Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Playing, Practicing, Recording solo (no band). Best amplification for this?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DHart, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    OP - why go down the rabbit hole? You found a solution the works for you. It puts a smile on your face. It gives you the sounds you want. Why look farther than that?

DHart likes this.

2. alfabit1

alfabit1 TDPRI Member

Jul 30, 2013
    MO
    Great post. I'm one of those in this same type of situation. I've never been in a band and am just a home player doing some noodling and recording here there in my basement studio room. Started out years ago trying the amp sim plugin thing then moved on to tube amps, cabs and mics. Much better feel and sound -but loud, and now with a couple of children (one who's under 2) that doesn't work so well anymore for late night practice / recording.

I looked into attenuators, load boxes, iso cabs, etc. The THR seems to get a ton of praise for this as well. I ended up trying a Suhr Reactive Load box that I run into my DAW to use with speaker/cab IRs. I'm pretty shocked at how well this works and sounds. It allows me to use my amps and crank them as much as I want as I can control the volume via my monitors or by going through headphones. So far it beats anything I've been able to get by micing my own cabs ... and silently at that.

This setup can be a little more cumbersome for practice when you just want to flip on and go, however I still have my cabs so I do tend to go through them for practicing when the family is up - but for recording it's a blessing. Yet another option for those reading!

DHart likes this.

3. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    From videos I’ve watched, it looks like Le Clean would suit me well.

4. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I’m always interested in options, especially new options that I previously knew nothing about - guitar preamps are something that I never paid any attention to and so now I want to learn what is available and how they might work with my powered studio monitors. I may find a solution that I like even more than the Yamaha THR10 into the studio monitors.

5. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I have a THR10 and an Orange Rocker 15 at home.. I can play either at a quiet enough volume level to practice to my heart's content at just about any gain level without bothering anyone.

Tube warm up factor doesn't seem to be a big deal with my Orange amp. If I turn the amp on to standby, strum a few bars, then tune the guitar, the tubes are warm & ready to go. Do some amps take 5 minutes to warm up or something? The better feedback of the tube amp tends to win out almost all the time, though I use the THR almost every day as well as I'll run drums or music through it to play along with, and then of course sometimes I do play through the THR.

But I often go out to practice at the school where I take lessons. It's maybe even better. They've got Orange Crush 35RT amps in there I usually use. No pedals. I'll either bring my Beat Buddy or plug my phone into the Aux and practice away. They definitely don't sound as good as my tube amp and I need to work the EQ a lot to set it up. But it tends to be super productive, and forces me to just use the EQ on the amp + volume/tone on the guitar to do what I want. No time wasted.

I guess the computer approach is great if you want to record but most of the time I don't want the computer around since I'm on one at work all the time.

6. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.