Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Playing with unfinished wood?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mattrad610, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Mattrad610

Mattrad610 NEW MEMBER!

Okay, so my school project is to build a tele (awesome i know). My teacher would like me to play the guitar at an alumni event just to demonstrate what i'm doing, but i don't think i can have it completely finished by then.

Is it a bad idea to put in the hardware etc. before completely finishing the wood? In other words, i'd take off the hardware and finish the paint later. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I forget who it was, but someone here built a guitar and played it for like a month or two before putting any lacquer, or paint on it. One idea might be to seal the wood, but I'm definitely no expert on finishing. It should be fine, but you'll probably have to re-drill the small screw holes for the pickguard and what not (you can't really stop stuff from getting in there) and you'll have to mask off all the other holes you can.

3. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

It's actually a good idea to put all the hardware on before you finish. If something doesn't fit, you can fix it without messing up the finish. If you're just going to play it for a week or so I think it will be fine. The oils from your hands may stain the wood. Wash your hands before you play. You'll have a chance to sand it again before you put the finish in it.

Don't spill any beer in it! :D

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

+1

Always a good option to do a test run before finishing (don't ask how I know :rolleyes:)

If you're really concerned you could slap some shellac on it to protect it in the meantime. You can always clean it off with alcohol afterwards.

6. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Not a problem- stay clean and do a final wipe-down with alcohol and a final sanding when you get ready to apply your finish. Do your best to keep it clean and dry, and it will work out for you.

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I have a guitar made of "iroko", a type of teak. A very hard and smooth grained timber.

I just sanded it smooth, polished it (it's so hard it takes a polish), and then oiled it.

So if you are on a tight time schedule and have a typical ash/alder body with a maple/rosewood neck, you could fine-sand the timbers, go even finer by "polishing" with powdered pumice (I hate wire wool but it does the same), and oiling it.
    Teak Oil is specific for a rosewood fingerboard, and it can be used on the other timber. If you need the teak oil (or Danish etc) to cure fast then go over it with "Finishing Oil" which contains driers and accelerants (and some poly-wotsits) but not on a rosewood fingerboard! This will have the oils dried in minutes, with a high gloss finish

The oils can be removed at a later date with white spirits and eblow grease for refinishing. May not be necessary to remove as they seal the wood well when fully cured.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.