Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Placement of boost pedal on pedal board?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jonkay1, Jun 8, 2012.

1. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

I am using an RC pedal as well as the LPB1. Should these be placed before or after the overdrive and distortion pedals?

2. New2Teles

New2Teles TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Essex/London, UK
    Depends what you want them to achieve - if you want to stack them with your OD's and Distortions for more gain, put them before. If you want a volume boost, put them after.

3. Magnawolf

Magnawolf Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2009
    California
    This. Best advice is to just experiment and try it out for yourself!

4. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

I usually leave the RC boost pedal on all the time at a lower gain setting to give my clean sounds some extra punch. I have it after the overdrive and distortion pedals, but I was wondering if there was a popular consensus about where the boost pedal should be located. I'm thinking that the extra signal from the boost pedal going into overdrive or distortion might not be a good thing.

5. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I say, experiment away!!!

An LPB-1 is not exactly the cleanest of boost pedals, the original idea behind the pedal was to overdrive the bejesus out of the first stage of a tube amp... I personally LIKE my boost at the front of the chain, kicking the pants on my overdrives (TS-5, Dano cool Cat Drive, vintage RAT). I don't have my drives set very high, so using my boost gives me more drive without (usually, anyways) losing note definition... it's worth a try, at least, and you're not going to hurt your pedals!!!

Franc Robert

6. andyjingram

andyjingram TDPRI Member

May 14, 2012
    South England
    If it is always on for more 'punch' at low gain then after drive is probably going to achieve what you're after. A drive pedal 'breaks up' dependant on how much signal goes into it (hence higher output pickups for stronger distortion), so a boost before the dirt pedals will cause them to be more distorted for any given setting.

But as always, try them both- its just a quick fumble with a couple of patch cords away!

7. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2008
    Okinawa, Japan
    I agree, mine is after my my OD pedals.

8. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I use a Boss Ce-3 FOR LEAD BOOSTS...SO IT GOES AFTER THE OVERDRIVE. wORKS VERY WELL AS A BOOST PEDAL i MIGHT ADD.
    Sorry for the caps...too lazy to change it.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    If there is one thing to be learned online, its that there is not a consensus on anything.

So, the RC is on all the time for light dirt. If you put a dirt pedal in front of it, you are going to get a gain boost. If you it afterward, you will be bumping up the volume plus adding whatever gain you have set. In the latter case, if you use a clean boost after the RC, you will just get more volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.