Player Tele Bridge Issue - My Experience with Fender CR

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ziggy587, Feb 10, 2019.

1. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

Man, if they gave you anything I would be shocked. The very late replies I got from them were in the flavor of we don't care how long you have been playing our guitars, we are fender and we know best, followed by a bunch of legal speak. I didn't go into how much money I have spent with them over the years or how many flipping guitars I have indirectly sold for them. Wouldn't have mattered one bit. They are catching the disease that Gibson is recovering from.

2. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It honestly seems like the bar is just incredibly low with customer service with almost all guitar/music related stuff.

All the local luthiers and techs I've dealt with have been a PITA in general. It's why I ended up redoing my electronics in my MIM Tele myself when it broke and why I invested in nut files & other stuff to learn setup myself.

I took an acoustic guitar back to GC for malfunctioning pickups in 2017 (I bought it from them), it was under warranty they could have just sent it back to Alvarez, they couldn't even figure that out and messed the guitar up. I ended up calling Alvarez myself and they took care of me, thank goodness they didn't refuse to talk to the end customer!

I have not had many good experiences with anyone except my guitar teacher. And I've had some bad experiences/drama with the management where he used to work!

3. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

Same here. They replaced the guitar. What's crazy is that the store that is their authorized warranty facility got two guitars in , my replacement and one that they ordered. The other one had the bent steel saddles. Fender is still sending them out even sfter becoming aware of the problem.

4. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

So the restringing issue didn't bother you but the set screws were coming loose?
    ... and you are a proud DIYer.
    Ahhhhhh... Loctite?

5. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

I actually left a lot of my story out because I didn't want to post a novel. The main reason I waited so long to contact Fender is because I knew they would insist I bring the guitar to an authorized service center. There's only three ASCs close to where I live, and two of them are Guitar Center.

I really don't want to bring my guitar to Guitar Center because of stories like yours, and there's plenty of those stories out there. Also, the Guitar Center closest to me, I've known two former employees that have both told me the "tech" there is an idiot. What's more, I've observed the tech there on a few occasions and I wouldn't trust him with delivering me a pizza, let alone touching one of my guitars.

That leaves just one ASC in my area, and it's a privately owned luthier that's been there for ages. I thought if I HAD to bring my guitar in for service, I felt the most comfortable going to him. So I brought my Player Telecaster down to him one weekend, at Fender's direction. The guy was beyond rude to me. I walk in and he looks at me but doesn't greet me, so it's awkward right off the bat. I start to explain by saying, "I bought this Fender Telecaster" and he cuts me off with this snippy remark, "That was your first mistake!" So I explain the situation with the saddles and that Fender is replacing them but they require I bring it to an ASC. So he starts taking my info and eventually asks for an original receipt since Fender will require that. I hand him a packing slip and explain that it's all I have because I ordered it online. He gives me a very snippy, "That was your SECOND mistake. Never buy a guitar without playing it first." Then he goes on to tell me that I should have bought the Road Worn series instead.

Now, to each his own. I would never knock a guy for wanting to play a guitar before buying it. So don't give me crap for ordering a mass produced telecaster online without playing it first. If you want to impart some wisdom on me, that's cool, but there's no reason to be rude about it. And saying I should have bought some other series Telecaster instead, like I'm an idiot for not haven chose that one (it was all in the tone this guy had). Even though this guy never heard of the Player Series up until just then, he's telling me I should have bought the Road Worn!

He tells me to take my guitar with me because he's "not a warehouse" and he's been waiting 6 months for Fender to send him a part for another guitar. So I take my Telecaster back with me. Then I decided I didn't want to be subjected to more of that guy, so I called him up and told him to forget about the whole thing.

I don't know, maybe this guy was trying to quit smoking that day or his dog just died. Either way, he was the biggest d-bag I've encountered in a while.

I was considering using a light thread lock for while. But having to use thread lock on a brand new guitar... just doesn't seem right. I was just so frustrated by the whole thing, I really couldn't make up my mind for a few months. I finally decided to grab the MIM bridge off eBay for $18 shipped, and I'm glad I did. Who wants a brand new guitar that has to be rigged up just to play right?

6. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a MIM Standard. My bridge has been fine in terms of staying in adjustment but I have been told by the best tech/luthier I’ve met that the 6-saddle standard bridge still has occasional problems with the height adjustment screws backing out and sometimes needs loctite.

Mine has been totally fine for 2 years now though so hopefully yours will be great too. This will all pass and you’ll love that guitar.

Ziggy587 likes this.
  7. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Wow, good to know. Thanks for that info.

For reference, the screws in my bent steel saddles would move in a matter of minutes. With no exaggeration, every 5 minutes or so I would have to tune up the strings because they would be flat by a good margin.

Haha, thanks. I hope so. I decided to give it a name today. Butters, after the character from South Park. Because the finish is BUTTERScotch, and because the South Park character is lovable but a little dumb at times (like this guitar and the saddles).

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I believe Fender was really trying to make the Player series as close as possible to the former (2008-2016) American Standard series, so that meant using bent steel saddles on the Teles as well as the Strats. Of course the American Standards have a different bridge geometry - to make the Strat-sized saddles work - but they evidently thought they could just slap bent-steel saddles on the MIM bridge plate, which has the same geometry as vintage Tele bridges so it didn't work. They just didn't think it through.

By "geometry" I mean where the holes for the strings are placed in the body and the bridge plate.

BrandonIke likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.