Please Educate Me: Why Tele Is The Most Versatile

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by omlove, May 7, 2019.

1. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

This particular Tele is mighty versatile.

Tele bridge pickup
    Strat middle pickup
    P-90 (stealth) neck pickup

Five way switch:
    1. Bridge with tone
    2. Bridge/middle with blender
    3. Middle
    4. Bridge/neck with separate volume controls for blending
    5. Neck

Bigsby Vibrato
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    S Mac

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Jim_in_PA likes this.
  2. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Why not both?
    Check above post #141 or my avatar.

S Mac

3. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

A Tele with a middle pickup can get three Strat sounds, but can't get that iconic Strat neck tone.
    A Strat can never get that great Tele bridge sound even with a real Tele pickup installed. It's not only the pickup but the bridge/tailpieces are totally different.
    A big part of that sound comes from the pickup being mounted in the metal Tele bridge plate.

S Mac

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Since I’ve had my AmPro Tele my 2004 AmStd Strat has remained in it’s case for all but two of the numbers on our gig list. We do quite a variety of stuff and I bought the Tele to better cover the country and a couple of reggae ditties. Thing is, I got to put it down less and less. In truth, I think I only use the Strat in a couple of numbers because I feel I should!

5. Fuelish

Fuelish TDPRI Member

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    The MIK BMGs (Brian May) are amazingly versatile guitars, the most versatile I own.....however, that comes at an expense of time spent figuring out just what ya wanna get from it.....kinda the guitar equivelant of a Tweaker amp ….again, incredibly versatile, but at the expense of fiddling to get what ya want from it. Put 'em both together (I indeed have both), and you can spend a lot of time just dickin' around with it all.....which is OK for this rank amateur. At times there's a price to be paid for so-called "versatility," and simple is best.

6. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

EF6FDA2E-BCC5-408C-8A9C-A39215C72629.jpeg

I don’t know how versatile I’d say a standard Tele is, but this one has 5-way switching a 0.003uF tone cap, and a push-pull tone pot that puts the neck pickup in all positions. It has twang, honk, jangle, quack…just about anything I would ever need.

One of the things I love about Teles is their ability to be upgraded and modded. Even with the standard two single coil configuration there’s 4-way switching available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.