Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pink Floyd exhibition

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by GuyR, May 31, 2017.

1. GuyR

GuyR TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    London
    I thought members might be interested to see images of two of David Gilmour's telecasters on display at the V&A in London at the excellent Pink Floyd retrospective.

[​IMG]

First his 55 Esquire, purchased from Seymour Duncan and with Strat pickup added, as used on the wall and many other recordings and gigs. Due to its worn exterior, David Gilmour named it "the Workmate", after the popular DIY workbench.

[​IMG]

Second a rather appealing 62 custom Telecaster used on the British tour of 1974.

For anyone in London, a visit is very much recommended. The displays contain all the iconic instruments.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Is the Black Strat there?
    Not that i could go anyway. ..

lycheelassi likes this.

3. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

Many thanks for sharing. Must plan a "me" day and get to it. That's the great thing about being in London. Suddenly freed up for an afternoon I can go to something as cool as this.

That is a sweet 62.

lycheelassi likes this.

4. GuyR

GuyR TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    London
    Black strat is there. Hopefully this picture is not against the tele-only rules
    [​IMG]

netgear69, 24 track and rze99 like this.

5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I am a Pink Floyd fanatic , I have one regret they I never got to work the floyd concerts set ups, But I did know Nick Mason's Drum tech and He sent me a DVD of the behind the scenes Delicate sound of thunder tour. If you have more pics please post them .
    I do have one of dave gilmours guitar picks, the middle pick is Daves from "On an Island" tour

P1011630.JPG

7. GuyR

GuyR TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    London
    I have posted some more images in the Stratocaster section

24 track likes this.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I love that 55 Esquire with the SD Strat p/up.
    Check out " Don't" an Elvis song where Gilmour shreds a melodic solo.
    Maybe a combination of a Fender bridge pu and a Strat neck pu is a way to go. That's not the first time I've heard of that.

9. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Thanks for the pictures. I've seen a picture from the exhibition showing what seemed to be an early 60's Esquire with a sort of circles pattern on a blue finish. Did you see it?

10. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    I'm going to be in town shortly, thanks for the heads-up. I look forward to visiting if it's still on—when does the exhibit end?

Do they have much from the Syd Barrett era?

11. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    Mostly posters and some interesting film footage. I guess none of his guitars survive, since all they had was a repro of his Tele. They very much glossed over Syd's troubles, referring to his leaving the band due to the "pressures of stardom"!?! Also referring to Richard Wright "quitting the band" for several years, so there was a fair bit of tiptoeing around certain topics. Great show, though, and, IMO, not to be missed. The "concert" at the end is great fun and the sound was excellent.

Gibson likes this.

12. GuyR

GuyR TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    London
    Yes - it's a reproduction of the Syd tele. In the spirit of the show not a bad exhibit, who knows where the real thing is?

13. GuyR

GuyR TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    London
    On till October 1st. I'd leave it a while and go early in the day as it was so busy it made some of the exhibits difficult to get a good look at.
    Dark waters has summarised the Syd aspect of the show pretty accurately. There was a good lot of interview footage of the band members. The footage of David Gilmour demonstrating the guitars in the exhibition at Abbey Road was worth the admission fee on its own. Good display of Roger Waters' basses also.

darkwaters and Gibson like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.