Places you know you'll dislike but have a weird urge to visit?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

At first I thought there’s no such place for me, but then right away up comes Las Vegas, which fits the thread criteria pretty well. I’d be interested in seeing it, but pretty sure it would mostly revolt me.

stnmtthw and drf64 like this.
  2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Nope.
    None of it, never.

If I dislike a place, I don't go there.

If I think I'm going to dislike a place, I definitely don't go there.

I'm a homebody, I reckon.

:(

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've seen people transformed by a place, in six months....sometimes much less. Some people are basically ruined through moving to the wrong place - or even visiting there. So, in a way it isn't bashing the people but bashing the place that makes them so.

I seem to have an internal circuit that keeps me away from places I seriously won't like. I go places imagining I won't like it, but eventually I get to feeling better. Central Florida. The Washington DC area. Right now I'm working on the Memphis area and this is the toughest nut by far. People can be so polite to one another, and there's friendship, but the place breeds lack of self confidence in its citizens and on weekends when I am here we get in the car and get away from Memphis; any direction is good.

I have no urge to visit Las Vegas but you see, it is in the way. I have friends nearby, I have my girlfriend fly into there and I pick her up at the airport and we scram. I'm in fear of seeing more of these street zombies who wander around at midday in the very hottest months and their brains are beyond well done - I wanna know how we let people be cooked before our eyes. I can't stand it. But you'll see me motor through on I-15 because I have places to go, either side of the place. If I ever fly in again to McCarran, it will be November to March only.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

S.E. Asia. I think I'd have a good time, but it's too tropical. I don't think I could handle it at this point in my life. I think India would be interesting, too, but the masses would overwhelm me.

koen likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Havana.
    Mostly for historic reasons but I don't know how much of that is still left.

Key West for much the same reason.

I'd also like to be able to back to some of the Mexico border towns which were my playground back in my 20s but that isn't possoble anymore.

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Wow, that's really sad! I have only been to Egypt and Armenia out of the Middle east. I found them to be two of the coolest most interesting places I have ever been, and the people warm and wonderful, for the most part, and have been dreaming of going back to that part of the world for the last few years. I ate lunch at the KFC in Tahrir Square about a month after the big 2012 protests just to say I did it. Troubled places in many ways, but the USA ain't 'zactly perfect neither.

The OP post only kinda makes sense to me. I know that I want to go to India and I know that in some ways I will hate it, same with Peru and Ecuador but I still want to go. I would like to go back to South Korea some day (lived there 20 years ago) and I'm sure I wouldn't love it, so maybe I do get it.

Most of the places people are naming are places I've lived. NY, SF, LA.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Sad indeed.

And I get what the OP is asking. For me, it used to be the South. And then I grew up and went to the South and loved it. For a while it was Turkey and often times its Mexico. And I'd be half worried that I'd go to a place like Algiers or Mali or Egypt and absolutely love it and never want to leave.

8. Redheadlvr

Redheadlvr TDPRI Member

Ohio, LA, and France (with the exception of warching or driving in a 24 Houres du mans race).

9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

To chime back in....

Had a friend who had "a sick fascination" with my old hometown of Buffalo. She was from the Middle East and had never been in a snowy place, or the Rust Belt. Kept asking me about it, and was almost ready to just go and get it out of her system. Then she had to go up there for a conference, and declared that she "hated" it. So much gray sky, "gray faces," "gloom," etc. Then a snowstorm stranded her there.

Whereupon she "fell in love" with it. Sent me picture after picture of her playing in the snow, the big old houses "like wedding cakes" under the snow drifts, told me all about her doing the Survive the Winter gluttonizing on all the good food up there--the Greek and Italian and Polish stuff, and, of course, the wings. She had the chance to stay another two weeks to train some people, and gladly took it.

Five or six days after that, she was begging her employers to send her back to Tampa. "Forever." "After the fun wore off, I felt like I was in a prison of grayness. And I was getting fat."

I dreaded visiting my brother in grad school in Detroit, but then loved being there. Such a pained and painful place, but so freakin' dramatic, too. The epitome of poignant (and infuriating, and tragic, and....). A hundred stories everywhere you could bear to look. Went back many times to go Tiger Stadium, which was the perfect structure. Now, with Tiger Stadium gone, and downtown being force-fed "revival," I do and don't want to go back, as the city's implosion both fascinates and horrifies me. FW(hatever)IW.

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Well said.

I think the thing that piques my interest in the places I've mentioned is Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods. Used to love that show.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

when I was younger Papua New Guinea , the Yukon is gorgeous, Tonga would be nice , Bali, New zealand, Australia, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, parts of England., the rest of the planet is a little too wierd right now, and I dislike living in hotel rooms.

12. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I love traveling. Are there places i want to go that I know I shouldn’t? No. I avoid places I shouldn’t go.

San Fran and the bay are lovely. NYC is neat!

13. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Bobs Country Bunker.

nvilletele likes this.
  14. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

The pyramids in Egypt. I've seen the pictures and footage my whole life, my parents went to the King Tut exhibit back in the 70's, and friends have gone to them on their travels. It's not that they wouldn't be incredible to see, it's that I'd have to endure the traveling and conditions that wouldn't be worth it. I just know it.

Sort of like the Grand Canyon. "Hey, look at that, it's really big!". And then I'd want to go home.

Jupiter likes this.
  15. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

There were some women backpackers recently killed in Morocco. And besides that, it seems like a tourist trap with lots of people whose job is to ask tourists to buy stupid things.

Jordan doesn't seem like it would be dangerous, although not many reasons to go there. Lebanon might be interesting, although not 100% safe.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

New York City.
    I hate big cities.
    Last time I was in Bangkok population was 16 million and , although they have freeways there, took
    1 1/2 hours to get out of there ( i believe it's 24 million now). Kuala Lumpur and Singapore are similar. I guess it's cause I like greenery, trees and open spaces not concrete jungle cities.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I recommend Se Asia as the food is healthy and unbelievably good- from Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia. So too are the curries in India. All beautiful places and gentle people.

Paul in Colorado and BigDaddyLH like this.
  18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Looking on a map and Jedburgh is only just in Scotland, it’s in the Scottish Borders and near a national park ( although U.K. national parks are puny compared to US ones) and near Northumbria which is a beautiful area for old castles and rugged coastlines.
    Bradninch also near countryside and the coast.
    Very boring 400 mile* drive between them if you did it in one visit ( although about half way you would pass by where I live so pop in for a cup of tea)but they would be nice places to be based to explore the local areas.

* that’s a British 400 mile drive so much slower than an American 400 mile drive.

19. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

[ double post ]

20. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve been to Jedburgh and found it to be a lovely place. My family attended a destination wedding at an old castle near there. We had lunch at a cafe there, which was one of the least expensive meals (including haggis) that we had in the U.K. We enjoyed looking at the river and the ruined abbey. At the behest of my geologist son, we also climbed down the cliff nearby to see the Hutton Unconformity, on the North Sea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.