Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Plastic" feeling on fingerboard? (Cheaper guitar feature?)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Villanova, May 31, 2010.

1. Villanova

Villanova TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2009
    NYC
    So I'm looking to buy one of those Danelectro Page 59s and I finally got a chance to try one out.

I was really let down by the feeling of the fingerboard. It had an odd, plastic like feeling to it that was very uncomfortable. I understand its meant to be a cheaper guitar. I'm fine with the rest of it except for that fingerboard.

My question is will that "plastic" feeling go away after I get some playing wear on it? Can I polish that synthetic wood? Or will that fingerboard always be that way?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Doesn't that guitar have a rosewood fretboard? I have never seen a Dano..orignal or Reissue....with anything other than rosewood for the fretboard. I haven't seen everything, though.

3. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    The fingerboard is real rosewood. The back and top are masonite.

Not sure how to account for the plastic feeling. Maybe use some lem-oil to condition the board (maybe it's dry)?

4. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The originals had masonite bodies. I went to the Dano site to read about the new ones just for the 'board info....
    There it says that they chose to use plywood for the bodies of the RI's for sonic reasons.

5. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Masonite's probably more expensive than plywood.

Original (real) Danelectros have such a great sound. Quite distinctive too. I wonder if the plywood is going to change all that.

6. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I would agree with distinctive. Great is in the ear of the beholder. I deem them to be righteously funky.....and completely appropriate for some things. The plywood probably yields a more solid sonic quality....a different attack, sustain, decay. Whatever, the Dano sight says the plywood soudned 'better'....to them, at least. I love the old Dano's....hate the bridges, though.

7. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    I wonder if it's some species of wood that is marketed as "rosewood" -- there are quite a few. My friend has an old Hagstrom with a rosewood board that is really smooth and shiny, almost waxy-feeling.

Probably not much you can do about it. I assume you don't like the feel when bending? Perhaps roughening it with some coarse-grit sandpaper will do the trick (don't scratch the frets though!)

- Scott

8. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    My Teisoc Spectrum has that "plastic' vibe and quality to it, has had it for 40 years, "always has always will , hahaha" part of it's garage basher, pawnshop blues charm

9. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    I've thought about this question a bit and I've decided I don't know what the answer is. Outside of ebonite fretboards or those on Maccaferri guitars, I don't know what a plastic-y fretboard is.

Villanova, what experience with other guitars do you have?

I guess my answer is if you don't like something, for whatever reason, just move on. There's no point wasting your time trying to solve something that isn't solveable.

If Danelectros have caught your attention though, look for an original one - American made (Neptune, NJ) from the '60s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.