Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Pink paisley!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TCB_14, Jun 18, 2017.

1. TCB_14

TCB_14 TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Louisiana
    Hi guys. New here, kinda. I've been stalking the page for a while and read just about every paisley post. Well I recently sold a guitar so I can finally get my favorites guitar. I'm here for a few questions and general help. I can buy the new 2016 pink paisley or I can buy the all parts body and build my own. I want something that looks good and plays good. I learned on this site the all parts is a lot more similar to the original than the modern reissues. I also found a fender 69 reissue neck and a few correct parts like the f plate and tuners. So should I build one or just buy the reissue? Thanks!

2. JORear

JORear TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    A build would be fun, but the question would be "are you capable"? If you can answer yes, then why not? Have so have some fun with a project. I would recommend to start on a small inexpensive project first, then move up.

tonytrout and jimmyjames74 like this.
  3. TinCanRunts

TinCanRunts TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Canada
    The most recent reissue (2016) for both the paisley and blue flower falls short in terms of matching up with the physicallities of the older reissues. The flowers/paisley is less evident and doesn't cover much guitar on the 2016s... I'm "patiently" waiting to find an older reissue of the blue flower.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jimmyjames74

jimmyjames74 TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2017
    London
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy, and welcome!
    I'd build one.
    You have way more control over specifics if you build.
    Conversely, it's way more expensive, and way more work.
    Good luck!

7. TCB_14

TCB_14 TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Louisiana
    I guess my main question is if I built the guitar with all fender genuine parts except for the body, and have it professionally set up, will it sound just as good as a Fender? My budget is right around $1000 so for the guitar is at around $850 not including the pickups. So once I add the pick ups it will be right around the fender reissue price of $999

tonytrout likes this.
  8. TCB_14

TCB_14 TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Louisiana
    I also found a 86 fender at a local shop.

9. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    For what it's worth I have an '86 reissue and it's an excellent guitar. People tend to knock the Made In Japan pickups of the era but mine sounds great and looks great also. However, it's NOT a faithful reissue if you care about that sort of thing. Vintage-style instead of F-style tuners, thinner neck, flat-pole treble pickup, the bridge plate has a taller rim than standard and there are other details that deviate from vintage spec. But it's a fantastic player and that's what I care about!

Clifton C and maggieo like this.
  10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    On one hand, if you build or have one built, even with Fender parts, you better like it because you will take a big hit if you sell it. On the other hand, if you wisely buy a used paisley, you should be able to sell it for what you paid or perhaps more.

maloburro and maggieo like this.
  11. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    There's a 94 on eBay right now for 750.

How much for the local 86 you found?

12. TCB_14

TCB_14 TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Louisiana
    Local is $1200. I just don't like how bubble gum pink the fenders are. That's why I like the all parts body.

13. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    I can respect that. In certain light it does look red and the wallpaper looks gold. At least mine does. I agree the burst on the 2016 looks worse than previous reissues. In fact I can pretty much agree with everything said above.

The MIJ should be easier to resell but there seems to be a big market for paisley bodies as well.

Somewhat off topic but for some reason I really love those custom shop relics painted over paisley bodies.

14. samuelmorrissey

samuelmorrissey TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    I'd be very interested in building my own. but if I had the money and one came up on this side of the pond I'd definitely go for it.

I'd love to build my own but that paisley paper is like hens teeth / rocking horse sh*t / golden eggs / any other non-existent object. So I'm probably gonna hit a fabric shop or art and craft shop to find a different paisley design and make my own twist on it.

Nothings decided on this though. It's in the pre-pre-pre-planning stage as I'm nearly finished my current Tele re-build so that will most definiely keep me entertained for a while!

Let us know how your purchase or build go, whatever you decide to do! :)

S

15. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    I've come to the point of hating the Fender RI paisleys no matter what year - because, as has been mentioned, they're too "Barbie-pink" for my liking. I'd rather have someone build me an AllParts paisley Tele - that way it would look more like the original paisley Telecasters from '68-69.

BTW, TDPRI member "Fred_Dairy" had a couple of those AllParts paisleys built. Not sure if he still comes around but he got one of those two guitars built for around $1,500.

Clifton C likes this.
  16. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
  17. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Almost ordered a guitar from them months ago. They're Chinese copies built to their specs and setup and assembled in the US. Not a bad deal. Slap some saddles, Pickups, and maybe electronics or a new nut on there, and you'd be good as golden.

MIJ would hold value better though.

tonytrout likes this.
  18. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    Good Lord, how ugly!!! That doesn't even resemble an AllParts or paisley - period!! To me, it just looks like a red guitar with just a few paisley patterns on it.

19. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I still got one of them!
    [​IMG]

Clifton C and tonytrout like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.