Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Places you know you'll dislike but have a weird urge to visit?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Jan 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    For me, Los Angeles.

Why? All those daily "Wild police chase" video clips when I click on YouTube. It seems so nicely sunny at the corner of Fountain and Normandie. At the corner of Normandie and Franklin. At the corner of Oil Stain and Concrete. And L.A. seems to do a fine job cleaning up the glittered taillights and helicoptered bumpers, even if the black & whites are slow on the PIT maneuver. Plus, if we're gonna commit a continent to the automobile and shopping, why not go all the way and be (in) L.A.? And its near-constant cloudless sunshine would itself seem like a purchased commodity or an artifice of human vanity, and I'd like to experience that, (old) child of the Great Lakes' Reign Over All Nearby that I am. The Scour of Babel, and all that.

So, how about you? Any place that goes much against your grain, but you have a perhaps-sick urge to experience? (Gatlinburg, TN, doesn't count. You KNOW you love deep-fried peanut brittle.)

Gotta add, all of L.A.'s 'Teens and '20s-era Craftsman homes really are quite beautiful. I would much love to stroll (safe parts of) such neighborhoods under an unreal sun....and to see where "Highway Patrol" was filmed. Craftsman-Home-Los-Angeles-Estate.jpg

EDIT: This thread is not about people-bashing. I hope we can all agree that wherever we go, there are gonna be good, bad, and in-between people. And it's not about what places you don't like, or so dislike you wouldn't visit/re-visit.

This is about places that we assume will go against our grain but DO intrigue us. So what places intrigue you despite/because they go against your grain?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    skunqesh and jaybones like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I got taken to Las Vegas and it really wasn't my thing, but I can't say I ever had the urge to visit.

I got nothing. I try to avoid places I dislike.

3. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    New York and San Francisco.

LGOberean and nojazzhere like this.
  4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Go on.

getbent likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    God Gave Rock and Roll To You.......Argent.

getbent likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    It's obvious you've never been here, if that's what you think it's like!

bluesky1963, ifallalot and dented like this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
  9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Isn't that the premise of the thread? I mean, he's not asking for "Places you've visited before and now you dislike but you want to go back."

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    Whoops. Removed because it bothered some people. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 9:16 PM
    Paul in Colorado and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
  12. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I have no urge to visit Saudi Arabia or the Emirates.

I'm sure Syria and Yemen are really interesting, but right now does not seem like a good idea to visit either.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    For the most part I have no wish to go anywhere.

It'd be nice to visit the Grand Canyon, i guess

24 track likes this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

no.

I don't know any place that I know I'll dislike but want to visit. I know places (from experience) that I do not like, but I would not have any urge to go there.
    I'd note that he was outraged, but.. you weren't... they get outraged over stuff that... he wait, we have to pay attention to the thread?

JuneauMike likes this.
  15. Dismalhead

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    "Why'o, why'o, why'o, did I ever leave Ohio?" Frankie Avalon in Back to the Beach

When I was in the Army back in the early '80s, about half the people seemed to come from Ohio. I always figured there must not be much to do there.

3fngrs likes this.
  16. Dismalhead

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    Awesome for history, but yeah, doesn't seem very safe. Egypt too since the Arab Spring.

dented and JuneauMike like this.
  17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I've never heard anything but glowing remarks about Cleveland. Just sayin'

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

speaking of glowing, how about that river????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.