Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pine esquire thin-line with an all rosewood neck

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by joekumpan3, Jun 18, 2016.

1. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2014
    Potsdam, Germany
    Beautiful work, Joe!

2. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I don't think so, we don't have low humidity days in Hawaii.

3. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Thank you very much. I am getting impatient, I just want to throw it together and try it out!

4. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Thank you! I am having a lot of fun doing this one.

5. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I placed the control plate and tailpiece on the body to check the fit of the pickguard and it appears that the control cavity is about 1/4" too low. I'm going to trim this one but I may have to make another one. I'll try for a 1/8" gap. image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    The body looks good and I'm not going to polish it just going to leave it as is. Put some feurrels in and attached the bridge. The holes line up ok. I will now need to drill neck holes
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg .

7. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Just got done hand reaming the tuner bushing holes, not my favorite operation so far. After I make sure the frets are level and drill the mounting holes I am going to try this Behlen's fingerboard treatment on the whole neck, except the lacquered face of the headstock.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

8. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I trimmed the pickguard a little and there is a gap next to the tailpiece but it will work. image.jpeg
    I got this silly little neck plate it's kind of goofy but I like it. image.jpeg

oldgofaster likes this.

9. SlickT

SlickT TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Pulaski
    Looks great !!!!

10. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Thank you very much! I will try to get it finished soon.

11. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I marked the depth on the bit with blue tape, making sure it wouldn't come out the other side. It's good. image.jpeg
    I clamped the body and neck together and used a piece of thread to find the center all the way down to the bridge. image.jpeg
    I could only drill one hole with the clamp attached so I marked the other holes by tapping the bit with a small hammer, then I hand drilled the other three holes. The neck fits good and it seems like I will not need counterweight. image.jpeg
    This is a good picture of the actual color.

Frito-Man likes this.

12. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I marked the pickguard for holes and I will drill the control plate holes too while I am at it. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Almost there! I have to enlarge the tuner bushing holes some more. They are still tight and I don't want to split the headstock. Then I'll drill holes for mounting the tuners. Then take it all apart and oil the neck with that Behlen's rosewood oil. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Oh yeah got to make sure the frets are level too.

David_Maas likes this.

13. Ham and Eggs

Ham and Eggs Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2015
    Indianapolis

14. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Thank you! I really wanted to accuentate the neck and pine with each other. I think the gold makes a difference too it wouldn't be the same in chrome or nickel. Hope it sounds good and doesn't just look good.

15. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I drilled the mounting holes for the control plate and the pickguard holes straight through the pickguard and into the body. Countersunk the holes and added the screws. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I have to solder the pickup to the controls and add the jack socket and the body will be done.

16. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I wasn't sure if the frets had been leveled so I marked the tops with sharpie pen and lightly leveled them. It went pretty quick they must have been pretty close already so I recrowned them real quick and proceeded on. I wasn't too sure of the Behlen's fretboard oil because I have never used it so I tested on the bottom of the neck that would be in the pocket. image.jpeg
    Wow it really brings out the grain and makes the rosewood look great. I did the rest of the neck but not the fretboard. Here you can see the difference between the dry headstock and the rest of the neck. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    So the directions say coat well and if there are any dry areas in ten minuets then reapply then wait 30 minuets and buff lightly with a rag.

David_Maas likes this.

17. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Meanwhile I have to solder the pickup connection. I made sure to leave plenty of lead wire I seem to cut it too short a lot of times. image.jpeg
    I opted to not use a vintage style cup jack holder even though I think they are super cool. I am using one of these. image.jpeg
    The predrilled jack hole is at a bit of an angle so this doesn't fit completely flush but it isn't terrible, so I'll leave it. image.jpeg
    I added some strap buttons too. image.jpeg

18. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Here is the buffed neck. It has a much better look to it now. image.jpeg
    I did the same thing to the fretboard side and truthfully it looks better than the lacquered face of the headstock. I pressed in the tuner bushings. image.jpeg
    Put on the tuners and drilled mounting holes. image.jpeg
    I think the gold works very well with the all rosewood neck.
    image.jpeg
    Last little piece is the 50's style round string tree. I really love these.

Attached Files:

Frito-Man likes this.

19. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Here it is all strung up and ready to plug in. It's raining really hard but I will post better pictures in the daylight. The nut isn't glued down yet and needs to be lowered a little. The neck is huge!!! I had ordered a 60's style that was thinner but got this one. I will rock it for now but I may thin it slightly in the future. I wonder if it works? image.jpeg
    When I ordered parts I got this bottom bobbin for a set of blade humbucker tele bobbins that I have. I guess I will have to build another guitar to fit it in the future. image.jpeg

20. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I plugged it in and it sounds pretty good! Unfortunately the forward position on the toggle switch doesn't work. The rear and middle do. I'll open it back up and make sure all the solders at ok and that I didn't miss anything. It also looked like the bundle of caps and the resistor were going to touch. Maybe that's why fender started taping them. It's fun to play even with high action. I wish I knew how to play slide it would be perfect right now for that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.