Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Played a Vibrolux Reverb today. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 8barlouie, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I went to the local shop where I have work done on my guitars today to pick up my Fernandes Strat which got a level and crown and a new nut and full setup. The tech asked my if I wanted to plug it in to check it out. I said sure.

So he plugs me into this Vibrolux Reverb they have on the floor which is for sale. It’s used with a faded stain on the grille cloth that looks like it might have shared a beer with a former owner. Anyway, this amp sounded superb. I only played it at low volume since it was on the open floor and the place was busy. I was blown away by how it sounded.

The knobs were different than most Blackface amps I’ve ever played. They were flat, sorta pill shaped and they were a light putty color. I think it might have been a Custom? Wish I had taken a picture. It had a normal and a bright channel with 212 configuration.

I currently play a DRRI, which I really like. I’ve often gassed for a Vibrolux, but this is the first time I’ve actually played one. I was surprised at how nice it sounded and felt at conversation volume. Is this a good amp to own? Meaning, is it good property if I decide to flip it down the road?

TeleFunk Man likes this.

2. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Those CVR amps are only blackface in appearance. On the inside they are akin to a 63 Vibroverb. Not that it's a bad thing. I quite like them

8barlouie likes this.

3. 8barlouie

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    What are they like at around 4 or 5 on the volume? I guess I should check YouTube.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    They're a PCB and no tube rectifier. Not bad amps, they can be noisy but if it's not it's good. They're not like an old one, they have their own vibe. Not a lot of headroom, but the old ones are loud amps.

8barlouie likes this.

5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    This amp is nothing like a true Vibrolux, but I’ve owned the CVR and I like them. That said, I like them better with the stock RI P10R’s replaced. You’ll get more headroom and a warmer sound, IMHO. I also like them better after the Moyer mods, which basically turns the amp back into a 63 Vibroverb Reissue. Look up Moyer mods on here, mucho threads about this.

But I do like the amp in stock form too. I used mine that way for many years.

Don’t know if I’d buy one to flip as opinions on this amp tend to vary, but I thought mine was a fine amp.

8barlouie likes this.

6. 8barlouie

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    The speakers were blue frame alnico. I’m not sure if they were stock or not. I’ll ask if I get closer to buying it. I see from my research thespeakers were more than likely 10 inch.

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    If they were stock blue frame alnicos, then it’s probably an early one.

8barlouie likes this.

8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

They are not a big favorite Fender amp, assuming we are speaking about a Custom Vibrolux Reverb, and not an actual Vibrolux Reverb.
    They can be noisy, as said above , and check for that.
    By four or five on volume, you're about out of headroom, and starting to overdrive. Not a bad thing, they have a very sweet OD sound.
    It's a good amp.

8barlouie likes this.

9. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    They have a nice smooth OD tone that starts to show around there.

8barlouie likes this.

10. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2013
    Manitoba
    One of the best gigging amps out there. I sold mine because I got a good deal on something else but it's the one amp I regret parting with. Tight low end and punches through a mix.

8barlouie likes this.

11. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    Albany,NY
    Great idea, great amps. There are two versions as others have said. I have a blackface that’s my #1.
    Owned the CVR, it was fun too.

8barlouie likes this.

12. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    That tech is also a good salesman

8barlouie likes this.

13. 8barlouie

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    They had a bunch of em on the floor, including a Twin and a HRD. He just happened to plug me into the one I’m unfamiliar with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.