Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine-o-zemait-o-caster?!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by kkphoto, Sep 4, 2017.

1. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Hi you guys! Been lurking hardcore for a few months and soaking it all in. Started a build a month ago and wanted to wait till I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be a disaster. The idea is a cross between a pinecaster and Ronnie Wood's black Zemaitis. Started w 1x8 kiln dried boards from Home Despot as I could find flat, in cupped boards. Also my tools are pretty limited, a circular saw, drill, jigsaw, clamps. Glued the two top pieces and the two bottom pieces to each other, traced the design on the top and cut it out with the jigsaw. Used the drill for the round section of the routes, then cut the rest out with the jigsaw. Glued the top to the bottom together with my state of the art, truck tie, clamps, and vice grips rig, then used a forstner bit to get them to depth. Cut out the body with the jigsaw and used my orbital sander to square it off as best as possible and put a small round over on the top and bottom.

Once I had the body sanded down I used wood conditioner and stained it w ebony stain. (Gave my self headaches reading the finely finished forum...) Did 4 coats poly by hand, 3 thickish w my sprayer, sanded down to 1600 and now 4 w the spray can. I've got all the hardware and the neck is on the way.

Going w a cheap but highly regarded Giovanni GVH1 humbucker in the bridge and a standard tele neck pickup.

Going to try getting the Zemaitis look w a pickguard cut from an old engraved catering tray.
    IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4878.JPG IMG_4892.JPG IMG_4895.JPG IMG_4896.JPG IMG_4906.JPG IMG_4930.JPG IMG_4939.JPG IMG_4941.JPG IMG_4943.JPG

richa, fenderchamp, Daniel94 and 3 others like this.

2. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    IMG_4964.JPG IMG_4965.JPG Here are some pics of the stain, etc, plus the tray for the pickguard...

Attached Files:

RoyBGood, jvin248, richa and 9 others like this.

3. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Cool idea ,but before u start cuttin'make it an "esquire"

kkphoto likes this.

4. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Provided she comes out in some semblance of a playable condition she will be my first tele since I sold my all rosewood Japan Tele 20 years ago *LIKE A BIG DUMMY!!!!*

(That and my old Mesa Boogie MK 1 rattan front are the two that got away)

5. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    Nice!
    Im really liking the pick guard and control plate.

Barncaster, nojazzhere and kkphoto like this.

6. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Thanks, bit nervous about cutting them out. Might ask a friend who is LITERALLY a rocket scientist, although he prefers the term "rocket engineer", to help me with that part.

7. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Maybe it's the angle but that control plate sure looks skinny? Don't envy whoever has to cut the neck pickup hole in that metal guard. I'd be tempted to punch both ends with a chassis punch and just make two cuts to connect them.

8. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Friggin A. Nice one dude! A man after my own heart - simplicity works wonders. Can't wait to see it with the pick guard on.

What's for the neck, and how thick is the body?

kkphoto likes this.

9. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I'm really liking this so far, can't wait to see the pick guard done.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    This is cool. I've done a few Zemaitis tributes.
    I once did a Tele but with a round engraved pickguard, ala Ronnie's disk front. You might consider that before cutting.
    Gonna look great either way.

kkphoto likes this.

11. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    I have to re do that... I want to move it as well to pick up some more of the crosshatch design.

12. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Really, you got pics?! Would love to see that.

13. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    I got a maple neck coming... Also I just barely made it with the body thickness. A little shy of 2 inches. The control rout is super thin on the bottom! Was afraid I was going to go all the way through. If this goes well I will try to make a neck for her.

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Sorry, i can't post from my phone. I have pics on my Photobucket, if that's still an option.
    Look for freemasonmail@yahoo.com.
    Hopefully that will get you there.

kkphoto likes this.

15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Great ideas. Thanks!

kkphoto likes this.

16. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    A tele is only 1 3/4". Sounds like you might have more than made it. . Looking good though. I like how your finish is going.

kkphoto likes this.

17. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    I like it.

kkphoto likes this.

18. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    I'll look when I get off work. My phone is not cooperating.

19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    HD construction lumber isn't typically kiln dried to an acceptable level. I'd let it sit for a few weeks before doing anything with it.

Barncaster and kkphoto like this.

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Cool idea! Hard to cut that tray and have it lay flat, I'm thinking. But worth the effort for sure

fenderchamp and kkphoto like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.