Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine esquire thin-line with an all rosewood neck

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by joekumpan3, Jun 18, 2016.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I found the problem for the no front position of the switch. Swore was touching another so i rearranged the caps a little and it is fine now. I don't want to tape them because they look cool without it.

David_Maas likes this.

2. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Hey joe that's really lovely, and good to see it from the get go, liking that whole dark wood and gold thing you got going on, nice one mate!

3. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Thank you very much! I think it turned out nicely. The neck even though it's a bit thick feels really good unfinished. It sounds nice too I will try to get a good sound clip of it.

Lefty Addams likes this.

4. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I had some sun the other day I got a few pictures I will get some more though. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    The all rosewood neck has an excellent sustain to it. The pine thinline has a really nice woody sound and plugged in the flat top hand wound pickup and pio electronics sound very nice. Definitely a telecaster. It's got a hint of Gretch with a Les Paul-ish sustain. I'll get some sound clips soon.

Frito-Man likes this.

5. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

May 31, 2014
    austin

6. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Thank you very much. I am having fun playing it, it seems to be a good combination.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That, my friend, is an outstanding and beautiful piece of work. From the top of its hair to the tippy tips of its toes.

I'm waiting for parts to come in for my current partscaster project and want to do a custom pickguard, but it scares the hell out of me. Is that a 1-ply you used, and if so, did it involve beveling the edge?

8. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Well thank you very much! Pickguard a need not be scary. This is a single ply with no bevel which is simple to do and I really like the look of them. It's not totally necessary but making a paper or cardboard pickguard design first helps then you can transfer the shape. If you want multiply with a bevel it's a little more tricky. For that you can make a paper or cardboard pattern but then you have to make an mdf template for it by gluing it to it then trimming the excess off. If you don't have a spindle sander, robosander or disc sander use a block that will make the edges of the mdf template 90 degrees square. Trim the pickguard material to almost the size of the template and attack with double stick carpet tape. This gives you something to hold onto when using the router table. Trim off the excess with a flush trim bit on a router table then trim the outsides with a bevel router bit. I think the router is the only way to make the bevel look right I've tried scraping the edge before and it is tough to make it even. I think there are companies that will make them for you off of a pattern if you don't have the equipment. Good luck let me know how it goes and if you need help.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    image.jpeg Don't have the heavy equipment, and I can borrow/buy a Dremel.

In addition to my spastic craftsman skills, I don't think I'm going to be able to find single-ply aged pearloid, almost like a sand color.

With this surf green body, I thought that would match up really nice.

Above is the pattern I have in mind.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Don't want to hijack, but I'm going to give it a shot on the guard:

I ordered the aged Pearloid, and I have a spare guard to experiment cutting on first.

Here's the body, the one which stopped my wife talking to me for several days.

It was a wonderfully blissful and quiet several days.

image.jpeg

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think I figured out the idiot's way of doing this. No template needed.

New thread to come in HD, called "Idiot's Method (That''s Me!) For Custom Pickguard."

El Tele Lobo likes this.

12. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Excellent! Enginuity is what makes doing it yourself so satisfying. Put picks on when you are done.

13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Can't wait!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.