Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pinecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crazy_aussie, Mar 19, 2018.

1. crazy_aussie

crazy_aussie Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    I think BWB. Plan is for the body to be pearlescent black so I'm thinking anything other than black might detract from that. Any thoughts out there?

2. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    That's a good, classic, clean look.

But with black you can get crazy and do anything.

White, mirror, paisley....

3. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    OK, chose a GM colour called Panther Mica - a metallic black. Will shoot a couple of coats over the next few days to see how it comes up. Also bit the bullet and ordered a BWB pick guard. Now I'm in 2 minds about the Bigsby....do I really want/need it???

4. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    3 coats of GM Panther Black Mica now on the body...I'm pretty happy with the way this is coming up. There is a slight green tinge to the colour in some light angles which reminds me a lot of the colour on a Jeep Grand Cherokee I used to own, that colour was called Black Forest Green.

Contrary to what some people say, I did actually sand between each coat with 600g wet and dry. I know some argue you shouldn't/don't need to do this but I want this surface to be as flat as possible before shooting the clear. The result so far is OK....

So now I'll leave it for 48 hours (as per manufacturers specs) before shooting the first of many coats of clear. I'm using the same brand of clear enamel as the colour coat (Duplicolour) 'cause I've had problems in the past with strange reactions of clear coat with different substrates. 3 coats.jpg

Barncaster and Macrogats like this.

5. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    I've also had a change of heart about the pickups. I used to own a Gretsch archtop that had De Armond pickups in it and I regret to this day selling that guitar....wonderful sound. Sooooo, I've ordered some TV Jones T-Armond's with silver surrounds that will fit the pick guard that's on its way.

However, I'm still in a number of minds about a bridge and whether or not to fit a Bigsby. Any thoughts/experiences out there?

Barncaster likes this.

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    That looks really good - I can see the hint of green on the body edge.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    cool color!

brookdalebill likes this.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Indeed!

9. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee

10. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Thanks, appreciated.

11. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    Very nice color!!!

As far as the bigsby goes, do you play any type of music that might benefit from the bigsby? If so, how big of a part is that of your repertoire? There are a very few songs I could use a bigsby on but I have found other ways to simulate the vibrato sound such as bending the strings behind the nut while holding chords and using finger vibrato.

A bigsby will introduce some bits of complexity such as difficult string changes, possible tuning issues, extra expense, etc.

Consider as many factors as you can before making the jump to a bigsby. perhaps you don't really need one or perhaps it is something worthwhile. Only you can make that decision.

12. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah, me too. Looks bloody awesome!!

I'm interested to see if you go with the Bigsby. I'm thinking of grabbing one on sale here atm for a decent price for a future project.

13. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Made a decision about bridge/Bigsby. I've got a shorty top loader bridge (Wilkinson) in my spares box so am going to use that and for the meantime, no Bigsby. If I decide to add the Bigsby later I can notch out the back of the bridge, kinda like this......

Modified bridge.jpg

Barncaster likes this.

14. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Been spraying clear on this thing for what seems like ages.....:cool: Anyhow, I'm now happy with the finish. Just waiting the usual 7-10 days (weather dependent) till final 1000/1500/2000 sanding and polishing. In the meantime I've shielded all the cavities. Since the photo I've also soldered a lead to the shield that'll be connected to ground. Am planning on also shielding the T-Armonds when they arrive (today!).

Tele shielded.jpg

Zepfan, Macrogats, Barncaster and 2 others like this.

15. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Getting near the end now. The T-Armond pickups arrived today and I must say the quality of manufacture is right up there with TV Jones usual high standard. So I've loaded the pickguard as you'll see in photo 1 below.

One slight change of plan though. I was going to shield the pups myself but the way they've been made it already done! See picture 2. Just waiting for the clear coat to harden so I can give it a final fine sand/polish then assemble this thing and see if it sounds as good as I hope it will!! tele pickguard front.jpg tele pickguard back.jpg

Zepfan and Ekko like this.

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Definitely use some of that copper tape on the underside of that huge pickguard to ground it or you’re going to hear the static noises through your amp. I usually run a tab out of the pup cavity to a screw hole and a similar tab is done on the pickguard so they mate when the pickguard is screwed down and connection is made.

I listened to those pups on YT. They sound really sweet. Are you going to give us a demo?
    Rob

17. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    OK, build is complete but I seem to have an electronics problem....no sound from either PUP. I've checked and rechecked the wiring and cant find any faults. I get the usual sound when plugging in the amp lead, indicating that at least an earth connection is made but nothing from either the neck of bridge pups. Only 2 possibilities I can think of - switch or jack. Changed out the jack and still no go so I'm presuming it'll be a dud switch. Ordered a new one today so I hope that fixes things. Any other ideas out there?

18. pictacado

pictacado Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Earth
    The switch is easy to test with a multi meter or bypass it by jumping the wires together.

Why don't you post a good close up detail picture or two of the wiring at the pots & switch.

Barncaster likes this.

19. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Well here's the finished product. I went through the wiring with a fine tooth comb and found a dud solder joint on the output jack. That fixed this thing is now alive! Beautiful tomes from the T-Armonds - I'll do a short recording and post it in the near future.
    Tele completed.jpg

Zepfan, Macrogats and Barncaster like this.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    @crazy_aussie welcome back. I too live in Adelaide and that is a mean guitar-could you start a conversation with me and let me know about those pickups? Tonetele:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.