Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Playing with a floating trim

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jdolecek48, Nov 24, 2018.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    I'm having issues playing on my new squire. It came with a wammy bar which I never put on and I will never use it. I have always played ibanez, schecter and Les paulso I have never had to deal with this.in the past I always used the bridge to Anker my handle while picking so I have yet to found a place to Anker my hand while picking because I can't do it on the floating bridge because it throws out of tune. so is there a way to anchor your hand or do you just have to come to float your hand while you're picking? So I'm questioning myself here with my purchase I'm debating whether I should just send it back and get a guitar that doesn't have a floating bridge on it..... Other than that I like the guitar it's just I just don't know what to do at this point. I mean I love the guitar I really do it's just picking that is the hardest thing because I'm throwing it out of tune all the time actually no I'm not because I know I can't use that bridge think you're my hand so I'm basically picking with nowhere to brace my hand.should I send it back? How do you guys brace your hand? I find it really hard while playing single notes. Please help me or do you think I need to send my new guitar back?

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    The Talman I just got has a Strat-ish trem on it, and I notice this one is set up to only bend down. I anchor my palm on the bridge too, and so far, it hasn't been a problem because of that.

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    One of the best things I did for my technique was getting a Strat. I do use the trem. I like it. I’m no whammy bar acrobat but I do use it to add a little shimmer to my blues passages.

So, the Strat really helped in evolving my right hand technique. I used to anchor on a tune-o-matic bridge but its a handicap that limits what you can do. Now, because I predominantly play a Strat, 99% of the time I don’t anchor. I allow my hand to rest or just graze the bridge and I move it, the whole thing from the low E to the high E and all points in between.

It’s been a pretty radical shift but I spent a fair bit of time analyzing how best to access the notes with my pick so I could come up with a strategy. It’s made me way faster and more accurate. I’m still many beats per second behind my guitar hero’s but I’m also many beats per second faster than my old self so it’s been a success.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Floating Trim? I though this was going to be about something else.:twisted:

I wedge a wood block between the trem block and body, put 5 springs in to secure it all and tighten the claw down to get maximum transference.
    I also replace wimpy pot metal blocks with solid brass. It's about a $30 buck mod that really helps with sustain imo.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Well, you can loosen the strings and then tighten both the claws all the way then retune.. That should work well enough..If not, then force a small block of wood behind the vibrato block..

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Just deck the trem by screwing the forward mounting screws down to the base level, but not too far. Then screw the spring claw in a bit more or add a couple more springs, they typically can have 5 springs in all or you can use a Tremsetter.
    That will allow you to palm mute and use the trem for warbles or dive-bombs.

8. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Florida
    I screwed it in a bit and now it's perfect

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.