PitBull Thinline

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Kid Telecaster, May 26, 2019.

1. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

IMG_5178.JPG
    Just bought this guitar secondhand mainly because I love the colour, sea foam green and it's a thinline, nice and light. Neck is Ok, smooth, good intonation, pots are a bit iffy but work.
    I was going to mod it, humbucker the bridge p/u, locking tuners, upgrade neck p/u, pots BUT I play it and it sounds sort of ok THEN I play my Squier CV or Fender American Standard and think, maybe I'm trying to get a silk purse out of a pigs ear here. I could easily spend $500 on something that cost a couple of hundred and still just have a nice looking so so playing guitar.
    Maybe I shud just keep it as is wall art and a homage to The Great Leo.
    Thoughts?

Piggy Stu, Matthias and Random1643 like this.
  2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I've always wanted to get one and build a tele from their parts, but after some thinking, and playing one of me mates' "living room" noodler, I thought, Id rather spend my money on Squier Standards/Classic Vibes, or even all parts guitar parts rather than spend more on these... they're decent, but Id pay more for a Harley Benton.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. Kid Telecaster

Tend to agree, the CVs are great guitars, the tone on mine is superior to my Fender but it is a very heavy guitar at 4.2 kg. I guess lighteeight noodler guitar that lives on my lounge room wall is where this one is headed.
    Might just add my suspicion that this one wasn't a kit build but came assembled from the manufacturer, but it is just the sum of the parts in their kits.

4. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Kits of this level aren’t much more than an expensive craft project in my experience. The parts plus mods just aren’t good enough to make a player that’s equal to the value of a similarly priced guitar off the rack. If you build the kit stock, you can often get a better, factory assembled guitar for the price of the kit + paint + sandpaper, etc. Sometimes the same guitar from the same company! I think the Pitbulls have a better rep than most. A lot of happy customers who have put a lot of work in.

Having said that, it sounds like the issues with this are mainly electronics and pickups. Stick some Toneriders in and better pots, you’re sorted for nearer $100. Plastic coated wire is fine, any cap of the right value is fine. A proper lever switch is nice but does it need to be Oak Grigsby? If the tuners could be better, lots of good unbranded options, but do they need to lock? You might have a better guitar for $150... Although if you resold it I doubt you’d get a penny back on that.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Kid Telecaster likes this.
  5. Kid Telecaster

Thx Matthias, I think I'll draw up a parts list (forget the humbucker) with new pups and pots at the top and so on, then price it on eBay working to a maximum budget of say $150. I think the p/ups are the priority, so I agree, upgrade those from the factory budget issue and the guitar would be much improved.

Matthias likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

Kid Telecaster likes this.
  7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

As you say, there is a good chance here that you will spend a slice of cash on something pointless, with nothing valuable to show at the end of it but the memory of doing the work

But isn't that like a birthday party, or beery evening, or holiday? Are they all pointless?

As per above, it is a craft project. Take the journey if you will enjoy it, and don't worry about the final cash value

I myself prefer to buy something used, undervalued for it being out of spec, and then fix a backbow/file some frets/whatever, and have both a fun journey as well as a profit on the value I create

exliontamer and Kid Telecaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.