Played A $4,700 Telecaster This Weekend...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by bsman, Nov 26, 2018.

1. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I happened to be in the neighborhood of the main Music 123 store years ago and stopped in. They had a Jeff Beck Limited edition Esquire just sitting on the floor. To this day it is the best feeling/comfortable guitar I've ever played. So good that it almost played itself - which in my case was fortunate since I have very little talent ;) I forget the price tag but it was something ridiculous. In second place is my AVRI 62 Tele, but I realize they are two different instruments.

2. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

I'm an idiot with impulse buying issues. I would have bought it if it really sounded that good. My favorite buys however are when the cheaper one out plays the expensive one. My best sounding LP is my cheapest, ugliest one.

jim777 likes this.
  3. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Shall I tell you what happened to my wife's face when she found out?

jim777 likes this.
  4. adamstrings

adamstrings TDPRI Member

From my limited experience I would agree with the last paragraph here. That's what I often do. But a Masterbuilt? Never tried one-only standard CS-a few felt/sounded great and at east as many were disappointing.

5. adamstrings

adamstrings TDPRI Member

From my limited experience I would agree with the last paragraph here. That's what I often do. But a Masterbuild? Never tried one-only standard CS-a few felt/sounded great and at least as many were disappointing.

baiff likes this.
  6. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

They can be hit or miss but I think the set up is where the magic lies. I played a few CS and one MB tele the other day and they were all set up horribly. Why people think that the bridge pickup needs to be licking the bottom of the strings in beyond me. Played a MIM tele and one of the new professional ones and they played like butter. When I put a parts tele together it takes time to dial it in but once it's don't they play fantastic.

jim777 and adamstrings like this.
  7. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I'm looking at Custom Shop Teles now, but I'll pile on and say the MIM Baja Teles are ridiculously good for the price. Mine was 700 with a hard case and Callaham compensated saddles and gets more play time than any of my other guitars by a wide margin (and I've got a dozen or so). That guitar was flat out done right.

baiff likes this.
  8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I live in Santa Rosa and remember seeing that guitar in Bananas. It reminded me of someting that did years in a punk band in the 70s it was so rough. I had no idea it was a CS! Frankly it was a Frankenguitar and just taken too far from anything stock to be worth that kind of money. The world is full of really good, well-appointed and put-together $800 Frankencasters. My $0.02.

9. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Well, since that time I’ve picked up an American Pro strat ($999 “open box), and I’m just as besotted with that....

10. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I own a very early CS Tele, with the oval logo. I bought it at "We Buy" in Manhattan about 25 years ago. I was with my GF & my goal for the day was to come home with a great Tele. I played several, almost settled on 1 of 2 Jerry Donahue models, when i saw this hanging in the window. As soon as I had it in my hands, I said "This is the one" & plunked down a grand for it. It's a Roy Buchanan Nancy looking clone, but the tone & feel is like nothing else I have ever played or owned. Play one & you'll know. BTW they didn't do any of that relic nonsense back then it was mint when I bought it; the "relicing" is a quarter century of honest wear. CS logo.JPG Teleblack.JPG

Mudman32, Blue Bill, bsman and 2 others like this.
  11. Morgenholz

Morgenholz TDPRI Member

I never got the relic thing until I picked one up and played it. It is NOT the finish that makes it. Because they are going to put a few hundred dollars' worth of finishing into it, they select the more choice bits to put it together in the first place, as if they actually enjoy doing this. I have played by now scores of NOS, Closet Classics, and Relics since 1999, and there is something tangible and audible to the relics.

Kontaktmoi and ac15 like this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There's many, many high quality instruments available that are hand made and hand loved that meet or exceed Fender Custom Shop quality and specs but cost far less...they just aren't made by Fender and don't carry the Fender logo. It's all a question of what that logo means to you.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Morgenholz

Morgenholz TDPRI Member

"What that logo means to you..."
    For some of us with misplaced aesthetic values, it is a question of continuity rather than superficiality... and yeah, I've got a G&L for that reason. But thanks, I'll go back to staring at my logos.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

:( Who accused you of having misplaced values?

15. Morgenholz

Morgenholz TDPRI Member

I accuse myself.
    These things were developed by Leo Fender, so for me, if I want a Fender design, I'm gonna buy a Fender, even though his ownership control interest was sold in 1965, unless it is a G&L incorporating his later refinements. There are some incredibly gifted luthiers currently making Fender-style instruments, but IMO, they could perhaps develop their own aesthetic.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's amazing what they charge these days for a little hands on work on guitars.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. Morgenholz

Morgenholz TDPRI Member

Yeah, a good chunk of it is simply the setup...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I've never played a master-built but the magic of tone wood aside could someone tell me spec wise exactly what makes them superior?

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's the upcharge for having a human pull it off the rack and spend time finessing it and tailoring it to your desired specs. The necks are supposedly shaped by hand, The wood to begin with is a ballpark better weight and quality too. Then there's the custom nitro which adds to the time it needs storing and finishing and they do a setup on it to suit your preferance. They offer options of hand wound pickups, age parts if you want etc. Somehow all that combined equals many thousands more dollars in cost. I don't think all that is a guarantee it will turn out to be superior. Depends on what you are comparing it to and a bit of luck I guess. Cost aside it should certainly increase the odds of you being happy with it though.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Those sound like nice upgrades but for the most part aren't those things that a really good tech could do just as well for a fraction of the cost?

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.