Playing until your fingers bleed, is this really possible?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by HalfEmpty, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Once when I was a young'un, yeah. Once.

Now it could happen if the nails and skin together gets broken due to aggro chicken pickin'. Has happened.

Does injuries to fingers but insisting to play guitar count? Has happened as well.

2. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Never on my fretting hand. My fingers would hurt too much long before I got to blood and I'd have to stop. Also, I've now been playing long enough to where my fingers don't have calluses, just hard skin. So, it would be extremely hard to get to blood.

3. Rob52

Rob52 Tele-Holic

I remember back in the mid 60's hearing about Pete playing so hard in his early days that his fingers bled. I guess the very heavy strings he used and lots of agression over long gigs could have been be the cause.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I play a lot, every day.
    I have for over 45 years.
    I have no callouses, and I have never bled from playing.
    One of my songwriter friend's right hand bleeds often when he plays.
    Great writer, stinko guitar player.

5. 20721

20721 Former Member

I cannot form callouses. I play lightly to compensate, but yes, I have assuredly bled on the bass. Ruins the strings. Rotosounds aren't cheap, so I try to avoid that.

6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Right strumming hand definitely.
    Left fretting hand not that I can ever remember.

7. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I did when I was learning, thought it was part of the "process". Then I started getting thick callouses, could play all night without feeling a thing. When I quit for years they went away, and now I'm back to typical soft hands....and playing hurts after a while.

I hate getting old.

8. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

My first guitar was a 'Stella' made by Harmony, and the strings were a half inch off the fret board and there were no gauge selections like we have today. I bought Black Diamond strings, and I would guess that they were around 13 gauge for the high 'e'. I don't remember there being another string manufacturer, except Gibson, whose prices were too high for me to afford.. Those Gibson's were about 13 gauge also.. And there was pain and a small amount of bleeding of the left hand finger tips after playing. But I was so addicted, I didn't care... The youngsters today have it so easy.. To be able to go out and buy a used guitar for 100 bucks and to have it play like a dream was ridiculously impossible in the late 50's. Even in yesteryear's dollars.

9. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Tele-Meister

Bled on my picking hand before... Sometimes I'm a little too aggressive with my rakes... I constantly have a raw pointer finger, and scratch marks on my pinky and ring finger nails from the strings.

Never on my fretting hand, and I've played a good 5-6 hours non stop before... Sometimes 8 total hours in a day... My calluses are now just really thick skin that doesn't go away and won't hurt unless I play acoustic for hours on end...

But it's not a myth! One kid I give lessons to has played enough to make his fingers bleed, and bleed a lot. Now if I could only get him to play the stuff that I TEACH him that much...

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Strat 5 way switches without knobs are knuckle tearers.....

when I did sheetmetal work I'd often come home with small razor cuts on the tips of some fingers from the feather edges on the plates after cutting...

get home, grab the guitar for a play... slide a note up the B or E string right into/along the cut....
    and open it up again.. yowwwwww,,,,,
    one small cut on the tip of a finger can stop you playing for a week sometimes.... :(

11. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

I remember reading where G Harrison was in the studio with thJohn/Paul?ringo and he said he played till his fingers bleed.

12. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

+1. Mine was a 2tonereddishb brown/black. The peg head was similiar to a Fenders.

13. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Lucinda Williams must have experienced the same trauma cos she wrote 'Real Live Bleeding Fingers and Broken Guitar Strings' a few years ago!

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Fretting hand, no way.....If you cut your picking hand (doing "windmills" or whatever) it doesn't count. That's just clumsiness.

15. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1

16. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Wow, that sounds extremely painful.

17. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Hehe, my friend played til he bled on a gig many years ago.

Myself? I found out that playing gallops on a nitrofinish tele can work up a nasty burn under the forearm. (practised A LOT on a maiden song for a gig.)

18. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

That must be why I use flats on my bass.

:lol: PJ

19. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

Fretting hand no.

But - i use a flatpick and the while strumming heavy chords the fingernail of my right index finger hits the strings. So while heavy touring i always played this fingernail off. Tried nailpolish, superglue and other stuff to protect my fingernail but sometimes it happened that, without enough fingernail, i hurt the nailbed . . even bled sometimes . . :(

20. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

The reason I call it a myth, is:

• I've never done it (I've been playing since 1964).
    • I've always thought it was referring to the fretting hand.
    • It sounds like one of those "big fish" stories.

Now on LP's (and other Gibbies), those little razors under the pots will tear you a new one. Those come off immediately.:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.