Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Places you know you'll dislike but have a weird urge to visit?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Jan 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Yes it has improved a lot during the last decade and is not anymore just the poor and mediocre copy of the middle Eastern dishes it once was.

Nickadermis likes this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I would love to see the Pyramids and the Sphinx, but I imagine the experience could be a bit of an anticlimax, due to the proximity of the site to gritty aspects of modern civilization.

JayFreddy and GuitarKid like this.
  3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    stay on the couch. i've got a tv, it'll sort everything out for me.

GuitarKid likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    With you on LA. Eventually did visit. Bad as I thought it woukd be, stayed 1 1/2 days and had to get out. Anywhere else I think I won’t like I won’t go just to see if I’m right!

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    New York, Philly and Jersey yes, found a lot of folks as you describe. Boston, not so, speak as you find but I found it a friendly place with lots of helpful, smiley, genuine people.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Uh-oh.

As the OP, I don't presume to be policing this thread.

But it's not about people-bashing. I hope we can all agree that wherever we go, there are gonna be good, bad, and in-between people. And it's not about what places you don't like, or so dislike you wouldn't visit/re-visit.

I was asking about places that go against our grain but DO intrigue us. Not about objectionable people per se, much less stereotypes based on very small sampling data. Lots of great people live in/are from Boston, Philly, NJ, L.A.--and Lost Nation, Iowa; Dogtown, Alabama; Experiment, Georgia; and even NYC, NY.

My question is what places intrigue you despite/because they go against your grain, as far as you know?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 7:19 PM
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    North Dakota. I’ve been to the other 49. North Dakota has only been a fly over. I can’t imagine what I’d do there on the ground.

9. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Don’t do it!

10. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Haiphong

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 7:27 PM
  11. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2018
    San Bruno, CA
    I used to travel a fair amount as part of my job, always to commercial printers, and most of them were in the midwest or the south. Usually either rural or industrial areas, and I loved every bit of it. Something about driving around in a rental car in the middle of god knows where and looking for interesting things to do while I waited for print jobs to happen is really fascinating to me.

Sometimes you find nothing to do but wander around Walmart, sometimes you wander into the only music store in a small town and get to watch the most amazing bluegrass jam you've ever seen.

12. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2018
    San Bruno, CA
    A friend of mine is teaching english in Saudi Arabia right now, and she's also writing about her experiences there and its fascinating. There's so much more to these places than what we see on the news.

JuneauMike likes this.
  13. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Seattle (too rainy), San Francisco (too strange), Portland OR (too many hipsters and craft breweries- been sober 10 years), Pittsburgh (too many Steelers fans and always on wrong side of a river- I've been), Detroit (too many shuttered factories, and Detroit) and Auschitz (too much genocide).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 8:03 PM
  14. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast
    My ex wife's...

kitchen.

it was beautifully remodeled.

if we're talking about traveling - Iran.
    I'd love to snowboard in Iran.

Harry Styron and JuneauMike like this.
  15. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2018
    Lake Balboa CA
    It's all about weather/climate for me. I don't want to visit colder places in the Winter or hotter places in the Summer. Most of the year it's pretty pleasant, weather wise, where I live. I have a home garden and small orchard, and couldn't imagine having it any better. It's not Shangra-La, but it's pretty sweet.

Edit: I'd probably enjoy visiting just about anywhere off-season.

16. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    There isn't. We drink a lot. And work.

17. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I have been to Dubai 8 times and Bahrain once. If you go, don’t go in the summer. 125 during the day and 50 at night is brutal.

18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I understand all the rest of these, but Auschwitz is supposed to be nice these days. There's a cafe and coffee shop and Krakow is just down the road. Who wouldn't want to visit Krakow?

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    The UK, in particular Jedburgh, Scotland and Bradninch, Devon where my ancestors were from. However, it would involve flying, which I hate, and it would most likely be not that interesting or exciting once I got there. I guess there were reasons my troublemaking ancestors decided to leave (fled?) there after all.

Anybody here live in those areas? Any reason I should or should not visit there?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.