Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Played a '66 Precision the other day.

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by spupilup, Jan 5, 2019.

1. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2018
    New England
    First, I should preface this by saying I played bass all throughout the '70's and early'80's. I sold off my old Rick 4001 and my beloved G&L L1000 as things changed in my life.

Last summer, I picked up a Squier Bass VI just to have a little fun with. It's been a blast but it's not a real bass guitar.

Flash forward to last week when I had the opportunity to play a really nice '66 Precision. It was in a beautiful sunburst finish with a rosewood neck. It wasn't perfect but, at just under $4K it was more than reasonable.
    It was light, the body resonated like my American Original 50's Tele and the neck was superb.

Well, it got me thinking about how amazing my old G&L was. Sadly, most of the really early '80's G&L's that I've seen have lived a tough life. I'm really jonesing for either a nice P bass or L1000. What with my experience with the AO Tele I have, I think I'm going to have to take a look at one of the AO Precisions.

Anyone have any experience with either the AO P bass or the CLF G&L?

erratick likes this.
  2. erratick

erratick Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    SoCal
    Have not played either of the those. The new CLF G&Ls look good, especially if you liked your old L1000.

The AO Precision looks fantastic. The 60s style should have that 66 Precision neck style- although back in the day, it was hand made, so you got some thinner, some thicker. I'm a thinner neck guy, so that 60s AO is more my speed.

3. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    I haven't played either but I do love my 2014 L1000. 12" fretboard radius is a big plus for me. There have been several short runs of the L1000 before the CLF series, you might want to keep an eye out for one of those on the used market at a good price. Chances are it will be in much better shape than one of the early 80s originals.

4. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

Before you do that you should at least play a Mexican P Bass before you spend all that dough.Do a little comparing.I was shocked to say the least.Maybe I got a really good one,who knows.Not trying to knock the vintage one at all.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2018
    New England
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve played a MIM Jazz Bass a friend has. It’s not bad and represents great value for the money. However, I never felt so moved by it that I had to have one just like it.

Although, I will say the 50’s Classic MIM P bass looks pretty cool especially for under $1k. It’s nitro, with a cool looking 7.25” maple neck, has the anodized pick guard and could be a real player. I just haven’t seen one in person. There’s a shop a little over an hour away that sells G&L and usually stocks a good selection of Fender product as well. I’ll have to see if they have one in stock I could try.

Plus, sadly, I don’t have the time to chase around used gear on CL and such.

6. memiller

memiller TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    It's still weird to me that guitarists and bassists have never figured out that the instrument is named for the register it plays in, not the scale length or number of strings.

Dave W likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    See if you can also get your hands on a Lakland Skyline series to try.

thunderbyrd and memiller like this.
  8. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    This. ^^^

What we call a bass or a bass guitar is an instrument in the guitar family that's tuned to the bass range. If a Bass VI is tuned to low E, it's a bass.

memiller likes this.
  9. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2018
    New England
    I’m thrilled that Dave W. and memiller are forming a mutual admiration society. I just wonder if, beyond snark, they have anything of import to add to the thread.

10. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    What the hell is your problem? When you start a thread, you don't get to control the content. You said a Bass VI isn't a real bass guitar. He disagreed, and I agreed with him. No more, no less. You opened the door by making a statement I consider to be false. Nothing snarky about it.

11. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2018
    New England
    What the hell is my problem? Seriously? What purpose did either your comment or memiller's serve? You're like the grammar police and we all know how much we love them. If you have nothing to say, better to keep out of the conversation than to display for all to see what an ....... you are.

Now, do you have anything worthwhile to contribute, like maybe an opinion on a CLF L1000? Guess not.

12. memiller

memiller TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    Don't get butthurt because you don't know what a bass is. That's your problem, not mine. If you can't stand people commenting on your post, don't ask questions on a public forum. Simple as that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.