Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pinecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crazy_aussie, Mar 19, 2018.

1. crazy_aussie

crazy_aussie Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Howdy all. Been a long time between drinks (a couple of years in fact) but I'm finally starting a new project. Body will be DAR pine sourced from Bunnings (big hardware chain here in Oz) which I'll laminate together using Gorilla grip glue. I've already got a maple neck from an old project so that'll get a new home on this project. Its a '72 Deluxe type build using TV Jones Powertrons, a Bigsby B5 and a roller bridge. The last build I did was a Tele with a strat tremolo which was a real PITA to get right so I hope the Bigsby will be a little easier. LOL. Finish will be pearlescent black with a black pick guard.

Pictures to come as the build starts/progresses.

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds good. Might want to use standard wood glue however. Gorilla glue tends to push parts away. If it's the same Gorilla glue used here in the states.

3. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    +1 on the wood glue.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    yep in a recent copy of one of the woodworking magazines they did a test on the most often used wood glues.... good old yellow Tightbond came out on top...

r

5. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Body blank.jpg

Here's the body blank after laminating and before levelling/thicknessing. Interesting comments about Gorilla glue - it looks and runs just like an other PVA glue. Maybe its a different product here in Oz?

6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Looking forward to seeing to pearl black paint. I've got a piney build going on (and on and on and on...) but not sure about the finish. Leave it raw, paint it, stain it or put 43 coats of Howard's Feed and Wax on it. Pearl black sounds intriguing

7. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2016
    Australia
    Hey Crazy, the Gorilla glue the guys are mentioning is a polyurethane glue( which you don't want to use),but here in Oz I think the brand also sells a pva. Love me a Bigsby, look forward to seeing your progress.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Love a good pinecaster!

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Titebond original is the go..... ;)

DSCN0830.JPG

10. betocool

betocool Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    Another aussie, yay! I was just strolling along Bunnings today getting clear spray for finishing a pickguard, and passed along the Interior Wood section. Pine and Jarrah were very well present, but I missed some better tassie oak pieces. They had them, but rather small...

My first Esquire was also made of pine. Same pieces you got.

Cheers,

Albert

11. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Thanks for all the comments about the glue. The one I got is definitely pva - looks, smells and runs very similar to the good old Aquadhere! A couple of years ago I made a Telecaster for my son out of pine I laminated up and also a Jazzmaster out of the same timber. On that occasion I used a different glue - a Sika product as I recall. Certainly wasn't a pva - it "foamed up" a little when applied and dried with a very strong bond. I used it on the recommendation of the yard that sold me the timber...... FWIW

12. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Polyurethane glues foam up. Especially if there's any moisture. Many PVAs remain a little rubbery. That old Titebond seems to be a guitar builders' favorite.

13. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    I just use the parfix 4l from bunnings, dries clear and really solid

It’s about $22 and I put it into sauce bottles

14. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    yeah, they make a standard wood glue that works great.

Most people think of the expanding foam stuff in the U.S. but they sell both here.

This is the Polyurethane one:

upload_2018-3-23_12-7-18.png

And this is the regular wood glue:
    upload_2018-3-23_12-8-1.png

15. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    Yeah, that's the one....the standard PVA wood glue. Anyhow, here's the body fresh from the ROSS ans the planing jig. If you look hard you'll see a few pencil marks I've drawn around areas that I'm not yet happy with - small machining marks that still need to be sanded completely smooth.

No work on this project for a little while though - I'm of to Bluesfest at Byron Bay tomorrow for 5 days of music and fun!

Tele_shaped.jpg

mrz80 and darkforce like this.
  16. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    OK, onward.....

As any of you who have worked with pine will know, its VERY easy to damage because its so soft. A little trick I came up with was applying a couple of coats of sanding sealer to the back after it was sanded flat and I did the edge rollover. Stops those annoying little nicks and bumps while I'm working on the front of the body.

So while the sanding sealer is drying, I got to work on the neck. As previously mentioned it was salvaged from an old project and is a one piece maple from Allparts. Its a thick neck which I like - my big hands feel kinda strange strangling a thin neck. Prep was simple - used a palm sander with 180 grit paper to get rid of the old finish and 360 grit to smooth it right out. I then gave it a couple of coats of spray poly and will now let it harden for a couple of weeks before finish sanding and polishing.

neck.jpg

17. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    OK, the sanding sealer on the back of the body is dry so I can start work on the routing. First I hogged out as much as I could safely do with my trusty forstner bits then went to work with the router and........disaster. Did I mention working with pine was difficult? As I was slowly and carefully routing out for the neck pickup, the router developed a mind of its own and took and almighty kick towards the neck pocket - which I had already finished. Result? It ate out the timber between the pickup route and the neck pocket and spread the three pieces all over the garage!!! Thankfully I found the missing pieces and was able to glue them back in place. This picture shows the result - you can see small irregularities at the end of the neck pocket, something I'll fix by sanding back to shape. A bit of a setback but then "No plan has ever survived the first contact with the enemy"......

hogged out body.jpg

PingGuo likes this.
  18. jmoore65

jmoore65 Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2007
    Oz
    I did a Tele body using pine from Bunnings 2 or 3 years ago. I bought the 3/4" boards (I think they call it 19mm) and used six of them - three on top of another three - so that the final total thickness was 1.5 inches, which I like. I used Aquadhere, I think. I managed to find a piece with a kind of quilted figure to it that looks nice stained and Tru-oiled.

crazy_aussie likes this.
  19. crazy_aussie

Mar 9, 2011
    Adelaide
    OK, got the rest of the routing done with no major problems. The odd niggle but thankfully they'll all be under the pickguard. Roundover also done so now onto sanding sealer and sanding, and sanding, and sanding....... Tele Deluxe routed.jpg

Tonetele and PingGuo like this.
  20. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    looking good!

What's the plan on the pickguard?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.