Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Planning my partscaster build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tacomamc, Oct 2, 2017.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I’ve been on the fence between a partscaster and a G&L Tribute ASAT. I’ve decided to go ahead with a partscaster build. I’ve got a few things on hand and a small bit of funds in my PayPal account. I’ll be selling another electric, and possibly parting it out in order to raise the funds for the rest of the build. Your input, as always, is welcome.

Here’s my list, and what I’m Planning for each component.

Body (Eden?)
    Neck (Allparts TRO Fat)
    Bridge pu (Fender ‘62)
    Tuners (Sperzal locking tuners I have)
    Nut (undecided - probably graphtec)
    Bridge (have a Fender ‘62 bridge with threaded saddles)
    Control plate
    Neck plate
    Jack cup (electro socket)
    Pick guard
    Neck pickup (may use a Carvin neck HB, but I’m open to suggestions here for single coil or other)
    Dome knobs
    3 way switch
    Ferrules (have)

I’ve got pots, wiring, and a jack.

The neck will get a couple coats of tru-oil. I’m not sure what the body will be. It’ll depend on what I can find tho.... if it ends up being an unfinished body, it may get tru-oil as well.

So this will serve to document my slow build process. I’ll update with pics as I go.

2. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Any recommendations for a Tele neck pickup in the “$40 and below category”

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Tonerider might be worth looking at.

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    The Fender OV set is a good deal and sounds great. I've had a SD '59 and Phat Cat through the neck position on my parts tele but keep coming back to the OV's. Also, you might consider a used Fender body. I upgraded to a used Baja body on mine. A little more expensive but the blonde finish is much better than anything I could come up with on my own and all my parts fit well with no drilling required. A MIM body will be routed for a neck HB if you decide to go that route.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

5. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I’ve got nearly enough to order my Allparts neck from eBay. They run about $127 shopped for a TRO-C, and $140 for the TRO-Fat. I’ll probably go for the fat one. I should be able to order that in the next week or so. I figure if I get the neck first, I can do the level and crowning, along with the tru-oil treatment. On the other hand, if I find a body I could prep that. Unfortunately, I’ll only be able to get the neck or the body until the guitar I listed on eBay sells. I’ve got some looking to do.

6. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Here are some bodies I found on eBay in the $100 or less range.

IMG_4833.JPG
    This is a one piece mahogany. I know mahogany offers a different tonal character than what may be traditional, but I’m ok with that.
    IMG_4835.JPG
    These are three piece ash
    IMG_4836.JPG
    This is from Eden. I believe it’s ash also
    IMG_4837.JPG
    This is ash or alder (I forget), and I’d need to drill some holes and open up the bridge pickup rout to accept a traditional Tele bridge pickup.

7. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    From the pix I looked at, the jack hole is off center. The little radius by the neck looks greater than .5" dia. There's a check inside the neck cavity which to me looks like it has been sanded undersize near the cutaway.

9. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    Ok, I’ll keep looking. Thank you!

10. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

12. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I don’t mind visual imperfections at all..... I just want things to fit right and have the neck align properly.

13. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I just went ahead and ordered it.... hoping for the best!

14. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    It looks more like an opaque desert sand than butterscotch to me. I’m hoping it is close to the color I see.

15. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    My body should be here on Wednesday this week. I’ll post pics when it arrives. I’ve been Unable to sell my Jackson Dinky (that was funding this project), so I’m going to build a neck. Won’t be much cheaper than the $130 for the allparts neck, but I can spend it in stages. I’m Still mulling it over though.

16. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I already have a truss rod, but would need to buy frets, maple stock (big box lumber store), and a slotted/ radiused fretboard (stew Mac).

I can do the construction, and have the tools I’d need, unless I need a special hammer for seating the frets. I think a small dead blow would do it though. Am I missing something big?

17. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    My body arrived today, with a shipping bruise on the butt end, paint is thick and chipped through to the wood. I’m not too stressed though.... these sorts of things don’t bother me too much I guess. The body weighs 4 lbs 13 oz, and looks really good to me (aside from the paint chip).

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Hmm. I have a similar dent and chip..... I sent an email suggesting they double box or at least put in more packing.

19. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    The resort of the parts should be here in a week.... minus the neck. Still don’t have a neck. Here’s the body shots:
    IMG_4876.JPG IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4878.JPG IMG_4879.JPG

20. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Ouch! Frankly, I'd be complaining like hell and sending that back!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.