Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine-o-zemait-o-caster?!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by kkphoto, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Link seemed to work. Nice guitars.

Who on TDPRI knows how to set up the designs and etch aluminum? That would be a good thread like when the leather guitar strap was done.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    The engraving of Danny O'brian is fairly easy to copy. (Much that my respect is there).
    I can do leather, but I'll leave that to others.

kkphoto likes this.

3. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Great job KK. My only criticism so far is the screws for fixing the switches and the control panel and pick-guard to the body. I think it would look even better with silver countersunk screw heads all round, and if possible rout a small channel on the top of the control plate cavity to flush mount it to the body.

Now I'll have to check out the Op Shops for old silver trays. Damn!!!!;)

DC

kkphoto likes this.

4. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    It's actually an old catering tray from work that we don't use any more! Made of aluminum...

Zepfan likes this.

5. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Yep! I agree about the screws. Good idea!

6. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    IMG_5105.JPG IMG_5102.JPG IMG_5101.JPG IMG_5098.JPG IMG_5061.JPG Boy, what a wild weekend. Flew over to Maui and did a 23 mile outrigger canoe race to the island of Molokai. The channel was raging! One of the guys on our crew is a really good wood worker who restores koa canoes and I was telling him about my guitar build… And he said you want some GOOD wood? I can hook you up with some wood! Can't wait! I walked into the hotel room that our crew was sharing and found him looking at the counter in the bathroom. It was a beautifully figured light wood and I asked him what it was and he said macadamia! He says it's a super hard wood. Might make a beautiful neck down the line!

Oh, the crew that won the race shaved 20 minutes off the course record and beat us by an hour and a half! (In our defense they are a semi pro team and we were all *AT LEAST* 25 years older than those guys. I know… excuses, excuses!)

Anyway, after getting back to my island and collapsing for about five hours I decided to slap some strings on my build and check the neck and set the string height and intonation. Seems like I got pretty lucky with my cheap Chinese neck! No issues besides the high E at the nut. Now all that is left is to solder in the pick ups and finish the rest of the wiring. She plays pretty well unplugged so I'm optimistic.

7. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    IMG_5106.JPG This is off topic, but you guys might find it interesting. Don't have any pictures of our crew, but this is my buddy Rodrigo's mixed crew of men and women from Saturday's race. Epic day.

El Tele Lobo, Barncaster and Zepfan like this.

8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Aloha KK! I'm enjoying your project, it is coming out great. Unique, with the knotty black finish and engraved plates, but still a for-real Telecaster. I like the knobs, too. Mac-nut wood is nice; super tight grain, it should sustain like crazy.

Also, consider kauila, if you can get a body slab. I think it's one of the most beautiful of island woods. Hard to find though. Kiawe is also gorgeous, and not so precious.

El Tele Lobo, Barncaster and kkphoto like this.

9. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Kauila, huh? I'll have to do me some googling! Thanks!

Blue Bill likes this.

10. gigs

gigs TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2012
    pittsburgh, pa
    I like the guitar. Great job. Let's hear some clips.

11. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Thanks! Will do, once I get her wired up!

12. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Looks great--very cool project

kkphoto likes this.

13. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Ok! I got her wired up and have proof of life! I threw together a quick clip w a demo of some tones from Claudine. (just a little one chord shorty beat. Did it last night after I got home from work after 8 hours in the kitchen when I should’ve been showering and eating some dinner.)
    Have a lookieloo right here...

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Nice video, sounds great!!

kkphoto likes this.

15. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Thanks! I'm a crap player so recording helps... you only need to do it well one time!

16. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    That looks fantastic!

kkphoto likes this.

17. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Thanks Budda!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.