

So-body,neck,guard are all explained to me which is a real good and promising start on this.
    I have doubts about the pickups....the weird neck plate w/the mirror image can be explained and can the changed stem on the high "e" tuner. I've seen several teles have the high "e" tuner replaced over the years.

So....that's where I'm at....

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Your pickups look dead like the pickups in other 70's I wasn't sure about the neck winding colour but it's like the other one. The bridge stagger looks exactly like my 78, as does the winding.

You can fix the neck screwholes by dribbling gel suoerglue in. I had a set of spare F-tuners with one broken shaft I got a spare for. It was more ovalish than the rest.

I think you've managed to account for the pickguard. I don't think yours would suffer for value.

7. TVmodel

TVmodel TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hoboken, New jersey

Yes...the guard was not real but I talked to Richie Friedman today at We Buy Guitars and he confirmed that several of my worries could be accounted for, including the guard I'm into the guitar for a very nice price....but NOT cheap...just well under what any of these that I've seen selling for so I think I'm in good shape. Plus CME offered me a refund if I decide not to keep it. Good guys.

bparnell57 likes this.

8. TVmodel

TVmodel TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hoboken, New jersey
    It has also been brought to my attention that the control cavity routing is a tad primitive as the rosewood wasn't as easy to rout as mahogany, ash or alder etc.
    The result was a routing pattern under the control plate that was unusual.
    The later reissues all had a smoother rou than the ones on the earlier rosewood telecaster.
    Check it out!
    [​IMG]

9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    The one on Reverb had the original pickups. The one discussed in this thread does not have the original neck PU. No doubt about it.

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    When I blow up the pic of the neck pickup the winding looks the same to.me - I just couldn't remember what my 78 was like but I think it was that orange wire too.

It's interesting to get DC resistance in it.

11. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Who cares about little things....hard to fake a rosewood tele. Lol. Price is or was right.....grab it. Should weigh a ton. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.