Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Playing, Practicing, Recording solo (no band). Best amplification for this?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DHart, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    OP - why go down the rabbit hole? You found a solution the works for you. It puts a smile on your face. It gives you the sounds you want. Why look farther than that?

DHart likes this.

2. alfabit1

alfabit1 TDPRI Member

Jul 30, 2013
    MO
    Great post. I'm one of those in this same type of situation. I've never been in a band and am just a home player doing some noodling and recording here there in my basement studio room. Started out years ago trying the amp sim plugin thing then moved on to tube amps, cabs and mics. Much better feel and sound -but loud, and now with a couple of children (one who's under 2) that doesn't work so well anymore for late night practice / recording.

I looked into attenuators, load boxes, iso cabs, etc. The THR seems to get a ton of praise for this as well. I ended up trying a Suhr Reactive Load box that I run into my DAW to use with speaker/cab IRs. I'm pretty shocked at how well this works and sounds. It allows me to use my amps and crank them as much as I want as I can control the volume via my monitors or by going through headphones. So far it beats anything I've been able to get by micing my own cabs ... and silently at that.

This setup can be a little more cumbersome for practice when you just want to flip on and go, however I still have my cabs so I do tend to go through them for practicing when the family is up - but for recording it's a blessing. Yet another option for those reading!

DHart likes this.

3. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    From videos I’ve watched, it looks like Le Clean would suit me well.

4. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I’m always interested in options, especially new options that I previously knew nothing about - guitar preamps are something that I never paid any attention to and so now I want to learn what is available and how they might work with my powered studio monitors. I may find a solution that I like even more than the Yamaha THR10 into the studio monitors.

5. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I have a THR10 and an Orange Rocker 15 at home.. I can play either at a quiet enough volume level to practice to my heart's content at just about any gain level without bothering anyone.

Tube warm up factor doesn't seem to be a big deal with my Orange amp. If I turn the amp on to standby, strum a few bars, then tune the guitar, the tubes are warm & ready to go. Do some amps take 5 minutes to warm up or something? The better feedback of the tube amp tends to win out almost all the time, though I use the THR almost every day as well as I'll run drums or music through it to play along with, and then of course sometimes I do play through the THR.

But I often go out to practice at the school where I take lessons. It's maybe even better. They've got Orange Crush 35RT amps in there I usually use. No pedals. I'll either bring my Beat Buddy or plug my phone into the Aux and practice away. They definitely don't sound as good as my tube amp and I need to work the EQ a lot to set it up. But it tends to be super productive, and forces me to just use the EQ on the amp + volume/tone on the guitar to do what I want. No time wasted.

I guess the computer approach is great if you want to record but most of the time I don't want the computer around since I'm on one at work all the time.

DHart likes this.

6. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    DHart likes this.

7. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but does anyone use a little MP3 player (iPod or similar) for backing tracks?

I work from home and don't want to sit in my office, at my iMac, while unwinding. Like OP, I don't gig.

My set-up is simple - a Zoom G5n into a Blackstar ID15 TVP. I was going to get a Jamman for backing tracks, but the G5n looper is long enough for most of my needs, and an MP3 will display more information about the backing track than the Jamman.

So, Jamman or MP3? Any views welcomed (and apologies to OP if I'm going off-thread).

Thanks.

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    OP, I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. I work at a computer pretty much all day long and my practice time = time NOT spent sitting down looking at a computer. I want to be able to flip one switch, tune up and play for a 20-30 minute stretch before work with no computer screen in my face. For that I'm glad I have a couple of real amps!

DHart likes this.

9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I'm the same way.

But I'm also going through a transition away from amps and toward modeling and studio monitors, because I play alone too.

Currently, I'm using a Boss GT-100. First and most importantly: I don't need a computer to use it. I've found that the individual amp models just aren't that great. But you can combine two different ones, play to the strengths of each, and mix them how you wish. Pretty easily as a matter of fact. And it really adds to the complexity of the tones. I'm enjoying how I sound well enough now. And as an added bonus, I've got a tweakable delay with tap tempo, overdrives and lots of goofy effects if I choose to use them. Is the GT-100 tube screamer as good as a real one? Nope. But it's more tweakable, which levels the playing field for me. And it's already in the box - no wires, no concern about buffers, easily moved in the "signal path". The trick is to spend enough time with it to find a compelling tone - something that makes you wanna keep at it.

However, there is nothing in else the world like having a real tube amp in the room with you. It's just not practical for me right now.

DHart likes this.

10. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I don’t use a computer for my amplification - it has nothing to do with it. When I’m playing and practicing, it’s not running - unless I’m watching a YouTube instructional video to learn from.

The computer is present, but you don’t have to turn it on, nor use it, unless you want to for recording.

Guitar into a THR10, with headphone output jack driving a pair of M-Audio powered studio monitors. Incredible tone! At everything from whisper quiet volumes to roaring. Computer is off if I don’t want it running.

The THR10 creates the guitar amp tones and provides an array of EFX, then the studio monitors reproduce it in gloriously rich hi-fi. It’s an incredible system. No computer involved, unless I’m recording to it. The monitor is on in the photo, but it has nothing to do with the guitar’s amplification system.

This is more difficult to startup than a basic guitar amp, however, as I have two switches I have to turn on: power bar for the studio monitors and power switch on the THR10. :cool: I guess I could plug the THR10 into the power bar also, then just ONE switch to turn on. :)

The greatest advantage of this system, however, is that the guitar amp creates the tone and then it can be reproduced in rich hi-fi quality at any sound level that suits the situation - even at very low conversational levels, the sound quality is rich and full-bodied. It doesn’t have to be loud to sound great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018

11. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    I have a few tube amps but rarely use them at home.
    when I record stuff I use a pod 500x into audacity and use some semi decent headphones.
    it works well for what I do.....I can get just about any sound I can think of and I can do it quietly.

DHart likes this.

12. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Yeah... the studio monitor approach is a dream come true for those who don’t NEED a conventional amp. I’m thinking about trying just a high end preamp (like the Two Notes Le Clean) then into the studio monitors. I really don’t have a need for a conventional amp. My present system with the Yamaha THR10 and Studio Monitors sounds so good, though, that I’m not much motivated to bother with anything else.

Real tube amps are great and certainly have their place. My real tube amps have their place on the floor and for the most part are sitting idle since I’ve gone to the THR10 and Studio Monitor approach. I’m not eager to sell the tube amps, but at the same time, I don’t use them either. o_O

13. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I don’t use an MP3 player for backing tracks, but the Yamaha THR10 is designed to take one of those as an input device for you to play along with. Another benefit of the THR10.

14. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    I'm gonna not read any responses and then blather on about my agenda...
    I have several amps/pedals and a pod pro 500 hd... modeling - it's ok by me.

I won't get rid of my modeler because it is a better tool for quickly capturing my ideas, and dry comes in handy later so I can run sgear/thd/etc.

I've played the thd. it is a nice amp. The one thing I don't like about it and/or the prox is that the interface is not the greatest. just a thought there.
    Also, you computer is generally a much more powerful machine = better modeling. My prox has become essentially a way to get my dry signal/ideas into my computer.

so my solution: dif tools for dif jobs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.