Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Played around with the new GT100 today....

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DougF, May 5, 2017.

1. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    I agree with several others that this thing sounds like ass straight out of the box. I played around with it for a few days, and what I thought was the speaker breaking in got a little better but still not great. I had an old Celestion Vintage 30 (8 ohm) laying around so I put that in just to see if things changed. To be honest, it didn't sound that different, still what to my ears sounded stiff and sterile. The only way I have found to get some very good presets is just play around with the settings until you find something you like. I almost across the board am adding more bass and reverb to every preset, and changing the cabs. Sounds nuts, but I have the 1x12 supersonic cab on the Princeton, and one of the 4x12 cabs on the 57 Deluxe. Changed cabs, gain and volume settings on several more presets. I am doing all this with an Esquire guitar and no pedals or effects, just the amp. I still think think these GTs show potential, but we will probably have to wait until a community of presets grows to work around the standard ones that come loaded in the amp.

2. taylorrobertburns

taylorrobertburns TDPRI Member

May 4, 2017
    Buffalo, NY
    Had ZERO luck with the Line 6 POD HD500x. Cool to hear the boss product is more promising.

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    I had the same issue when I brought home the Mustang 3 v2. The presets out of the box sound like dying cats. I had to mess with it for a few days before I really figured out what it could do.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Yep, same here. Like I've said, i think it not only takes time to figure out how to get the best from them, but the speaker is a huge issue in getting great tone. He tried a V30 and said it made little difference. IMO it SHOULD have made it sound worse. Last thing you want in a modeler is a very mid peaky speaker thats totally the opposite of flat response.It;s unfortunate the GT is crippled due to the speaker unlike the V2 vecause it makes it that much harder for people to get past the bad tone and see there are killer ones in there. The V2 had the same issue in the settings taking time to really learn to the point great tones could be had, but at least it wasn't crippled by it;s speaker.

Like i said already, i've now tried the stock speaker, then a EV thats usually my fav speaker with every amp including the V2, then finally i hit gold using the celestion that came with my V2. That plus figuring out where this amp;s strengths and weakness' are and i'm getting tones that beat my V2 in overall tone but even more so in the ability to get a lot MORE great tones. On my V2 i was really pretty much stuck with one model set one way in order to get tone good enough that i was extremely happy with it. With the GT i'm finding equally as great tones in many models. And i've just begun. The amp;s potential is far greater than the V2. There are a lot of feature issues, granted. I'm not 100% satisfied by any means, but as pure tone goes i am more than satisfied. But i had to figure out the speaker than. maybe the stock will be good once broken in and maybe thats why my well broken in V2's speaker sounds so much better. But once the right speaker is in then and only then can you begin to tweak and find killer tones. Thats MO.

Let me just say this....I've been playing since around '70 and spent decades gigging the local bar circuits and trust me, you don't do that without learning what good tone is. If this amp wasn't capable of some damn good tone there's no way on earth i wouldn't have returned it by now. You gotta believe make when i say, this amp is capable of excellent tone but it took me exactly ONE WEEK to finally nail it by figuring out the speaker issue and spending a lot of time learning the amp's strengths and weakness'. It's frustrating to see so many people giving it bad marks when i know that if they found the right speaker and/or models and settings for them, in many of these cases they'd be singing praises instead of giving it bad marks. I'm having a lot of issues with some features that i hate compared to the V2, but the tone and variety of great usable tones is too good to pass on the amp.

GrantR and stnmtthw like this.

5. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    I don't know how relevant it is, but I noticed my Celestion V30 is almost twice the weight of the one that came stock with the GT100.

6. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    It's not really. Magnet size affects tone but it's the overall design that decides what the end tone is. Magnet size is part of the equasion and is a big part of power handling. The key is getting the right speaker for the GT AND for the cabinet it has. It can be crucial. As an example of the cab's influence, i was using my fav speaker in my MIIIV2, a EV12L and i preferred it over the stock speaker. When i got the GT i hated the speaker and fashioned a cable to allow me to cip onto the GT's speaker leads and run it to the EV12L in my V2. Loved it. Great just like it was in the MIII. So after a time i decided thats going in the GT and i had to modify to make it fit, but it did. Fired it up and thought WTF? Sounded nothing like it did in the other cab. Then i try the stock speaker i had long ago taken out of the MIII and bingo.

Point is, in the GT's cab my speaker choice was the complete opposite of what i liked in the V2 cab with the same amp powering them. I've said it before, i cannot imagine the stock speaker in the GT sounding as good once well broken in as what i have in it now. Seems like that would be too much of a improvement for just break in to cause. But who knows. I'm thinking about putting the stock GT speaker in the V2 and pumping tunes thru it for hours and see if i can break it in and how it then sounds.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    GrantR and DougF like this.

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    :confused:

I'm pretty sure the GT-100 he is referring to is the latest Fender Mustang Amp, not the BOSS Multi FX.
    FWIW, I get along fine with my HD-500... :)

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    First, it doesn't sound crazy at all. I have the GT40 and I think the best results are had by finding the best cabinet for the amp model. Also playing with the "Sag" setting helps. At first I thought some of the presets sounded a little dark but I've actually been adding more bass.
    I will say that the clean tones are very good in many cases and adding some gain will get realistic break up tones.
    As for potential, I agree. I too await for the contribution to the preset community.
    In my case, the GT40 fits a need. It's a quick an easy way to stream a backing track or a song; find/tweak a preset that matches the song and playing.

9. taylorrobertburns

taylorrobertburns TDPRI Member

May 4, 2017
    Buffalo, NY
    Right, my mistake.

10. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I need to fix what i said in my post above. Just goes to show you how you can't judge this amp without time. The horrible stock speaker i mentioned that i can't imagine sounding as good as the old celestion i had put in the GT......i now love it. Fender knew what they were doing boy. I should have said nothing till i had the thing a while, but nooooooooo, i had to open my big mouth !!!:lol:

xland likes this.

11. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    I agree, after a little break-in this amp sounds outstanding, especially if you set all the cabs to 4x12G like you suggested.

12. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Sorry, double post, please delete.

13. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    That cab is the ****e ain't it? If a model doesn't work well with that cab i tend to move to another model. :D I didn't really like any of the cabs in the V2 much. There are several in the GT i like but the 412G just rules the roost.

14. The dman

The dman TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Nice I'll have to check that cab out today

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.